Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think my uni have scheduled us in for 127 or so school days. So we have seven days we can miss through illness or interviews. Not sure how it works if you just take an afternoon off to see a school, whether that's a whole day from the requirements or just half.

Our normal last day of uni is the 1st July, and we then make up any extra days we need for the 120 until the end of term.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the MEd after completing a PGCE?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I think my uni have scheduled us in for 127 or so school days. So we have seven days we can miss through illness or interviews. Not sure how it works if you just take an afternoon off to see a school, whether that's a whole day from the requirements or just half.

Our normal last day of uni is the 1st July, and we then make up any extra days we need for the 120 until the end of term.
    We didn't have interviews count against our days. Not sure if your uni will be the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    We didn't have interviews count against our days. Not sure if your uni will be the same?
    Unfortunately not. :no: We've been told they definitely count, just not whether we can loophole it by counting them as half days or using PPA/NQT time and avoid it counting at all.

Edit: Actually, I can't entirely recall if using our days referred to interviews or just visits. But since most schools like you to visit before applying, its a similar issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Did anyone do the MEd after completing a PGCE?
    I did the MA Teaching if that is any use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I did the MA Teaching if that is any use?
    Part time? Do you think its worth doing after? I'm maybe thinking of doing research in the future and having an MEd would help I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Part time? Do you think its worth doing after? I'm maybe thinking of doing research in the future and having an MEd would help I guess.
    Yes, part time over 3 years. I did it because I like the research/theory side of education and like you something I may want to do in the future. However, I would advise doing your NQT year first and then starting it. It is a lot of work to be doing alongside full-time teaching and I went from A-levels, undergrad, PGCE, MA and I wish I had taken a break from education between all of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Yes, part time over 3 years. I did it because I like the research/theory side of education and like you something I may want to do in the future. However, I would advise doing your NQT year first and then starting it. It is a lot of work to be doing alongside full-time teaching and I went from A-levels, undergrad, PGCE, MA and I wish I had taken a break from education between all of that!
    Wonderful thanks, what about requirements for the MEd? I've been offered a place at Cambridge which normally wants a 1st for the MEd, whereas PGCE wants a 2:2, are the requirements usually the same?

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful thanks, what about requirements for the MEd? I've been offered a place at Cambridge which normally wants a 1st for the MEd, whereas PGCE wants a 2:2, are the requirements usually the same?
    I'm not 100% certain. I know they looked at our assignment marks which we got on the PGCE (as they were at Masters level so counted towards the MA), and we had to write a short statement on why we wanted to do the MA. Other than that I'm not sure. I did mine at Leeds University and I did my PGCE there too.

ReputationRep:
    How much were people charged getting a health form signed by a doctor? Mine wants £55, which is a bit high to sign paper

ReputationRep:
    How much were people charged getting a health form signed by a doctor? Mine wants £55, which is a bit high to sign paper
    ?!?!?!

I've never been charged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 30 - people can be charged any amount though.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was a tenner. But my brother paid arpund £50 for his (different gp).

Have you made it clear to them that you just need the form signed, no examination to go with it? They might have misunderstood.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have two offers, from Cambridge and UCL to do pgce secondary music in september 2016. I can't decide which one to go to. Anybody have any advice for me? (I'm aware this is a different thread but if anyone attending those courses/ unis had any advice that would be great)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know, or can point me in the right direction to find out the minimum number of days we need to spend at our second placement?

My current placement school want to keep me on longer, and I want to stay, but I'm struggling to find any legal requirements that state how many days you need in a different school to help my cause (i.e. in order to pass are there a certain number of days I HAVE to spend in a second school).
    I can't ask my uni mentor as he wants me to go to a new school and I'm still waiting for his decision on whether I can stay or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dellio_xx)
    Does anyone know, or can point me in the right direction to find out the minimum number of days we need to spend at our second placement?

My current placement school want to keep me on longer, and I want to stay, but I'm struggling to find any legal requirements that state how many days you need in a different school to help my cause (i.e. in order to pass are there a certain number of days I HAVE to spend in a second school).
    I can't ask my uni mentor as he wants me to go to a new school and I'm still waiting for his decision on whether I can stay or not.
    I don't think there is a legal limit, s once the placements vary so much in length from uni to uni. My placements are 8 weeks, 1 week, 2 weeks, 2 weeks and 11 weeks (off the top of my head). As long as it adds up to 120 days, I don't think it'd matter. But of course, y our uni could still enforce their own rules regardless of the law.

Teach First get awarded a PGCE and they spend two years in the same school afaik so I doubt there is a legal limit.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the number of days you have to spend in school, it is my understanding that the DfE merely requires course providers to timetable at least 120 days in school rather than that trainees can only pass if they have spent 120 days in school. My course provider timetables exactly 120 days and each year there are obviously some people who miss a few days due to illness, interviews etc. This has not prevented them from passing the course, though. If your course provider says that you can only pass if you have spent 120 days in school then that is a requirement that they have set themselves.

Similarly, there is no requirement regarding how many days you need to spend in different schools. The DfE simply states that you need to have taught in two different schools by the end of the training programme. I believe that Teach First sends their trainees to another school for just one week to meet this requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's about timetabling. Sometimes unis will follow it up. I missed about 20 days because I was off for ages due to an operation. They only made me add on 5, which I thought was fair enough. The last week of the course which is normally spent in uni, I spent on placement instead. So I didn't actually finish any later.

To be honest, I don't think they'd have said anything. I think I kind of spoilt it because I emailed my tutor asking if I'd have to ask days on and only after chasing that up did he change the dates but he didn't seem fussed because I was on track to pass anyway.

If someone is on the border of a 2/3 they might be a bit harsher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found they picked the wrong age group? I've got a place at UCL for Primary but am thinking I should've applied for English..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChancedTravels)
    Has anyone found they picked the wrong age group? I've got a place at UCL for Primary but am thinking I should've applied for English..

Change it asap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.