Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aersh8)
    Lol I assume you've watched the ones where he tries to kill a spider or is having a barbecue then :P yeah I love my school and the teachers here are awesome, the only problem is that because it's a very small school there is a very limited choice of A level combinations you can take (eg you can only either take sciences or humanities - you can't combine them, A level further maths is not available, etc)

Where are you from?

No, I don't do economics is he another youtuber?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, he's getting pretty famous on YouTube now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol I assume you've watched the ones where he tries to kill a spider or is having a barbecue then :P yeah I love my school and the teachers here are awesome, the only problem is that because it's a very small school there is a very limited choice of A level combinations you can take (eg you can only either take sciences or humanities - you can't combine them, A level further maths is not available, etc)

Where are you from?

No, I don't do economics is he another youtuber?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol haha yep he makes me laugh Ahh that sucks!

I'm from the UK, I've never been to Greece before but it looks lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I'm doing Modern Greek, Economics and Classics. It's a fast-track course, meaning it's all done in a year. Pretty tough, though Greek obviously allows some fresh air

My offer is A*A plus the Apolytirion. I'm slightly dreading that A*, though I feel confident overall.

I can feel you! I loved Oxford too when I visited, and that's what really hurt when I was rejected. They told me that they didn't feel like I(!) liked the interview. I mean couldn't they just say "we didn't like you"? It made me feel super bad because I actually really enjoyed the interview :/

What's your offer? And I didn't even ask -what did you apply for?

Seriously??? He's amazing! Please tell him that we really appreciate his help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah my brother still feels the same way about Oxford, and he hasn't even received his feedback yet! What college did you apply to?

Natural sciences at St John's my offer is A*A*AA in maths, physics, chemistry, biology in any order. I'm really happy they didn't include Russian or self-taught AS further maths though, and that they didn't specify what subject they wanted the A*s in since that takes off a lot of pressure. I get what you mean about Greek - I did the AS last year (it was a bit of a joke) but I wasn't bothered learning Kavafi so didn't do the A2. Can Greek count towards your offer, or do they want those grades in economics and classics?

It's nice to hear that, and I'll pass it on next week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my brother still feels the same way about Oxford, and he hasn't even received his feedback yet! What college did you apply to?

Natural sciences at St John's my offer is A*A*AA in maths, physics, chemistry, biology in any order. I'm really happy they didn't include Russian or self-taught AS further maths though, and that they didn't specify what subject they wanted the A*s in since that takes off a lot of pressure. I get what you mean about Greek - I did the AS last year (it was a bit of a joke) but I wasn't bothered learning Kavafi so didn't do the A2. Can Greek count towards your offer, or do they want those grades in economics and classics?

It's nice to hear that, and I'll pass it on next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was interviewed at university. Ultra competitive unfortunately (78 applicants for 10 offers), but it's okay now. I'm totally over it! (I hope so at least ).

Tough offer! Best of luck! Your brother's offer was A*AA right?

Haha AS is honestly such a bad joke indeed! A2 does get a bit more advanced, and lately no A*s have been awarded at all (they set the boundaries too high so Greeks don't get advantage of it... I think they've overdone it though).

The LSE offer excluded Greek -KCL, Durham and Bristol do accept it though.

Hopefully we'll all have a great and stress-free summer post results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was interviewed at university. Ultra competitive unfortunately (78 applicants for 10 offers), but it's okay now. I'm totally over it! (I hope so at least ).

Tough offer! Best of luck! Your brother's offer was A*AA right?

Haha AS is honestly such a bad joke indeed! A2 does get a bit more advanced, and lately no A*s have been awarded at all (they set the boundaries too high so Greeks don't get advantage of it... I think they've overdone it though).

The LSE offer excluded Greek -KCL, Durham and Bristol do accept it though.

Hopefully we'll all have a great and stress-free summer post results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good! Any advice on how to get over it?

No, he's asked for AAA but one of the As has to be in maths and they've excluded Russian (his other A levels are history, politics and economics).

That's interesting - I've never heard of such a thing! I was sure they allocated the grades based on the average performance of the cohort, without skewing the grades at their own will. Which exam board are you on?

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yeah, but there will only be about a month left, and I'd expect to be busily preparing to move country and helping my parents move house... This summer, however, will definitely be the summer of least responsibilities until we retire :P do you have any plans for the summer yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's good! Any advice on how to get over it?

No, he's asked for AAA but one of the As has to be in maths and they've excluded Russian (his other A levels are history, politics and economics).

That's interesting - I've never heard of such a thing! I was sure they allocated the grades based on the average performance of the cohort, without skewing the grades at their own will. Which exam board are you on?

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yeah, but there will only be about a month left, and I'd expect to be busily preparing to move country and helping my parents move house... This summer, however, will definitely be the summer of least responsibilities until we retire :P do you have any plans for the summer yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that it really depends on the individual, and I'm usually not the type that allows stuff like this to hurt him. However, I'd say you brother should outline his future plans, and think how LSE will help him achieve them. He should consider that going to LSE will be equally as rewarding as going to Oxford, and the prospects post-graduation are identical (I'd actually say that LSE edges Oxford for careers in IB). Other than that, he should just think London -the capital of Europe

Awesome offer! Does he feel confident in achieving it? Please wish him the very best of luck from me!
    By the way, are you guys from Russia/is Russian your first language?

That's what I thought too -until I saw some statistics for the 2013 exam period, where no one was awarded an A*. No one out of 120 people! Edexcel (I think it's the only one offering it at the moment).

Haha true! I'm hoping to go to Santorini and perhaps Italy! Still not sure though!

What are your own plans? Will you visit any of the islands

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that it really depends on the individual, and I'm usually not the type that allows stuff like this to hurt him. However, I'd say you brother should outline his future plans, and think how LSE will help him achieve them. He should consider that going to LSE will be equally as rewarding as going to Oxford, and the prospects post-graduation are identical (I'd actually say that LSE edges Oxford for careers in IB). Other than that, he should just think London -the capital of Europe

Awesome offer! Does he feel confident in achieving it? Please wish him the very best of luck from me!
    By the way, are you guys from Russia/is Russian your first language?

That's what I thought too -until I saw some statistics for the 2013 exam period, where no one was awarded an A*. No one out of 120 people! Edexcel (I think it's the only one offering it at the moment).

Haha true! I'm hoping to go to Santorini and perhaps Italy! Still not sure though!

What are your own plans? Will you visit any of the islands

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah everyone has been telling him that but he refuses to accept it, but hopefully it'll pass he needs to get 3 Cs this year to meet his offer (because they take the average of AS and A2) so he isn't worried about that thank goodness. And I will!

I'm Russian but I was born and have lived my whole life in Greece, and I speak Russian at home, although I must note that my English is better than my Russian.

That is weird, good thing I dropped Greek then! There's also CIE here

I'm definitely going to the Peloponnese as soon as my exams are over, not sure about the islands yet. Santorini is awesome though, probably my favourite island after Zakynthos!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah everyone has been telling him that but he refuses to accept it, but hopefully it'll pass he needs to get 3 Cs this year to meet his offer (because they take the average of AS and A2) so he isn't worried about that thank goodness. And I will!

I'm Russian but I was born and have lived my whole life in Greece, and I speak Russian at home, although I must note that my English is better than my Russian.

That is weird, good thing I dropped Greek then! There's also CIE here

I'm definitely going to the Peloponnese as soon as my exams are over, not sure about the islands yet. Santorini is awesome though, probably my favourite island after Zakynthos!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, he could reapply if he's so keen on Oxford, but since he's got LSE, I'd say it's not worth it at all (particularly so since, as you say, it's practically unconditional for him). Congrats for his amazing performance by the way!

Ah awesome! A third language is an awesome thing to have when looking for a job! I'd like to attend some Spanish lessons during whilst at university, and I'm actually planning on doing so at the moment.

Yeah I know- I meant specifically for Greek. I'm personally taking my other A-Levels with OCR, and I'll be taking my exams in England (a nice way to revisit ).

Yeah! Zakynthos rocks as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, he could reapply if he's so keen on Oxford, but since he's got LSE, I'd say it's not worth it at all (particularly so since, as you say, it's practically unconditional for him). Congrats for his amazing performance by the way!

Ah awesome! A third language is an awesome thing to have when looking for a job! I'd like to attend some Spanish lessons during whilst at university, and I'm actually planning on doing so at the moment.

Yeah I know- I meant specifically for Greek. I'm personally taking my other A-Levels with OCR, and I'll be taking my exams in England (a nice way to revisit ).

Yeah! Zakynthos rocks as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah we'll see how it goes languages are awesome! I did Chinese at IGCSE and I really want to take it up again at uni too.

That's interesting, couldn't you have sat them in the British Council? Although it is really cool to go to England again my exams are all Edexcel and I'm sitting them at school (in the school's gym :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we'll see how it goes languages are awesome! I did Chinese at IGCSE and I really want to take it up again at uni too.

That's interesting, couldn't you have sat them in the British Council? Although it is really cool to go to England again my exams are all Edexcel and I'm sitting them at school (in the school's gym :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OCR is limited to the UK now, since CIE (its sister board) is international. I'm definitely excited about going there again!

Haha that must be a nice scenery there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    omg is that blamethenargles?!

How have you been? What have you firmed and insurance'd?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Long time no see!

Time is flying too fast indeed

What choices you made then?
    I've been good thank you both!! Well, very stressed and tired but aye I'm still here and that's what matters, right?
    I decided on Nottingham as my firm choice (Spanish German and Translation studies) and Chester for my insurance (Spanish), went to Chester for the first time for the applicant's day and it was so pretty, and the entry requirements are pretty low so it's a good insurance!
    I applied for my Nottingham accommodation early this week and my letter regarding student finance arrived yesterday!
    IT'S ALL HAPPENING SO QUICKLY AHHHHH help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blamethenargles)
    I've been good thank you both!! Well, very stressed and tired but aye I'm still here and that's what matters, right?
    I decided on Nottingham as my firm choice (Spanish German and Translation studies) and Chester for my insurance (Spanish), went to Chester for the first time for the applicant's day and it was so pretty, and the entry requirements are pretty low so it's a good insurance!
    I applied for my Nottingham accommodation early this week and my letter regarding student finance arrived yesterday!
    IT'S ALL HAPPENING SO QUICKLY AHHHHH help
    Indeedo, what's life without a bit of stress ay

Nice!! Spanish and German nice mix. Have you done German before?

Ooooooh, I want to sort student finance out this week I think

It is way too fast, but I've got to the point where I think even though I don't want the change, I need it. My life now and the people in it aren't exactly good for me lol, need to move on.

ReputationRep:

It is way too fast, but I've got to the point where I think even though I don't want the change, I need it. My life now and the people in it aren't exactly good for me lol, need to move on.
    Life without stress = great fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks! I'm doing German as part of "compulsory enrichment" in College, and I have family in Germany so the Mother and I are going over in the summer after my exams!
    I'm just trying to keep as ahead of the game as I can, keep the anxiety levels on the down-low and whatnot.
    That was like me moving from my high school to college, I don't see anyone from there anymore because I left on bad terms with everyone (typical teen drama) but I've made so many good friends since moving to college and it was such a big change and now I don't want to leave them, but at least I've experienced the whole 'leaving-people-behind-thing' before so it won't be too overwhelming (I hope)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Life without stress = great fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I stress about things like... Well, it's only ever people :lol:

I wouldn't even call it stress, more worry

Thanks! I'm doing German as part of "compulsory enrichment" in College, and I have family in Germany so the Mother and I are going over in the summer after my exams!
    I'm just trying to keep as ahead of the game as I can, keep the anxiety levels on the down-low and whatnot.
    That was like me moving from my high school to college, I don't see anyone from there anymore because I left on bad terms with everyone (typical teen drama) but I've made so many good friends since moving to college and it was such a big change and now I don't want to leave them, but at least I've experienced the whole 'leaving-people-behind-thing' before so it won't be too overwhelming (I hope)
    Ooh nice. I wish we had some sort of language enrichment.

Sounds like a good plan!

Haha teen drama is where it's at. I hope I don't leave on bad terms with anybody, but can never tell with people.

Goodbyes are hard, I avoid them completely but I think I'll actually have to say them this year, because uni is a whole different place. Whereas high school to college was still the same city

ReputationRep:
    Ooh nice. I wish we had some sort of language enrichment.

Sounds like a good plan!

Haha teen drama is where it's at. I hope I don't leave on bad terms with anybody, but can never tell with people.

Goodbyes are hard, I avoid them completely but I think I'll actually have to say them this year, because uni is a whole different place. Whereas high school to college was still the same city
    Yeah I agree! Moving to college was like a warm up for the real thing, because at least if I didn't make any friends in college my old ones were still near by!!
    I'm hoping it'll give me the opportunity to travel around the UK because my friends are really spread out so I can visit them and vice versa^-^
    I'll be okay, I have Netflix and my ever expanding book collection!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree! Moving to college was like a warm up for the real thing, because at least if I didn't make any friends in college my old ones were still near by!!
    I'm hoping it'll give me the opportunity to travel around the UK because my friends are really spread out so I can visit them and vice versa^-^
    I'll be okay, I have Netflix and my ever expanding book collection!
    Yeah that's one thing I hope will happen. Spread around a bit, can do some visiting.

I started chuck last week on Netflix... Over half way into Season 3 burning through too fast

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's one thing I hope will happen. Spread around a bit, can do some visiting.

I started chuck last week on Netflix... Over half way into Season 3 burning through too fast
    Niiiiice! Yeah, I know the feeling, I started and finished the Mortal Instruments book series in a week. Finished City of Heavenly Fire last night and now I feel a little empty inside. I started watching Pokemon again in a wild attempt to cope with my emotions.

ReputationRep:
    Niiiiice! Yeah, I know the feeling, I started and finished the Mortal Instruments book series in a week. Finished City of Heavenly Fire last night and now I feel a little empty inside. I started watching Pokemon again in a wild attempt to cope with my emotions.
    I haven't read a book in so long.

That empty feeling is annoying

Aaah, pokemon :moon: new film coming out I hear, all the legendaries coming out

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read a book in so long.

That empty feeling is annoying

Aaah, pokemon :moon: new film coming out I hear, all the legendaries coming out

A life without books :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.