Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of life? (atheists only please) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tevo1)
    Hi, sorry, but if you want my cumback you're going to have to scrape it off your mums teeth.

many thanks,

the sign reader
    common joke
    sarcastic thank you
    pretentious name

u sir are a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    common joke
    sarcastic thank you
    pretentious name

u sir are a ****
    Its not my fault he fell head first onto one, or should I say his mum did. And this coming from a guy who put Brenock O'Connor on a hitler poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tevo1)
    Its not my fault he fell head first onto one, or should I say his mum did. And this coming from a guy who put Brenock O'Connor on a hitler poster.
    Why is there beef everywhere today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tevo1)
    Hi, sorry, but if you want my cumback you're going to have to scrape it off your mums teeth.

many thanks,

the sign reader
    Lol. This is your point of life. Wow... your family must be very proud of you. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe Time isn't moving around us. we are moving through time. Time is a dimension so it is not one directional. I believe there probably are things that can move through time. This explains why we have never met aliens. Not only would they have to find us geographically. But they would have to find us in time. Since time is infinite that would be hard. If we go back in time no one will be there. Were all here, continuously moving through time. So anything we've done doesn't still exist somewhere. It becomes as real as a dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To survive and thrive.

ReputationRep:
    there is no point innit, whats point of dogs innit

ReputationRep:
    Life is truly what you make of it. There is no supernatural meaning; we create our own!

ReputationRep:
    For me, the point of life is simple: To have as much fun as possible, to do all the things we enjoy, before our time is up.

ReputationRep:
    Good ****ing question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shsstudent)
    I believe Time isn't moving around us. we are moving through time. Time is a dimension so it is not one directional. I believe there probably are things that can move through time. This explains why we have never met aliens. Not only would they have to find us geographically. But they would have to find us in time. Since time is infinite that would be hard. If we go back in time no one will be there. Were all here, continuously moving through time. So anything we've done doesn't still exist somewhere. It becomes as real as a dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  LITTLE WHAT.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  7.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Focusing on becoming enlightened through mindful experiences, and overcoming suffering
    Living with good morals and intentions, trying to be the best we can
    If you think you're living well and doing good things, you'll be happier overall, a kind of satisfaction
    We all have to find a purpose in life to be happy, for some that's god and religion, for others through mindfulness, music and arts
    Nobody needs religion to be truly happy, for some it helps as it gives them structure to their lives
    Religion is not for me but I respect others who are religious
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No gods so only nature is the ultimate driving force for our existence and even nature doesn't 'care' about what we do in that evolution is not a consciously purposeful process. So, in my view it's about getting through life with as little grief and as much pleasure as is reasonable to aim for, for yourself but also for others, being surrounded by unhappy people isn't good for us. Don't just stop to smell the roses, stop to have a whisky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazzarus)
    If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?
    Depending on which version of heaven you're talking about, they mostly feel like an eternal punishment anyway. I'll ask you in a billion years if you're bored of thanking god, or sneering through the gates at the hell-bound, or accompanying virgins (who won't really know what they're doing, right?)....

So the point of this life is to look after the place for the next bunch who come along. In the meantime, have as much sex as you can, eat great food, make your heart race, read Plato and Kierkegaard, be nice to people, do something that has a positive or useful impact on another/s.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there is a point of life... its like asking whats the point of a rabbit's life . were here as animals, nothing more . we live, we die .

ReputationRep:
    i would ask religious people the same thing. life is all about pleasing and worshipping your creator? for a higher place in which evil does not exist aka heaven? i feel that loving people equally, feeling happiness and pride and sadness and passion for something is extremely rewarding. to reproduce, to take part in the advancement of humans and make your mark on your history along with your ancestors?

ReputationRep:
    The answer is that there is no point. We're just a series of chemical reactions happening on a small planet in an unimaginably large universe. So yeah, in a concrete sense there is no point. However, the point, a personal sense, of being alive is that humans generally want to be alive. Humans have evolved to want to stay alive and that is the point- in the sense of how people justify it - of being alive. But I think what we need to remember is that although there is no point, there's also no point in dwelling on that. It doesn't matter that there is no point in the grand scheme of things because there is a point on a personal level. I stay alive because I have the capacity to feel happy, i do things because they make me happy. Yes there is no definite morality but as a human I have a conscience, doing things that harms other people makes me unhappy, doing things that help other people makes me happy. That's how we've evolved. Basically, the philosophy of life in my opinion is this: make the most of it, do what makes you happy and even though there is no definite morality, try not to ruin things for other people. If everyone ruined things for everyone else then there really would be no point in being alive on a personal level
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    9 years late, but may I ask why atheists only? I am not a theist but what’s wrong with theists giving their views on this?

ReputationRep:
    i think therefore I exist

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.