Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1239)
    Hi guys,

I'm doing a pgce primary and my university does 3 placements. I've been with ks2 (year 6) since September and I just found out that I'll be in year 2.

I'm slightly anxious about teaching ks1 as I have more experience within ks2 and I much refer teaching upper ks2.

Any advice tips about ks1 would be much appreciated, especially with regards to phonics?

Thanks in advance [:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phonics isn't too bad. If anything I'd say the main challenge is keeping it interesting and fast enough as it is very repetitive.

Your school will likely follow some sort of scheme, it may even have a full plan for each session. There will be lots of support so don't panic!

I'd recommend buying a copy of Letters and Sounds if you can find one online -it lists all the graphemes to teach in a good order, lists correspondences between phonemes and graphemes plus example words using different phonemes (good for when thinking up activities, you don't have to spend ages thinking of words). It also has lots of suggested activities to use. You can plan a whole week or more of sessions in a short time by just rotating through different activities.

The sessions will just be a series of short games to recap then learn something new and practice using it.

Don't worry about the terminology, it can seem confusing but it doesn't take long to pick up. I found the book "Reading Under Control" was very good at explaining it if you can find that in the library.

If you struggle with timing like I did at first, just remember that the NEW content is most important. If you need to cut the recap short, do.

Good luck! KS1 is lovely... They are eager to learn. They like being outside. Read them lots of stories. Remember that some of them wont have communication down yet so look at the whole picture, not just what they say. And remember they will have recently come from early years so even in a free play, independent focussed KS1 settings there is gonna be more structure that they are still getting used to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Phonics isn't too bad. If anything I'd say the main challenge is keeping it interesting and fast enough as it is very repetitive.

Your school will likely follow some sort of scheme, it may even have a full plan for each session. There will be lots of support so don't panic!

I'd recommend buying a copy of Letters and Sounds if you can find one online -it lists all the graphemes to teach in a good order, lists correspondences between phonemes and graphemes plus example words using different phonemes (good for when thinking up activities, you don't have to spend ages thinking of words). It also has lots of suggested activities to use. You can plan a whole week or more of sessions in a short time by just rotating through different activities.

The sessions will just be a series of short games to recap then learn something new and practice using it.

Don't worry about the terminology, it can seem confusing but it doesn't take long to pick up. I found the book "Reading Under Control" was very good at explaining it if you can find that in the library.

If you struggle with timing like I did at first, just remember that the NEW content is most important. If you need to cut the recap short, do.

Good luck! KS1 is lovely... They are eager to learn. They like being outside. Read them lots of stories. Remember that some of them wont have communication down yet so look at the whole picture, not just what they say. And remember they will have recently come from early years so even in a free play, independent focussed KS1 settings there is gonna be more structure that they are still getting used to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks so much for your advice, it was very helpful. I've come across the Letters and Sounds scheme, I'll definitely have a proper look.

I've had so much experience in ks2 compared to ks1. I've only spent 2 weeks in year 2 once, I think it's just unfamiliarity with thr year group that's making me worried. But , I'm looking forward to the experience because it'll be different to teaching the older ones.

ReputationRep:
    If you hand in a PGCE assignment late does it mean you will be capped at the pass percentage? (50%)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by xjay1234)
    If you hand in a PGCE assignment late does it mean you will be capped at the pass percentage? (50%)
    Depends on your uni policy.

ReputationRep:
    I handed in on time.

Now I can enjoy my Christmas break!

33.3% of the course done!

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Depends on your uni policy.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when NQT jobs start to appear online? Just had a bit of a look (I got an NUT job finding booklet through the post) and it doesn't seem like there's anything yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily131)
    Does anyone know when NQT jobs start to appear online? Just had a bit of a look (I got an NUT job finding booklet through the post) and it doesn't seem like there's anything yet!
    You'll want to look at this post! https://community.tes.com/threads/fi...dition.723162/

I've been looking on and off since I started the course in September. Probably because I'm terrified I've made the wrong decision and won't be able to get a job once I'm finished with the PGCE. Which is silly, because I've chosen to do secondary school science.......
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Anytime now. It usually builds up from January and then goes crazy after Easter.

I found my job about a week before I finished my PGCE and I'm glad I was so picky. Don't settle or your NQT year will be hell.

ReputationRep:
    I got my job at easter. Around a quarter of my course had a job by then, mine was the first id applied for!

ReputationRep:
    We had a lecture on this just before Christmas.

They said the first rush of jobs appear in January and February. Then another rush at Easter. And another at the end of May when the last resignations come in. And even in August there can be a mini-rush if a school ends up with a surprise extra class.

That might be specific to the Manchester region though. I know the Oldham job pool is already open and closes mid-January but there's almost nothing else on TES atm in the NW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    We had a lecture on this just before Christmas.

They said the first rush of jobs appear in January and February. Then another rush at Easter. And another at the end of May when the last resignations come in. And even in August there can be a mini-rush if a school ends up with a surprise extra class.

That might be specific to the Manchester region though. I know the Oldham job pool is already open and closes mid-January but there's almost nothing else on TES atm in the NW.
    Good point. If your county/counties have a job pool they tend to close earlier to give them a chance to do pool interviews ready for when jobs appear, around January time for Primary. Iirc Suffolk has one which it is highly advised to use as most heads recruit from there, but Norfolk and Cambs don't have one, or at least not one that is really used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Anytime now. It usually builds up from January and then goes crazy after Easter.

I found my job about a week before I finished my PGCE and I'm glad I was so picky. Don't settle or your NQT year will be hell.
    I've heard not to settle from quite a few people! What if they're the only offer you get though

ReputationRep:
    I've heard not to settle from quite a few people! What if they're the only offer you get though
    From what I've been told, it's more about only applying and taking interviews at schools that you really think will fit your needs and wants. Go and visit the schools that you are applying to, to see if you like it. If something doesn't fit with your philosophies or ethos, don't apply. Same if it's through a pool - have a really good look around the school website, and if you can visit the school then great. If you don't like it, don't go to interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    From what I've been told, it's more about only applying and taking interviews at schools that you really think will fit your needs and wants. Go and visit the schools that you are applying to, to see if you like it. If something doesn't fit with your philosophies or ethos, don't apply. Same if it's through a pool - have a really good look around the school website, and if you can visit the school then great. If you don't like it, don't go to interview...
    Ooh ok, I wasn't aware we could visit before we applied. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ooh ok, I wasn't aware we could visit before we applied. Thanks
    Most of the job applications (don't know about pools, possibly they are different) say something like "visits to the school are welcome/encouraged" - there was something in TES magazine about this time last year about job applications where they said that, basically, by visiting the school before the interview, you appear to be taking the application a lot more seriously than if you don't. Although if you have an exceptional reason for not visiting, make sure you mention it!

Also, if you have any NQTs at your school, maybe ask them when they knew they'd found the right job (if they found it!) - I'll be asking my NQT friend in January when we get back to school.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the job applications (don't know about pools, possibly they are different) say something like "visits to the school are welcome/encouraged" - there was something in TES magazine about this time last year about job applications where they said that, basically, by visiting the school before the interview, you appear to be taking the application a lot more seriously than if you don't. Although if you have an exceptional reason for not visiting, make sure you mention it!

Also, if you have any NQTs at your school, maybe ask them when they knew they'd found the right job (if they found it!) - I'll be asking my NQT friend in January when we get back to school.
    Silly question maybe but I'm just wondering how on earth we are supposed to take the time out to visit schools before an interview when we also need to make 120 days on placement!

ReputationRep:
    Some universities do allow you the time to visit school for interviews. My uni told us we could have the morning or afternoon off if we have an interview, as long as we let them know in advance about it.

ReputationRep:
    Silly question maybe but I'm just wondering how on earth we are supposed to take the time out to visit schools before an interview when we also need to make 120 days on placement!
    Well my rough calculations suggest that I have 144 days in school (although I'm school direct), and I doubt (read "hope not") that I'm going to spend 24 days visiting and interviewing! Not sure how it will work for uni based students, but it has to somehow!

ReputationRep:
    Well my rough calculations suggest that I have 144 days in school (although I'm school direct), and I doubt (read "hope not" that I'm going to spend 24 days visiting and interviewing! Not sure how it will work for uni based students, but it has to somehow!
    I'm uni based and from counting the days on my timetable (sad I know) it looks like we don't have that many extra days if any! But I'm sure it will work out somehow :P

ReputationRep:
    I used PPA time and arranged the visits at the start or end of the school day to be less disruptive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.