Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Oh fair enough. My school have always called it cover when asking me to do it so I guess I've got mixed up. I'm talking being left with our own class but alone for a whole day or two at a time while our mentors are absent. Which seems like taking advantage when we're so new at this.
    Well, they shouldn't be doing that either, since it's technically cover, really, but as you say it's very widespread. If you ever get asked to cover a class that you do not normally teach, that is an absolute no. I'm a bit rusty on the legalities now, but I suspect insurance would be the stumbling block here. You wouldn't be legally covered. Even the normal (state school) staff are not expected to cover unless it's an emergency. It's different at an independent school, but even there a student teacher wouldn't be used for cover, certainly not in my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I can't believe how long it has been since I have been on here... I literally have no hours spare ever and am on the go from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed, usually early hours of the morning.

I'm still currently doing 4 days in school and 1 day in uni, so I have no idea if I will be able to stick this course once I am in a school 5 days and planning more lessons.

I am about to catch up an a few weeks of lesson evaluations for my year 9 class as I never seem to have time to do them. I also need to set up a new teaching file as mine is bursting at the seams.

Hope you are all doing ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Hello

I can't believe how long it has been since I have been on here... I literally have no hours spare ever and am on the go from when I get up in the morning until I go to bed, usually early hours of the morning.

Hope you are all doing ok
    Hey
    Are you primary or secondary and PGCE or Schools Direct? Just wondering how workloads vary and what is in particular taking you a long time, is it lesson planning or have you been given additional tasks? Just curious!

I can't believe it's only 2 weeks until Christmas! It's going so crazily fast. Anyone else think that?

Also, was hoping to get some advice ... marking students' books I noticed one girl had written underneath one lessons work "I really hate this teacher". Now, I'm just not sure how to approach her with this - what kind of punishment would be suitable, or would it just need a 1-1 chat?
    I'm going to mention it to my mentor on Monday but wondered if anyone had any ideas...
    The reason she "hates" me, btw, is that I repeatedly told her not to talk over others and gave her a warning for this....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_box)
    Hey
    Are you primary or secondary and PGCE or Schools Direct? Just wondering how workloads vary and what is in particular taking you a long time, is it lesson planning or have you been given additional tasks? Just curious!

I can't believe it's only 2 weeks until Christmas! It's going so crazily fast. Anyone else think that?

Also, was hoping to get some advice ... marking students' books I noticed one girl had written underneath one lessons work "I really hate this teacher". Now, I'm just not sure how to approach her with this - what kind of punishment would be suitable, or would it just need a 1-1 chat?
    I'm going to mention it to my mentor on Monday but wondered if anyone had any ideas...
    The reason she "hates" me, btw, is that I repeatedly told her not to talk over others and gave her a warning for this....
    Firstly, don't take it personally. It's the kind of thing that happens to all teachers and it's a sign you are making her do stuff she doesn't want to do, which she won't like but which is part of what being a teacher is about, I'm afraid! You need to speak to the normal class teacher about this, but then tackle her on her own about it. Don't do it in front of her peers - you're giving her an audience to play up to. Few of them are brass-necked enough to stick it out and pick an argument with you face to face. As for the punishment, tear the page out of the book and make her write it up again without the comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Firstly, don't take it personally. It's the kind of thing that happens to all teachers and it's a sign you are making her do stuff she doesn't want to do, which she won't like but which is part of what being a teacher is about, I'm afraid! You need to speak to the normal class teacher about this, but then tackle her on her own about it. Don't do it in front of her peers - you're giving her an audience to play up to. Few of them are brass-necked enough to stick it out and pick an argument with you face to face. As for the punishment, tear the page out of the book and make her write it up again without the comment.
    Thanks Carnationlilyrose! I'm definitely not taking in personaly, if anything I find it amusing. Obviously I'd prefer to be liked but with some students, that would involve not making them do anything at all!

I will definitely speak to the class teacher and keep the girl behind to talk to her. Very curious about what she will say (I'm used to outright denial of behaviour but she can't really do that with the proof right there!)
    Thank you again, you're always the voice of reason in these threads

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Carnationlilyrose! I'm definitely not taking in personaly, if anything I find it amusing. Obviously I'd prefer to be liked but with some students, that would involve not making them do anything at all!

I will definitely speak to the class teacher and keep the girl behind to talk to her. Very curious about what she will say (I'm used to outright denial of behaviour but she can't really do that with the proof right there!)
    Thank you again, you're always the voice of reason in these threads
    No prob. Just been there, done that, bought the T shirt and now given it away to Oxfam.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel better, magic_box, I've ben called a "big fat slug" and another girl told her table that I "do her head in".

It's a good job that I don't get my self-esteem from the opinions of stroppy 9 year olds haha.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Carnationlilyrose is the voice of all reason on this thread, and her advice is good. I would circle the comment and write "see me" beside it. After the lesson I would keep her back and explain that it is inappropriate to write things not related to the lesson in notes, and what she did write was disrespectful and unacceptable. I too would make her rewrite the page, although probably wouldn't rip the page out - it sounds like there's already an issue with treating her notes badly, best not for you to replicate that behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Ah this thread is so quiet now! We're all far too busy!

Am i right in thinking most of you will change placement in the new year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    Ah this thread is so quiet now! We're all far too busy!

Am i right in thinking most of you will change placement in the new year?
    Yeah, I change placements at the end of January... and I can't say I'm excited about it. I love my school and my class, and I'm really going to miss them! I'm already looking forward to the Easter holidays so that I can finish the second placement and go back to my school!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a few smaller placements over the next few months (a week in ks3, 2 weeks in EYFS, an observation placement), then my final big one from March-June.

I can't wait for the next big placement. I'll be in KS1 which is where my heart really is. I've enjoyed the curriculum for year 4, but I don't have the temperament for ks2.

I finish my current placement on Wednesday and can't wait. As individuals I like most of my class, but as a class to teach I really don't enjoy it. I could deal with a handful of really badly behaved individuals, but a good three quarters of this class are constant low level disrupters and it's just beyond me.

I'll probably miss the kids as people, but I'm beyond pleased not to teach the whole class again.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been on this thread since the summer. The course is going fine, work etc is manageable just homesick which isn't so nice! Try not to over think everything I feel like this thread painted the demands of this course so much worst than they actually are!

Positivity is key for us and others who are planning to apply to teaching.

A week in uni and then it's the holidays. The new year will be much kinder to us all and the mornings will soon be bright again, motivation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSunshine26)
    Haven't been on this thread since the summer. The course is going fine, work etc is manageable just homesick which isn't so nice! Try not to over think everything I feel like this thread painted the demands of this course so much worst than they actually are!

Positivity is key for us and others who are planning to apply to teaching.

A week in uni and then it's the holidays. The new year will be much kinder to us all and the mornings will soon be bright again, motivation!
    I know exactly what you mean - the picture I got of the PGCE was much worse than I've found it! Sure I work most weekends, and I'm tired and looking forward to the holidays... but I'm only stressed out periodically, when I have a whole series of lessons to completely re-plan because the first one didn't work! Other than that, I'm really enjoying myself. Can't wait for the Nativity play tomorrow!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this thread is much quieter this year. I think all us last year were massive whiners!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm sure this thread is much quieter this year. I think all us last year were massive whiners!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can say that again! Wait until the second placement for the real whining to begin!

Congrats on almost finishing your first placement guys! Enjoy the holiday, you thoroughly deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    I know exactly what you mean - the picture I got of the PGCE was much worse than I've found it! Sure I work most weekends, and I'm tired and looking forward to the holidays... but I'm only stressed out periodically, when I have a whole series of lessons to completely re-plan because the first one didn't work! Other than that, I'm really enjoying myself. Can't wait for the Nativity play tomorrow!!!!!!

Yeah, i feel like it needs to be more positive comments to prevent putting future students off applying. I feel stressed sometimes from not being worried and stressed the way this thread painted it lol
    Oh enjoy the Nativity and the holidays

ReputationRep:
    How much of a demand is there for part time teaching after PGCE - is it a viable option? I'm enjoying this year but have no idea about next!

ReputationRep:
    I've definitely not found pgce as stressful as it's made out to be. The actual teaching part of placement is a steep learning curve, especially with a difficult class. But not as bad as I expected.

I've not stayed late at school much (never after 6), not been overwhelmed with planning at weekends and not found it too scary getting in the class with the kids. I've had one breakdown and that was an evening where I'd decided to plan three lessons the night before because I'm an idiot sometimes.

Not saying it hasn't been challenging or I've found it easy, but I was lead to believe "most stressful year of my life" etc and it just hasn't been.

I think getting your info online is a bit of an echo chamber...the people who need support are the ones posting here, not the people who are fine. It's a fantastic resource when you need a pep talk or advice, but not much good for applicants to get an accurate view.

ReputationRep:
    My class teacher commented that my behaviour management in today's lesson was good! I couldn't believe it as I am always self-criticising in this area. She reminded me that a significant number of children had behavioural and emotional needs. A few came into the classroom first thing already angry; having them engaged in Maths work was an achievement in itself.

3 more days to go... Now I can say that PGCE is hard work; the learning curve is steep and the finance is tight without big bursary. At the same time, it is doable and very rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm doing a pgce primary and my university does 3 placements. I've been with ks2 (year 6) since September and I just found out that I'll be in year 2.

I'm slightly anxious about teaching ks1 as I have more experience within ks2 and I much refer teaching upper ks2.

Any advice tips about ks1 would be much appreciated, especially with regards to phonics?

Thanks in advance [:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.