Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Got to be honest, most British cities bar London are terrible places (Edinburgh is a good city though). They are basically identikit hellholes full of the worst kinds of the English. Liverpool? Leeds? Manchester? Newcastle? Forget them, I would not be fussed if they sank into the sea. Same with the **** towns surrounding them. Everything about those places is depressing, you know that when they're not even pleasant in the summer.

Durham is the best city in the UK north of London though imo, no place like home. I was born in London but my heart is in this jewel in the north.
    Venture out of Durham city centre and you'll notice it's just like all those other cities you described.

York is very similar to Durham too if you like that type of traditional cathedral city. York and Durham are the like Oxford and Cambridge of the north.

I'm in agreement with you though, I think most major cities in the UK are quite unappealing places to live, including London unless you live in zone 1 or West London (i.e. super rich).

ReputationRep:
    The dream is to move to Vancouver, Canada or a nice city in Australia/NZ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    The dream is to move to Vancouver, Canada or a nice city in Australia/NZ.
    Anywhere where there aren't chav/lower class scum is a nice place really.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is very good with languages though. I remember about 12 months back we were driving through Germany discussing the difference between German and Dutch, and he was just like to me ''you do speak German, you just dont know it man. Speak Dutch with a stupid German accent and they'll understand'' We were driving through Limburg and they have a very German way of speaking Dutch(btw you can describe that in one word) and so that was good.

Never knew I could speak German until then. ''Drop a vowel and guess when you dont know the word, youll be close enough'' Went back to Munich speaking Dutch basically with a Bavarian accent, absolutely understood.

My brother is sick with languages though. He has never been to South Africa, just met them and he will speak Afrikaans like a native just by hearing a few mates.

ReputationRep:
    You ever seen those muslims in the high street who start ranting about why the Islamic world is better?

2 questions:
    Why are you still here?
    What gives you the right anyway?

Seriously though, if you fundamentally believe in Islamic Law then just leave the country.You wont be missed.

ReputationRep:
    When an anus departs, the inside farts.

ReputationRep:
    Hate that, just put alot of money on Holland to beat Mexico and now I can't even watch it mate. No streams....

Always easier to be in Amsterdam before you bet

Yea but if Holland dont win, I am ****ed. Against Iceland we were dreadful, but Huntealaar is going to come in tonight....fingers crossed

I really wish I was in Holland tonight man....

ReputationRep:
    What's the best gig you guys have been to?

Saw the Libertines when I was 17 at the Kentish Town Forum, was absolutely sick. We got tickets in lower 6th, smuggled some whiskey in and it was happy days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    You ever seen those muslims in the high street who start ranting about why the Islamic world is better?

2 questions:
    Why are you still here?
    What gives you the right anyway?

Seriously though, if you fundamentally believe in Islamic Law then just leave the country.You wont be missed.
    so going from the last page about having no job what exactly do you contribute to society mate

why are you still here as opposed to someone willin to come from abroad and do some work but unable to get a visa. what gives you that right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Venture out of Durham city centre and you'll notice it's just like all those other cities you described.

York is very similar to Durham too if you like that type of traditional cathedral city. York and Durham are the like Oxford and Cambridge of the north.

I'm in agreement with you though, I think most major cities in the UK are quite unappealing places to live, including London unless you live in zone 1 or West London (i.e. super rich).
    Never understood why so many people want to live in London, I couldn't bear to live there personally.

The place where i'm living now is the ideal size really, a decent sized city with a big centre, good nightlife & vast employment opportunities. Most importantly I live on the other side of the city from all the crime, that's my main concern with living in a big city. I lived in one of the rough parts of Manchester for a while and there's not a chance in hell I am doing that again. If anyone remembers the Dogs Home fire I literally lived 2 blocks away from that.

ReputationRep:
    So basically you're saying jam lives in a ****hole.

Safe fam.

My boy lives in central.

ReputationRep:
    Man just got buried :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    btw got promoted at work after one week to the position I wanted to be in.

(Original post by sr90)
    Never understood why so many people want to live in London, I couldn't bear to live there personally.

The place where i'm living now is the ideal size really, a decent sized city with a big centre, good nightlife & vast employment opportunities. Most importantly I live on the other side of the city from all the crime, that's my main concern with living in a big city. I lived in one of the rough parts of Manchester for a while and there's not a chance in hell I am doing that again. If anyone remembers the Dogs Home fire I literally lived 2 blocks away from that.
    London is the capital.

Also if london is one of the most expensive places to live, you'd get a nice fat salary as well. Where do you think the big money jobs are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    So basically you're saying jam lives in a ****hole.

Safe fam.

My boy lives in westminster.
    Where abouts in London you from?

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts in London you from?
    East. Basically in an area that's starting to become gentrified. Tbh I'm moving into the City second as I get a job there.

(Original post by Parano!d)
    so going from the last page about having no job what exactly do you contribute to society mate

why are you still here as opposed to someone willin to come from abroad and do some work but unable to get a visa. what gives you that right?
    Ok that is a par and a half. Allow man.
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Not a thing. Will have to get a job very soon though since I'm running out of money and I could use a purpose in my life to go with my absolutely top education. My brother did languages at Uni and is sorted with a career and that, need to focus my own talents atm....
    :

My bro said this about me: ''You look the kind of guy who wants Germany to invade so that you'll have something to do''

I said:'' Nah mate, I'll have started it''
    Yeah job market is tough. You have to start from somewhere though. Must be a place that has good progression that you're willing to be a ***** for a few months until you get something else/get promoted?

Also I'm not working in retail until the day I get put into a grave. That is a pact. Soul destroying ****.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    btw got promoted at work after one week to the position I wanted to be in.

London is the capital.

Also if london is one of the most expensive places to live, you'd get a nice fat salary as well. Where do you think the big money jobs are.
    If it were that simple then surely everyone would live in London!

ReputationRep:
    btw zurich, what you looking at doing? You could probably get into IB with your credentials and a couple connections but I assume you're allowing that.
    (Original post by sr90)
    If it were that simple then surely everyone would live in London!
    Well the idiots who don't use their heads and get **** jobs with little progression would think that.

Matter of fact is that there is a lot of money to be made if you work hard enough for it. If you're willing to be somebody's ***** for a little while you will reap the rewards. In london, there is opportunities if you work hard enough for it.

ReputationRep:
    East. Basically in an area that's starting to become gentrified. Tbh I'm moving into the City second as I get a job there.
    Hmm haven't been to much of east london apart from Stratford and Ilford.

wait so is your job in London or Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm haven't been to much of east london apart from Stratford and Ilford.

wait so is your job in London or Liverpool?
    London. I live there now ain't been in liverpool since like july.

Btw I live around those parts.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been outside North/West London. I've only ever been to East to pick up a friend who went to a West Ham match.

I've heard dark tales about the South though...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.