The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

I think i'm getting a bit stressed and anxious at the moment. My boyfriend leaves for uni on friday and i've been so used to his support ove the past few months that I don't really know what i'm going to do without him. I'm sorta worried i'll just fall apart again and go right back where I started (i was in a rather bad place around the time we started hanging out but i've been getting steadily bettter).

My friend said to me a while ago that I was demanding (of my bf) so now i'm also worried about that. I don't think I am but i'm always second guessing what I do now incase it comes off as mean or demanding. He doesn't say I am and was actually very defensive of me and I think quite mad that my friend said it when I brought it up, but still I worry.
I don't want him to have any bad impression of me and he's recently come out of a bad relationship so i'm not sure if he'll be more sensitive or if he's the sort of person who's easier to push around and doesn't notice so much when it's happening.
I mean lets face it I can hardly be a low maintanence gf considering all of this **** i've got going on so maybe I am too demanding and he's accepting it eventhough he shouldn't. :frown:

Stressing out quite a bit about uni too. Will I be able to cope with all the work? Will I make friends with my flat mates? Will I be able to settle in and take care of myself? Will I get to see my bf much or will we end up distancing from eachother? - All of that stuff. :s-smilie:

----------------
Anyway I hope you're all doing fine. Much hugs and good wishes to anybody else who's just starting at or going back to uni x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7581
Seeing my care coordinator today. After the **** my brain has given me over the last few days this is going to be interesting.
Reply 7582
Proper update time.

Had CBT yesterday. Was properly terrified because I knew that after emailing her about really hard stuff I was going to have to actually talk about it. Having Nut. here beforehand was really helpful though. Stopped me going crazy with anxiety on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Nut. came into the actual room with me, which made me feel kind of.. secure? Therapist was appreciative of the email communication, which is good because I always feel kind of guilty for taking up her time outside of session. She said that it helps her to have the time to think of questions to ask me and an approach to take, so that's good, because emailing makes it a lot easier for me. We talked briefly beforehand about how I would communicate to her if talking was getting too much and I needed to stop.

Talking about horrible stuff was really hard. Lots of crying and brief feelings of tactile flashback, though I only went into flashback 'proper' for like 5 minutes towards the end. T was very sensitive and everything though and she said she didn't think it made me disgusting or that it is bad to talk about. Even though I don't exactly believe her, it's still sort of reassuring just to know that there's not horrible stuff about me in HER head (unless she's lying. And N said she wasn't lying and that she'd be able to tell).

T asked me to drop her an email if I have any post-therapy thoughts that I want to talk about, or if anything comes up over the week. N is still here atm and I'm doing OK, but maybe once she has gone home later I will start to go "****".

Anyway yeah just wanted to post because trauma therapy is really hard and I've spoken a fair bit about how anxious I was about this session. So just wanted to say that I got through it and actually feel some level of relief.
Original post by Anonymous

Can't help you i'm afraid but good luck. I've never had CBT like that but from my experience with other therapies it will probably be a bit wierd and maybe somewhat hard to fully understand to start with but when you get past that it will be fine. :smile: my dad had CBT in the same sort of way and he found it really helpfull for his anxiety :smile:

Maybe try google if nobody else can help x

Posted from TSR Mobile
So according to uni im only allowed to suffer from depression for 3 weeks during a certain period to be able to claim extenuating circs :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
So according to uni im only allowed to suffer from depression for 3 weeks during a certain period to be able to claim extenuating circs :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you get a doctor's note (or similar) saying that that requirement/condition is unreasonable?

It may be worth either you or Rory(contacting them on your behalf) contacting the disabled students officer in your student union, and see if they can help. My disabled students officer was helpful when I was helping Superwolf with some uni problems.
Original post by rmhumphries
Can you get a doctor's note (or similar) saying that that requirement/condition is unreasonable?

It may be worth either you or Rory(contacting them on your behalf) contacting the disabled students officer in your student union, and see if they can help. My disabled students officer was helpful when I was helping Superwolf with some uni problems.

My mums phoning the drs tomorrow to get another sick note :/

Its just silly the rules they have. If not i may appeal and say there rules are stupid :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mums phoning the drs tomorrow to get another sick note :/

Its just silly the rules they have. If not i may appeal and say there rules are stupid :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The rules certainly seem to not be helpful for people with long-term mental health problems. It seems they don't recognise the different between chronic and acute depression.
Original post by rmhumphries
The rules certainly seem to not be helpful for people with long-term mental health problems. It seems they don't recognise the different between chronic and acute depression.

Nope my claim wasnt valid because my dr had signed me off for "too long" apparently :dontknow: im definitely not holding my hopes up :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asdfgah
x

PRSOM. :sad:
You're so brave. :hugs:

I can't for the life of me think what I did, my stuff is at home, I think I did something about fair trade, and went to a 4 nations camp

Spoiler

The commonwealth is easy as well, as you can backdate work, so I did a lot of stuff without knowing

Hope your ok :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thank you very much! :hugs: I'll definitely ask my leader about it all. :yep: Decided to do the peer educator training weekend too. Super nervous about it! :eek3:
The school have said I can go along and help with the outdoor ed stuff. :woo:
Really hope you get your uni stuff sorted out. :frown: Are you okay? :hugs:

?!?!?! You mena it has to be a short term condition or that it has to occur during a certain phase of your thesis?
Reply 7592
trying to apply for helping in my department...can't think of a single good reason why they should choose me not someone else. :facepalm:

I wish I was better at the whole talking yourself up thing. Would actually really quite like to do it cos think would be helpful for me to feel more engaged in my degree and make me feel more like im not a complete waste of space, plus some of it just looks really interesting, but i dont think 'please choose me I really want to' is quite gonna cut it. gah real world adult communication is not my forte lol.
Original post by Sultana
trying to apply for helping in my department...can't think of a single good reason why they should choose me not someone else. :facepalm:

I wish I was better at the whole talking yourself up thing. Would actually really quite like to do it cos think would be helpful for me to feel more engaged in my degree and make me feel more like im not a complete waste of space, plus some of it just looks really interesting, but i dont think 'please choose me I really want to' is quite gonna cut it. gah real world adult communication is not my forte lol.

Exactly what Iv bolded...
THAT'S why they should choose you, because it will be helpful, interesting, which means your more likely to interact and get involved, and it will give you a purpose.

You can big yourself up, it's just finding the right words to put it in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having a wee roller coaster ride right now :yep: went from feeling borderline okay.. To feeling crap.. To feeling guilty.. To feeling a bit happy.. And feel like a ton of bricks have even dropped onto my head :|

Dunno how much longer I can carry on :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7595
Original post by -FireFlies-
Having a wee roller coaster ride right now :yep: went from feeling borderline okay.. To feeling crap.. To feeling guilty.. To feeling a bit happy.. And feel like a ton of bricks have even dropped onto my head :|

Dunno how much longer I can carry on :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do this!!
Been on the verge of a panic attack all day. Did no work yesterday and there's little chance of any happening today either. All I want is to finish my ****ing dissertation. :cry:
Reply 7597
Original post by superwolf
Been on the verge of a panic attack all day. Did no work yesterday and there's little chance of any happening today either. All I want is to finish my ****ing dissertation. :cry:

Why don't you take the rest of the evening off and try to relax a bit tonight? Sometimes I find having a planned break and a chance to do nothing without feeling guilty about it can help calm me down enough that things looks more manageable again and im never very productive when really anxious anyway. You are perfectly capable of doing this, so just breathe and start again tomorrow. :hugs:
Original post by Sultana
Why don't you take the rest of the evening off and try to relax a bit tonight? Sometimes I find having a planned break and a chance to do nothing without feeling guilty about it can help calm me down enough that things looks more manageable again and im never very productive when really anxious anyway. You are perfectly capable of doing this, so just breathe and start again tomorrow. :hugs:

Thanks. :smile:

BTW I've been meaning to PM you apologising for still not sorting out our trip to the Land of Haggis (TSR totally needs a haggis emoticon :haggis:smile:, but currently any mention of dates, numbers or Confusing Important Things makes me go into meltdown. :redface:
Reply 7599
Original post by superwolf
Thanks. :smile:

BTW I've been meaning to PM you apologising for still not sorting out our trip to the Land of Haggis (TSR totally needs a haggis emoticon :haggis:smile:, but currently any mention of dates, numbers or Confusing Important Things makes me go into meltdown. :redface:

Is nota problem, you've got other stuff to focus on.

Latest