Turn on thread page Beta

HMRC 042R Officer Caseworkers (External) October 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katchooon)
    Just out of my interview in Cardiff. Just as expected! Two people. Two ice breakers (what do you currently do, why do you want to work here), then straight in with lengthy/detailed questions asking for evidence of a time when etc. A few follow-up questions from them. Time for me to ask any questions at the end. It lasted about 30mins..hoping thats a good sign as they didnt need to ask me too much?! Who knows.. They said we should have an outcome this side of Christmas with a start date in January but timescales weren't definite. Glad its over..good luck to those still to do it! It's not scary, I promise
    Glad it went well for you!
    When they went in with the length questions, did they specifically say "give me a time when you were effective at decision making?" / "describe a time when you have delivered at pace" or is it more wordy or vague than that? What kind of follow up questions were you asked? I'm REALLY nervous for mine on Friday! I like how they said "this side of Christmas", lol at least they've given themselves plenty of time unlike the emails we had been expecting lol

ReputationRep:
    Just out of my interview in Cardiff. Just as expected! Two people. Two ice breakers (what do you currently do, why do you want to work here), then straight in with lengthy/detailed questions asking for evidence of a time when etc. A few follow-up questions from them. Time for me to ask any questions at the end. It lasted about 30mins..hoping thats a good sign as they didnt need to ask me too much?! Who knows.. They said we should have an outcome this side of Christmas with a start date in January but timescales weren't definite. Glad its over..good luck to those still to do it! It's not scary, I promise
    (Original post by dontcallmesammy)
    Mine was yesterday and went the same!
    Did you guys take in notes? I have mine tomorrow afternoon and I'm currently memorising my answers, but it would be reassuring to take something in to make sure I hit all my points!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by webster89)
    When they went in with the length questions, did they specifically say "give me a time when you were effective at decision making?" / "describe a time when you have delivered at pace" or is it more wordy or vague than that? What kind of follow up questions were you asked? I'm REALLY nervous for mine on Friday! I like how they said "this side of Christmas", lol at least they've given themselves plenty of time unlike the emails we had been expecting lol
    In my experience with CS interviews (I'm in a Band O job atm) they don't ask it as blatantly as you said above.
    For Making Effective Decisions it would be more along the lines of "Can you tell us a time where you had to make a decision which you thought was immoral or proved to be unpopular and how you dealt with it?"

Essentially you will answer the question with your normal prepared competency, just making sure you address the question they are asking (i.e. make sure your effective decision bumped into some conflict but you addressed it by doing xy and z).

I've never had to do Delivering At Pace or Managing a Quality Service before so I'm not sure what those could be. I would suspect MQS will be to do with meeting a customers needs or going above and beyond for them. DAP could be about meeting deadlines and juggling priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaybot)
    In my experience with CS interviews (I'm in a Band O job atm) they don't ask it as blatantly as you said above.
    For Making Effective Decisions it would be more along the lines of "Can you tell us a time where you had to make a decision which you thought was immoral or proved to be unpopular and how you dealt with it?"

Essentially you will answer the question with your normal prepared competency, just making sure you address the question they are asking (i.e. make sure your effective decision bumped into some conflict but you addressed it by doing xy and z).

I've never had to do Delivering At Pace or Managing a Quality Service before so I'm not sure what those could be. I would suspect MQS will be to do with meeting a customers needs or going above and beyond for them. DAP could be about meeting deadlines and juggling priorities.
    I would agree with this statement. This is what I'm expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaybot)
    Did you guys take in notes? I have mine tomorrow afternoon and I'm currently memorising my answers, but it would be reassuring to take something in to make sure I hit all my points!
    I took in prompt cards, and others waiting to be interviewed (turns out three people are interviewed simulatenously in different rooms, every hour! This must be a huge recruitment drive!) had notes too. I found that the interviewers didn't interject so my example flowed as rehearsed and I didnt need to refer to them, but certainly no harm in taking them in!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! The questions were wordy, and pretty much to the letter as suggested in another response I've just read on here..you'll find that your prepared answer is relevant, the question is just longer/more detailed than 'tell me about a time you have made an effective decision'.. The follow up questions I had were how often I have to make decisions such as the one in my example, and how I felt my 'managing a quality service' experience went and whether I would do anything different. I had talked about the impact/ benefits of my action but guess I missed out the extra R in STAR on that example (reflection!), but it was great they prompted me to expand a little. It is a really relaxed atmosphere, if you know your example you'll be fine. Just talk, they will listen, and ask questions if they want to know more Big glass of vino for me tonight.. Now a two month wait for the outcome!! Lol.

ReputationRep:
    nice soundds like your inteview went well all the best for the result dont think you will have to wait for 2 months to know the outcome

ReputationRep:
    anyone had their interview today

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview in Bristol today, found it really tough as I felt they were playing a good cop bad cop routine. Not sure I did well but good experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_gw)
    Had my interview in Bristol today, found it really tough as I felt they were playing a good cop bad cop routine. Not sure I did well but good experience
    How do you mean, was one of them enthusiastic and prompting you in a good way and the other person trying to trip you up? Did they ask any questions while you were giving your examples? Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly that. That HMRC employee was really nice and seemed encouraging whereas the manpower employee really grilled me and questioned my answers. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    good luck when did they say they will let you know

ReputationRep:
    Okay, people who have had their interviews - what documents did you take? I've just re-read the pack (for about the 50th time) and noticed it states to make sure only the ORIGINAL documents are brought to interview (page 4 of the pack). However, all other parts of the pack say to bring originals and photocopies and they have the right to cancel an interview without all the relevant docs. I had fully intended to photocopy everything on my lunch break tomorrow, not sure if I need to?!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, people who have had their interviews - what documents did you take? I've just re-read the pack (for about the 50th time) and noticed it states to make sure only the ORIGINAL documents are brought to interview (page 4 of the pack). However, all other parts of the pack say to bring originals and photocopies and they have the right to cancel an interview without all the relevant docs. I had fully intended to photocopy everything on my lunch break tomorrow, not sure if I need to?!!
    I saw this contradiction too but took both and that was the right thing to do! Take the originals AND copies! They keep the copies and hand back the originals. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    The pack is contradictory. Take originals and a copy. Make sure you have all the paperwork needed. One of my fellow interviewees nearly got turned away from her interview for not having original bank statements. She was only allowed to continue as her partner bought them in whilst she was being interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_gw)
    Yeah exactly that. That HMRC employee was really nice and seemed encouraging whereas the manpower employee really grilled me and questioned my answers. Thanks
    That was my experience exactly, too!

ReputationRep:
    Struggling to think of a second example for delivering at pace, I'm so nervous for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview in Belfast next week. Are you allowed bring in notes? Seems like it may be more of a distraction than a help but I want to give myself the best chance I can

ReputationRep:
    My interview (in Cardiff) was only two days ago and I am already feeling tortured by the wait!! I know the guidance pack made reference to a wash-up session for anyone who couldn't attend in the two week window so that will no doubt be taking place over the next couple of weeks.. but I hope they don't make us wait 'til close to Christmas to find out! Also, from what I have pieced together there were approx 7 interview slots per day, over 10 days, and 3 people were seen simultaneously in each slot..so approx 210 people interviewed..wonder how many roles are available and what the ratio of acceptances/rejections will be? #JustFoodForThought

ReputationRep:
    My interview (in Cardiff) was only two days ago and I am already feeling tortured by the wait!! I know the guidance pack made reference to a wash-up session for anyone who couldn't attend in the two week window so that will no doubt be taking place over the next couple of weeks.. but I hope they don't make us wait 'til close to Christmas to find out! Also, from what I have pieced together there were approx 7 interview slots per day, over 10 days, and 3 people were seen simultaneously in each slot..so approx 210 people interviewed..wonder how many roles are available and what the ratio of acceptances/rejections will be? #JustFoodForThought
    Yes the wait is so painful, the lack of sleep is killing me! I am constantly checking my email, waiting desperately to hopefully get this job. They told me I would find out yes or no within 3 weeks from date of my interview, which means I should know by the 18th November - but I hope I don't have to wait that long! This is for Bristol though, I think interviews should be finished sometime in the next few days here, if not already.

I believe every centre is different though, as I am sure I saw someone say they were told they would not find out until December/January. Now I would NOT like to be them!!! I know some places were later than others starting with interviews.

I wrote this in an earlier post, but I asked them how many people they are recruiting. They told me they are recruiting about 1500 people across the country, but were unable to tell me how many per office.There are 13 locations across the country they are recruiting in at the moment, according to the Candidate Pack. Now I don't know if every centre is the same, but if it is and your figure is correct that means that they are interviewing 2,730 people across the UK. If that is correct then there is approximately a 55% chance of being accepted......

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.