A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonamebzja)
    Yeah, i just recently started going through some MAT and step papers , MAT is easy compared to step though and true there isnt much papers for MAT , make sure to try to fully understand all the questions and think of different ways to solve questions. Exam is in few months we need to smash it lol 💪
    I know it's easier but STEP has a lot more support and resources available which helps you understand how you're meant to be thinking and what approaches to take (Siklos' booklets being a prime example). I'm going to try working through the problems in his booklet and then attempt MAT again.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    I know it's easier but STEP has a lot more support and resources available which helps you understand how you're meant to be thinking and what approaches to take (Siklos' booklets being a prime example). I'm going to try working through the problems in his booklet and then attempt MAT again.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Yeah that would be better i guess , just found a siklos booklet online its really good !

ReputationRep:
    Subjects
    Maths: A
    Further Maths: A
    Physics: A
    History: A

Of these, only the first two count towards my A levels due to the A level reforms. I am taking all four next year alongside the EPQ (which I started in late spring)

Aspirations
    Go on to study physics at Uni. (I know, I regret taking history instead of chemistry but what's done is done)

ReputationRep:
    Subjects:
    Maths: A
    Fine Art: A
    Geography: B
    Physics: C

They are all predicted exactly by my teacher.
    Since I got 93 in my C3, I will try to do my best to get A* this year. I will probably redo Geo paper 1 to bump up my grades a bit to an A or maybe A*. I just want a B in Physics tbh.

Aspiration: Architect

ReputationRep:
    Results
    • Geography: Predicted B (I think?) / Achieved A
    • Psychology: Predicted A / Achieved B
    • Sociology: Predicted A / Achieved B
    • Biology: Predicted C / Achieved C
    Comments and reactions
    I was genuinely shocked with my results as I thought I was gonna completely **** up geography AND biology but turns out I didn't do as bad as I thought! I almost collapsed when I achieved an A in geography as I had been getting everything in the range of a C to an E all year. And now because my UMS is geog is so high (and the A-Level is still modular), it is physically impossible for me to get a U meaning I'm definitely gonna pass, yay!!!!! In terms of improvements, I definitely think I'm going to work more on psych and socio this year as I got too complacent/overconfident with them!I have dropped biology now and it is the most satisfying decision I have ever made

Future ambitions
    After finishing A-Level's, I'm hoping to study Psychology with Education at Southampton University. I still have a few open days to go to but I was blown away by Southampton and even prior to visiting, it was my top choice uni. Then I plan to take a postgraduate degree (also at Southampton) in primary school teaching (it's called the primary PGCE) to then follow on to become a primary teacher! It's all looking more optimistic now for me though thanks to my results Hoping everybody else got what they wanted!

ReputationRep:
    MAT and STEP are both easy, surprised more people didnt get an S.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for opinions! Be as brutal as you like.

AS Results:
    English - A
    Biology - A
    Art - B
    Maths - A (this was the full A-Level done a year early)

I dropped Bio and will be taking up AS Further Maths and I'm planning to apply to Cambridge for English Lit. My brother thinks I will be at a huge disadvantage if I only end up with 3 A-Levels instead of 4. He wants me to either continue Biology (lol no) or try and do the whole A2 Further Maths (which I don't think I can personally handle). Will I be fine as long as I get high grades in my 3 subjects at the end of Year 13 or should I be worried? Anyone else in a similar position?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMPhys)
    MAT and STEP are both easy, surprised more people didnt get an S.
    I sense a genius...
    Care to share some brain power (or tips)?
    Seems I'm the only one who's struggling on the MAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)

AS Results:
    English - A
    Biology - A
    Art - B

I dropped Bio and will be taking up AS Further Maths and I'm planning to apply to Cambridge for English Lit. My brother thinks I will be at a huge disadvantage if I only end up with 3 A-Levels instead of 4. He wants me to either continue Biology (lol no) or try and do the whole A2 Further Maths (which I don't think I can personally handle). Will I be fine as long as I get high grades in my 3 subjects at the end of Year 13 or should I be worried? Anyone else in a similar position?

Thanks
    You really don't need 4 for Oxbridge. 3 is just fine

ReputationRep:
    Maths - A / predicted B
    English lit - A / predicted D
    Religious Studies - A / predicted A
    Economics - B / predicted C

Pleased but disappointed with Econ as that is what I want to do my degree in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess im just really enthusiastic and ive read all maths i need up to analysis and such (pretty much knew undergraduate level math in yr 12) Alevel mathematics is really easy so if you really want to do maths at oxford or imperial and such you need to really know wayyy more math than anyone else thats what i did and just keep stretching yourself tbh the more you stretch yourself the easier the things tht were hard before seem...plus with maths like MAT and STEP dont just dive in when doing them kind of papers people who get the highest usually spend alottttt of that time reading through the whole paper without actually answering anything but trying to know what ones to go for first and how to tackle it before even doing anything .. and also try to compete in competitions like i was a physics olympiad, do things like that really good you learn alot from people and see how much smarter people actually are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)

AS Results:
    English - A
    Biology - A
    Art - B

Thanks
    You should not be at a diadvantagе however many of the people applying there have 6 Alevels all at A* so yh 5 Alevels here they onlyask for 3 so you should b fine

ReputationRep:
    Biology - Predicted A - Achieved A
    Chemistry - Predicted A - Achieved A
    Geography - Predicted A - Achieved B (Got close to the ums cap in my mocks in both papers wwwwwwwtffffff)
    Maths - Predicted A - Achieved B (s1 can jump off a cliff) ((again my mocks were better))
    Computer Science - Predicted B - Achieved C hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha end my suffering

ReputationRep:
    Maths Biology Chemistry Geography - AAAA in AS
    Predicted at A2 in Maths Chemistry Biology General studies- A*A*AB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Maths Biology Chemistry Geography - AAAA in AS
    Predicted at A2 in Maths Chemistry Biology General studies- A*A*AB
    That makes no sense you have clearly proven that you can get an A on the content yet you are predicted a grade below, it literally makes no sense......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rigby16)
    That makes no sense you have clearly proven that you can get an A on the content yet you are predicted a grade below, it literally makes no sense......
    ? predicted B in general studies, we do it only in year13 not year12 its a full A-level. Dropped geography

ReputationRep:
    Got A*AA at AS (around 94.5% average across all subjects - I have friends averaging 100%, 99.5%, 99.3%, 99.2%, 97.6% etc etc so I'm heavily disadvantaged in applications already because I'm a foreign student as well ) and been predicted A*A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonametosee)
    Got A*AA at AS (around 94.5% average across all subjects - I have friends averaging 100%, 99.5%, 99.3%, 99.2%, 97.6% etc etc so I'm heavily disadvantaged in applications already because I'm a foreign student as well ) and been predicted A*A*A*A
    Lol you do realise that unless you're applying to Cambridge, LSE or UCL Maths, no one cares about UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Lol you do realise that unless you're applying to Cambridge, LSE or UCL Maths, no one cares about UMS?
    I am a non-EU student. I'm already disadvantaged in every possible way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonametosee)
    I am a non-EU student. I'm already disadvantaged in every possible way.
    What has that got to do with what I said?
    You don't even need to put your UMS on you UCAS for any course bar UCL Maths AFAIK.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.