Chess games

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    obviously if you beat him he wasnt using a computer to cheat, because you are rated 1700 and even a very weak chess computer running on an iphone or something is 2300+

Played through it and he looks like a beginner making more or less random moves at all stages of proceedings.*
    Yep that guy couldn't be any less of a cheater XD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I've found it's so much easier to win on lichess than on chess.com. It's easy to maintain 1800 on lichess but wouldn't be able to do that on chess.com. Idk if it's me or something because ok, the ratings on lichess are very inflated but I actually feel like I play worse on chess.com, it's weird...
    It may be partially due to a superior engine but the analysis confirms i play worse on chess.com, i.e. more blunders and mistakes etc. My blitz on there is like 1280 now, and I find the 1300s seem to be more tactically aware, aggressive, and knowledgeable about openings (i.e. they know main lines and stuff) than some people up to 2000 on lichess, where my blitz is around 1750. I wonder if the layout can have any affect cos that's the only thing that's different. Indeed when I play OTB chess I play worse for a period because I'm not used to the playing arena looking like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    It may be partially due to a superior engine but the analysis confirms i play worse on chess.com, i.e. more blunders and mistakes etc. My blitz on there is like 1280 now, and I find the 1300s seem to be more tactically aware, aggressive, and knowledgeable about openings (i.e. they know main lines and stuff) than some people up to 2000 on lichess, where my blitz is around 1750. I wonder if the layout can have any affect cos that's the only thing that's different. Indeed when I play OTB chess I play worse for a period because I'm not used to the playing arena looking like that.
    Yep I actually thought it might just be the layout, which is why I'm now trying playing green board alpha pieces on chess.com like I do on lichess. Currently playing a standard game now so I'll see how it goes .

Ikr, if I play OTB now I will blunder like crazy just because it's so hard to process the pieces looking like that XD.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny playing against weaker players; if you blitz out your moves from the start they'll try to do the same to show off/one-up you but if you suddenly start taking a lot of time with each move they do too XD (and this is in standard chess lol).

ReputationRep:
    Yep I actually thought it might just be the layout, which is why I'm now trying playing green board alpha pieces on chess.com like I do on lichess. Currently playing a standard game now so I'll see how it goes .

Ikr, if I play OTB now I will blunder like crazy just because it's so hard to process the pieces looking like that XD.
    I've got my bearings a bit, stopping the rot but still low (think GBP/USD lol) but I used to be around 1400 on Chess.Com in Blitz and Lightning and am still struggling to break 1300. I don't see why I would have gotten worse, I know all that I knew then and I am certainly well practised at the moment. Standard tends to be quite a bit higher, haven't played that in a while.

Over the board blitz is especially bad. Well, the absolute worse is bughouse. At Warwick Chess they always want to and often do play Bughouse tournaments and I just hate it lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my bearings a bit, stopping the rot but still low (think GBP/USD lol) but I used to be around 1400 on Chess.Com in Blitz and Lightning and am still struggling to break 1300. I don't see why I would have gotten worse, I know all that I knew then and I am certainly well practised at the moment. Standard tends to be quite a bit higher, haven't played that in a while.

Over the board blitz is especially bad. Well, the absolute worse is bughouse. At Warwick Chess they always want to and often do play Bughouse tournaments and I just hate it lol.
    But bughouse is so fun! I think I've only had the chess to play it a couple of times of my life lol. Will enjoying actually playing with real pieces at Warwick haha.

ReputationRep:
    Ok at least 1450s still blunder on chess.com; he played Re8 blundering f7 after about 5 mins of thought! https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1703694940
    Hopefully I can maintain a solid 1700 soon, I like this whole alpha pieces green board thing, makes it feel like I'm on lichess so I play better XD.

ReputationRep:
    But bughouse is so fun! I think I've only had the chess to play it a couple of times of my life lol. Will enjoying actually playing with real pieces at Warwick haha.
    Not when you're just getting mated lol. Most people are better than me at Warwick. Hopefully getting some proper tournament experience will make me better next year.

ReputationRep:
    Ok at least 1450s still blunder on chess.com; he played Re8 blundering f7 after about 5 mins of thought! https://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1703694940
    Hopefully I can maintain a solid 1700 soon, I like this whole alpha pieces green board thing, makes it feel like I'm on lichess so I play better XD.
    Standard ratings are higher for sure.
    I see a trend in my ratings

Correspondence chess (24 hours to 3 days a move): 94th percentile
    Rapid chess (usually 15|10, up to 60|0): 85th percentile
    Blitz chess (around 3 to 10 minutes): 75th percentile
    Bullet chess (less than 3 minutes): 72nd percentile

Do more good players play faster time controls or are these results telling me something about my play..

ReputationRep:
    dont mind a game now anyone ?

ReputationRep:
    Intermediate level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sexathlete)
    Absolutely not :/
    Can play now if you want

ReputationRep:
    Can play now if you want
    Me too, set up the game and I'll log into my account

ReputationRep:
    <magic happens here>

ReputationRep:
    Me too, set up the game and I'll log into my account
    https://en.lichess.org/xpAIPgmH

ReputationRep:
    <magic happens here>
    0 inaccuracies, 0 mistakes, 0 blunders..
    Have you played chess competitively lol
    I suppose it was a short game and I moved too fast early on, missing the queen check then it was a worthless and exploitable position

ReputationRep:
    0 inaccuracies, 0 mistakes, 0 blunders..
    Have you played chess competitively lol
    I suppose it was a short game and I moved too fast early on, missing the queen check then it was a worthless and exploitable position
    I made mistakes around the mid game, I think
    my father was semi-pro which is when I play mostly

ReputationRep:
    Can't see any and neither can the (probably relatively weak) lichess analysis engine lol
    Ah I see

ReputationRep:
    That's some extremely accurate play... virtually 100% computer agreement....

ReputationRep:
    'semi' pro? How does one become 'semi' pro in chess? casual competitions ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.