you should say 我要和你说中文
    i need to include tranlsation: i want to speak chinese with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Nice Chinese comma there haha!
    I was hoping you'd use some sort of nCr thing T_T
    Oh well there are...

6 spaces
    But the fact two can't sit next to each other makes me just write it all out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Oh well there are...

6 spaces
    But the fact two can't sit next to each other makes me just write it all out
    nvm

I figured it out, it's 6!-2(5!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    nvm

I figured it out, it's 6!-2(5!)
    480?

I was going to find all the combinations of A first, Times by 4.

Do the same with b multiply by 2.

Add them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    renwei? I've never seen that before so I don't actually know ask Jack

Can you do this question?

Abigail, Bahar, Chris, Dasha, Eustace and Franz are sitting next to each other in 6 seats in a cinema. Bahar and Eustace cannot sit next to each other. In how many different ways can they permute themselves?
    480?

Ahh, edit: I agree fish.

double edit: didn't see Bude's comment. Consider the number of ways that B and E will sit together and then subtract that from the total number of permutations (6!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    480?

Ahh, edit: I agree fish.

double edit: didn't see Bude's comment. Consider the number of ways that B and E will sit together and then subtract that from the total number of permutations (6!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that's a good way :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    要 is sort of demanding, if you know what I mean. I don't really use it in that sense... Maybe it's just me
    I use 想, it's sort of "would like to"

Can you do this question?

The expansion of (a+x)^n where n\in\mathbb{N} has the form:

a^n + ... + \alpha x^r + \beta x^{r+1} + \gamma x^{r+2} + ... + x^n

a. Show that the ratio of \frac{\alpha}{\beta} is \frac{r+1}{n-r} a

b. If a=1 show that the expansion will contain two consecutive terms with the same coefficient as long as n is odd.

c. Using the result of part a. deduce and expression for \frac{\beta}{\gamma}

d. Prove that there are no values for a such that in the expansion of (a+x)^n, n\in\mathbb{N}, three consecutive terms have the same coefficient.
    a) Consider that \displaystyle (a+x)^n = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k a^{n-k}

Equate coefficients with x^r for k=r from the series representation above with \alpha and \beta.

b) If a = 1 then \displaystyle (1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k and consider the identity \displaystyle \binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{n-k}.

c) From part a, let r \to r+1

d) If three consecutive terms have the same coefficient then their ratio must be equal to 1 (i.e. \frac{\alpha}{\beta}=\frac{\beta  }{\gamma} = 1). Use the expressions that you've derived for \frac{\alpha}{\beta} and \frac{\beta}{\gamma} and assume that such an a exists, cancel out and you will arrive at an absurdity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    a) Consider that \displaystyle (a+x)^n = \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k a^{n-k}

Equate coefficients with x^r for k=r from the series representation above with \alpha and \beta.

b) If \alpha = 1 then \displaystyle (1+x)^n = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} x^k and consider the identity \displaystyle \binom{n}{k} = \binom{n}{n-k}.

c) From part a, let r \to r+1

d) If three consecutive terms have the same coefficient then their ratio must be equal to 1 (i.e. \frac{\alpha}{\beta}=\frac{\beta  }{\gamma} = 1). Use the expressions that you've derived for \frac{\alpha}{\beta} and \frac{\beta}{\gamma} and assume that such an a exists, cancel out and you will arrive at an absurdity.
    Haven't been taught sums and the Sigma thingy yet T_T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Can you take more than 3 HL?

Trust me it's crap. The IB is the only way they get people to apply apart from to vocational courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can take up to 4 HLs.

If the college you'd attend if you were to do the IB is a relatively **** one then you really shouldn't do it - if the school doesn't really understand how the IB works, your coursework could come back to haunt you. What's the average point score like?

Either way, I'd advise against IB. It's more challenging than A levels imo but if you're unchallenged in A levels, there are plenty of ways to enrich your knowledge that won't require you to take an exam at the end of 2 years which your university place will depend on. With IB, you'd have a harder workload, you'd be doing subjects that you'd likely not enjoy, you'd have a shed load of coursework and ultimately you'll have harder university offers which are easier to screw up on.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, after spending the entire autumn term looking forward to getting time off, I'm finding the holidays even more stressful than term time...

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see...

认为 = to think
    As well right?
    yeah you could also use 觉得, that's more of an I feel though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Haven't been taught sums and the Sigma thingy yet T_T
    wait...

you're doing IB but haven't done sum notation yet? :holmes:

wat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    yeah you could also use 觉得, that's more of an I feel though
    That's on my list too

(Original post by MangoFreak)
    wait...

wat
    That's not really fair, I'd expect them to start it after Christmas if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    That's not really fair, I'd expect them to start it after Christmas if I'm honest.
    I'm not judging, it's just challenged my preconceptions.

Why would you not be honest?

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not judging, it's just challenged my preconceptions.

Why would you not be honest?

:mmm:
    Because I'd normally join the slaughter of the IB

Although I think they should roll out IB as the norm and A levels as the option for those who can't cope.

ReputationRep:
    Because I'd normally join the slaughter of the IB

Although I think they should roll out IB as the norm and A levels as the option for those who can't cope.
    I think A levels are hard enough as it is - they shouldn't be seen as the "soft option"

ReputationRep:
    wait...

wat
    Not everyone does the course in the same order...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    I think A levels are hard enough as it is - they shouldn't be seen as the "soft option"
    Which a levels?

Geography is a complete joke (I think you do it, no offence) and I dropped it because it was just too easy and dull.

And to think it's a respected one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    To be fair that's most likely due to the fairly terrible standards of pre-16 education making most students unprepared for A Levels. They only need to make it a bit better, it's not even that bad.

Having said that, Fish doesn't understand the plights of the less capable very well :mmm:

(I hope that was phrased in as least an insulting way as possible.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Not everyone does the course in the same order...
    Ah okay. I wasn't judging, again, I was just confused given the previously attested rigour of the IB.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.