The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieg617)
    Hi! I'm Charlie

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    I do volunteering and attend debate and public speaking clubs. I like animals and I love chemistry.

- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
    English Lit - AQA (Want a 7)
    English Lang - AQA (Want a 7)
    Chemistry - AQA (Want an A*)
    Biology - AQA (Want an A*)
    Geography - AQA A (Want an A*)
    French - WJEC (Want an A)
    Maths - Edexcel (Want a 9)
    Cambridge Nationals ICT - OCR (Want a Distinc*)

-What subjects have you already taken and received results in?
    Physics - AQA (A*)
    ECDL (Distinc*)

-Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?Going to be hard but I think preparation is key. Mainly worried about English Lit & Lang.

-What's your favourite subject(s)?
    Chemistry and Maths

-What's your dream career? To combine economics and chemical engingeering

Lets hope for a good year 11 with nice exams and low grade boundaries!
    Well good luck for all you yr 11's hoping for nice exams and low grade boundaries; the exam boards will always try and screw you over, and I think the grade boundaries are unpredictable as you guys are doing the new spec. Work hard though and I am sure you will achieve great things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxrxh)
    hi i find the new maths and english spec really hard tbh
    How different is it from the old spec?

ReputationRep:
    The controlled assessment for sciences is a bit frustrating

We are supposed to be starting our physics one but because I do triple science it won't count as its unit 1 so I'll have to do my physics controlled assessment after mocks in like January/ Febuary which I'm scared is a bit too late I mean I should be getting into revisionand things then not still doing coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimball)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm with OCR gateway, and I've done the thermistor controlled assessment :yy:
    sorry, but may i ask what you wrote for the hypothesis? i was told to write at least half a page,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    i agree, theyve added concepts from alevel material and the grade boundaries are supposed to be significantly higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra1500)
    i agree, theyve added concepts from alevel material and the grade boundaries are supposed to be significantly higher
    Yes, you're right- I am sure you will still do really well! Best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    Yes! Two people who do Edexcel ICT. How are you lot finding the Animal Shelter CAB?
    I need help on the animal shelter
    for activity 3 - video advert do you NEED a voice over at all because I would prefer it without. My teacher says I do but he is guessing.
    Is it a requirement to have a voice over in the video advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrxful)
    I need help on the animal shelter
    for activity 3 - video advert do you NEED a voice over at all because I would prefer it without. My teacher says I do but he is guessing.
    Is it a requirement to have a voice over in the video advert.
    Having a voice over is a requirement. If you don't want to do it tell the teacher to do it. That's what we did for some students. What grade are you currently working on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done english literature paper 2 pixl exam? Please help.
    I am doing power and conflict and animal farm.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck for all you yr 11's hoping for nice exams and low grade boundaries; the exam boards will always try and screw you over, and I think the grade boundaries are unpredictable as you guys are doing the new spec. Work hard though and I am sure you will achieve great things!

Yeah Physics proved that aha. Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieg617)
    Yeah Physics proved that aha. Thanks alot!
    What do you mean "physics proved that"? What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)
    The controlled assessment for sciences is a bit frustrating

We are supposed to be starting our physics one but because I do triple science it won't count as its unit 1 so I'll have to do my physics controlled assessment after mocks in like January/ Febuary which I'm scared is a bit too late I mean I should be getting into revisionand things then not still doing coursework
    I'm pretty sure it'd count, regardless of whether it's Core, Additional or Further Additional/Extension.

ReputationRep:
    Theres different topics that are more complicated

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here doing OCR 21st Century science? I'm writing my revision notes at the moment from a cgp revision guide but was wondering if it is worth buying a textbook instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzyambee)
    Is anyone here doing OCR 21st Century science? I'm writing my revision notes at the moment from a cgp revision guide but was wondering if it is worth buying a textbook instead?
    Yepp I am..we all use the cgp book

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am however, I don't think it is necessary to buy a textbook since the cgp revision guides cover pretty much all you need to know. Do make sure you make notes on the pages at the start too (labelled 'ideas about science')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    Yepp I am..we all use the cgp book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh good

(Original post by patriciaanne)
    I am however, I don't think it is necessary to buy a textbook since the cgp revision guides cover pretty much all you need to know. Do make sure you make notes on the pages at the start too (labelled 'ideas about science'
    I don't usually tend to tbh... Is it really necessary?

(welcome to the 21st cent club wooo there was like one other person when I was on the year 10 thread xD)

ReputationRep:
    Oh good

I don't usually tend to tbh... Is it really necessary?

(welcome to the 21st cent club wooo there was like one other person when I was on the year 10 thread xD)
    I would say it is -yes! The papers almost always have questions within the topics asking about things like how to make the results more reliable. You'll find all this info on the first few pages of the cgp revision guides :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    I would say it is -yes! The papers almost always have questions within the topics asking about things like how to make the results more reliable. You'll find all this info on the first few pages of the cgp revision guides 🙃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was in Y11 so much

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.