Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Porto was his best job in fact. If he'd won the taca final vs benfica he would be the only manager with two trebles(CL, cup, league) in two different leagues and probably would be the best achievement of his career by far.
    I always forget about Porto, that's the club that got his name known,
    He probably could have got the treble with Chelsea if it weren't for poor refereeing decisions in champions league
    I think mourinho is one of if not the best manager and I think the highlight was inter Milan for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I think that deserves credit. Mourinho did better though, he got in young players at porto and won a CL against the odds, made chelsea a winning machine and got inter a treble very few managers can do that in less than ten years of management.

Hmm, that's an interesting one. Because I'd say that Guardiola did exactly what klopp did at a better starting point and more money. Put in a new high pressure style of football and blooded in youngsters and revamped the team. Klopp has done well though, a steady progression to the pinnacle of european football from midtable battlers, almost fergie like. Wonder how long he'll keep it up. I keep on saying 5 years maximum but I don't know now, he seems to be a better version of wenger(yes I said it).
    To win the CL in 2004, Porto had to beat Monaco, Lyon, Deportivo, one of Fergie's worst Utd sides. Not saying it wasnt a fantastic achievement but its not as impressive as it sounds at first glance. His 2010 win at Inter is actually more impressive tbh. Hard to jude Mou elsewhere though because he's been handed world class players and/or the money to get world class players meaning his job is exclusively to motivate/prepare his squads. Mouinho does this better than anyone but Fergie so fair play, but I would genuinely love to see him at a club like Newcastle to see if he can do what Kloop/Wenger do. I doubt it.

Guardiola's only world class trait for me has been working well on a personal level with the Barca squad to help them achieve their potential. But he was already a FCB legend so I have doubts whether he can replicate this elsewhere. Its not like Iniesta/Xavi had to be told how to keep possession, he just allowed them them to do it. Tactically he's been one dimensional and often poor, he's had lots of cash to spend and done so normally badly and actually at Barca he didnt actually bring through many La Masia kids did he? He stuck to the world class players he inherited. And of course going to Bayern was cowardly.

Kloop/Wenger are both better managers than Mourinho/Guardiola in my opinion. Fergie's better than the lot.

ReputationRep:
    Mamadou Sakho has told PSG he wants out, wouldnt surprise me to see AW make a move as he'll be under-priced. Wouldnt complain.

ReputationRep:
    The footballing world has changed since Mourinho last left chelsea.Every team that was in the league when he was there has got 100% better.The only players i can think mourinho would better are hazard and lukaku. Terry's a waste of space.Luiz shouldn't be sold.This Schurrle is a cracking player,and overall their team is quite a travesty.Abramovich won't get a title this season,maybe a cup,but it's arsenal's or city's this year.I also think tottenham will fail.Why didn't AVB get sacked - Redknapp should still be there.I think there's about 12/13 teams that can challenge for europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    The footballing world has changed since Mourinho last left chelsea.Every team that was in the league when he was there has got 100% better.The only players i can think mourinho would better are hazard and lukaku. Terry's a waste of space.Luiz shouldn't be sold.This Schurrle is a cracking player,and overall their team is quite a travesty.Abramovich won't get a title this season,maybe a cup,but it's arsenal's or city's this year.I also think tottenham will fail.Why didn't AVB get sacked - Redknapp should still be there.I think there's about 12/13 teams that can challenge for europe.
    As the teams stand currently surely Chelsea and City have the best squads to challenge for the league? Arsenal at the moment are just a couple of injuries away from disaster (as someone mentioned earlier). This is all academic of course if Arsenal start doing business and get 2/3 quality signings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    To win the CL in 2004, Porto had to beat Monaco, Lyon, Deportivo, one of Fergie's worst Utd sides. Not saying it wasnt a fantastic achievement but its not as impressive as it sounds at first glance. His 2010 win at Inter is actually more impressive tbh. Hard to jude Mou elsewhere though because he's been handed world class players and/or the money to get world class players meaning his job is exclusively to motivate/prepare his squads. Mouinho does this better than anyone but Fergie so fair play, but I would genuinely love to see him at a club like Newcastle to see if he can do what Kloop/Wenger do. I doubt it.

Guardiola's only world class trait for me has been working well on a personal level with the Barca squad to help them achieve their potential. But he was already a FCB legend so I have doubts whether he can replicate this elsewhere. Its not like Iniesta/Xavi had to be told how to keep possession, he just allowed them them to do it. Tactically he's been one dimensional and often poor, he's had lots of cash to spend and done so normally badly and actually at Barca he didnt actually bring through many La Masia kids did he? He stuck to the world class players he inherited. And of course going to Bayern was cowardly.

Kloop/Wenger are both better managers than Mourinho/Guardiola in my opinion. Fergie's better than the lot.
    Wtf? :eek:
    Pep was being linked to all the biggest jobs in the world (e.g rumour is that Chelsea really wanted him). He agreed to join Bayern in mid-January and then the club went on to win the treble.

Not sure why that is cowardly? He obviously saw huge potential in the squad and knew that the owners of the club are great and that he'd be given a great platform to perform from.

ReputationRep:

He brought through and started to integrate Pedro, Busquets, Thiago, Montoya, Tello, Cuenca, Bartra, Muniesa, Nolito, Dos Santos and a few more. Not his fault that some of them havent made it through injury/drop of form/not making the step up.

And tactically poor? :lolwut: He gave Mourinho a spanking on more than one occasion whilst often radically changing tactics and formations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aaron kills again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23653821

ReputationRep:
    Guardiola and mourinho both better then Wenger and Klopp lol.

But they are different too be fair.

Also Sakho has been dreadful for a while. Think Williams would be better seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in comparing Wenger to someone like Mourinho? Both have had entirely different projects, both have entirely different man management styles. Wenger has his faults but in the last 8 years where money has been they key to survive at the top in football, he's managed to keep us around the top consistently despite being forced to spend on a budget, having to change our style of play every time a key player left us and of course building the Emirates. Could have won the league in 07/08 if it wasn't for injuries and the league cup twice - but I really don't think any other manager in the world could have done significantly better than him at Arsenal in the last 8 years. For me he is better than Klopp - Klopp knows how to manage a team, Wenger knows how to manage a football club.

There's no point comparing Wenger to Mourinho, they are complete polar opposites. I know who I'm happy to have had managing Arsenal all these years, and I know that over the last 8 years I wouldn't have wanted Mourinho here even if he offered to manage us for free. He is not what Arsenal are about, similarly I can imagine Wenger at somewhere like Bayern/Barca etc but never Chelsea, as he's not what Chelsea are about.

ReputationRep:

Deportivo had just beat milan 4-0 in a leg who were the finalists the previous year. Deportivo were a quality team at the time anyway and had won the league a few years back. Monaco had just beat chelsea and they did have one or two quaity players, such as giuly and evra. Fine lyon's a walkover though.

Mourinho had the chance to manage newcastle in fact but he turned it down, however if you think he can't manage small teams your mistaken. There's a reason he got the porto job.
    Mourinho found a new managerial post in April 2001 with União de Leiria, whom he took to their highest-ever league finish of fifth place after joining the club with seven games left to be played.[22] During his second season at União de Leiria, the team was on a run contesting places as high as third and fourth by January. After a 2–1 win against Paços de Ferreira on 27 January, the team was in third place, one point ahead of both Porto and Benfica and three points behind the top of the league table.
    Uniao de leiria are now in the second division since he left, so he clearly got them punching above their weight and when he joined porto he got them to 3rd place despite them being 5th at the time.

Now with guardiola, he fully intergrated pedro, busquetts, montoya, tello and thiago into the squad. He started to bring in muniesa and bartra but you can't say he's not brought in many youth players. He was only tactically poor in his last season, due to him wanting to use 3atb and trying to fit fabregas, and even then injuries costed him more than his tactical decisions, only tactical fail I genuinely saw was the second half of the second leg of the chelsea match, but tbh it's not his fault that his team played like donkeys in front of goal in both legs, could have genuinely got 7 goals against us if they were clinical.

Guardiola is a great manager, I know he had an easy sort of ride at barca and his signings in the 09/10 season were all shocking, but it's not as easy as people make out, the season under rijkaard they were 3rd in the league, clearly underacheiving on all fronts.

(Original post by CB91)
    He brought through and started to integrate Pedro, Busquets, Thiago, Montoya, Tello, Cuenca, Bartra, Muniesa, Nolito, Dos Santos and a few more. Not his fault that some of them havent made it through injury/drop of form/not making the step up.

And tactically poor? :lolwut: He gave Mourinho a spanking on more than one occasion whilst often radically changing tactics and formations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agree with the integration bit.

I'd say that the only criticisms of guardiola were his signings in the 09/10 season (maybe his final season too as sanchez flopped) and his tactical decisions in his final season, which really wasn't helped by injury problems, so it probably went hand in hand. Also think he started that over-reliance of messi, which does the goods for 3/4's of the season but he burns out or gets injured(which was clearly apparent the season just gone by.

ReputationRep:
    Mamadou Sakho has told PSG he wants out, wouldnt surprise me to see AW make a move as he'll be under-priced. Wouldnt complain.
    I would complain. Not good enough for the top level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)
    I would complain. Not good enough for the top level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agree hes been dreadful but maybe he might have a resurgence under Wenger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)

Please tell you aren't serious regarding what Chelsea and City will win. And Arsenal?

12/13 teams challenging for Europe? No-one who finished below Liverpool-bar Swansea and possibly Newcastle has a chance of qualifying for Europe this season.

ReputationRep:
    If we can't get Suarez I'm liking the look of benteke in pre season I know he's signed a deal but 20- 25 million? I'd have him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    If we can't get Suarez I'm liking the look of benteke in pre season I know he's signed a deal but 20- 25 million? I'd have him

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apparently Wenger is moving for Rooney again. I'd take him over Benteke because a fit and enthusiastic Rooney is a beast. But it's hard to see us beating Chelsea to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wenger has the personality of a damp cloth, you really think he's going to "motivate" 'Vayne Wooney'?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have benteke than rooney tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'd rather have benteke than rooney tbh
    Why? Is it because of Rooney's problems or you think that Benteke is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Benteke obviously isn't gonna come after just signing a new contract is he.

and Rooney isn't gonna come either because he'd obviously go to Chelsea if he does leave united.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.