Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robocop656)
    Hmm right.. got 269 UMS in AQA eng lang. I believe its 270 for an A*..worth a remark? ..also 3 raw marks is a tonne in maths but im 3 off an A* and I worked so hard and im sure I got closer to 175 than the 162 I was awarded..worth a shot in the dark at it? I want to go into medicine! Did anyone else find that Edexcel were awful markers this year? Drama was a horrid suprise for all of our year and so was stats coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. Edexcel ****ed me over with grade boundaries in French.
    In Drama Unit 1: 90/90 full marks
    Unit 2: 78/90 nearly an A*
    Unit 3: 80 - C GRADE!

Although I wasn't going for an A* I was dissappointed to see how low I got in unit 3.
    Just about stood on to the grade A despite the harsh marking of the performance.
    What kind of marks did people get on unit 3 drama in ur school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    My school doesn't offer triple science
    That's a shame double science is all the same to 6th forms and Uni's

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a crazy question but is it possible to do GCSE and A Level Chemistry at the same time? I didn't take it for GCSE but now with what I've decided I might want to do at uni (dentistry) I need it. If I take the GCSE in one year and the A Level in 2 years? Is it possible? I'll be doing the GCSE Chemistry at home (I've been homeschooled for the last 8 years). OR is it possible to just do the A Level Chemistry, do sixth forms allow that?
    I could really use some advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    am abroad so i couldn't get my results today- i put a lot of effort into it but I still think I didn't get....
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by carcrashh3art)
    This may seem like a crazy question but is it possible to do GCSE and A Level Chemistry at the same time? I didn't take it for GCSE but now with what I've decided I might want to do at uni (dentistry) I need it. If I take the GCSE in one year and the A Level in 2 years? Is it possible? I'll be doing the GCSE Chemistry at home (I've been homeschooled for the last 8 years). OR is it possible to just do the A Level Chemistry, do sixth forms allow that?
    I could really use some advice, thanks!
    That's something you'll need to discuss with your sixth form (or potential sixth forms) to see if they'd let you just do A Level Chem without having done GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shloke123)
    I got 10 A*'s and 3 A's. How good of a chance do I currently stand at doing medicine in Cambridge?
    If you continue to excel like this in A levels and participate in extracurricular activities i would say a very good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nkamy)
    Can I do medicine at cambridge with these grades in these subjects?

Bio A*
    Chem A
    Phys A
    Maths A*
    English lit A*
    English lang A
    Geography A
    French A
    Art A*
    Religious Studies A
    ICT A*
    Sports BTEC Distinction*

Thanks for any advice. It would be nice to have several peoples opinions
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Its a tough question to answer. Cambridge medics certainly have very high average GCSE rates - look at the graph here (the medicine specific one!) - average no' A* seems to be 9 or 10 and not many get offers with below 7. But the question is: to what extent is that causative?

If we now say you get 95% UMS in your AS levels, and we look backat the graph at the 5A* but over 95 UMS group... well there are only 4 people in that group and 3 get offers! The good success rate holds for those with 8 or fewer A* but 95+ UMS as well.

The key observation to make though, is that sucess falls rapidly as UMS falls - 90-95 its still reasonable but dramatically less. Less than 90, and i think its fair to say the only people that get in are those with special circumstances.

So, you can analyse that graph for yourself, but my analysis personally would be this: UMS is more important than GCSEs. Work really hard for those AS levels (as you would have had to do even with 10A*), and we'll see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BI0)
    Yeah, I did.
    what dyou get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    My school doesn't offer triple science
    What did you get? I couldn't find it!

ReputationRep:
    So what's everyone doing for A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwalters1996)
    maths, further, history, economics...hoping to go on to do economics at uni.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its a tough question to answer. Cambridge medics certainly have very high average GCSE rates - look at the graph here - average no' A* seems to be 9 or 10 and not many get offers with below 7. But the question is: to what extent is that causative?

If we now say you get 95% UMS in your AS levels, and we look backat the graph at the 5A* but over 95 UMS group... well there are only 4 people in that group and 3 get offers! The good success rate holds for those with 8 or fewer A* but 95+ UMS as well.

The key observation to make though, is that sucess falls rapidly as UMS falls - 90-95 its still reasonable but dramatically less. Less than 90 with below average GCSEs, and i think its fair to say the only people that get in are those with special circumstances.

So, you can analyse that graph for yourself, but my analysis personally would be this: UMS is more important than GCSEs. Work really hard for those AS levels (as you would have had to do even with 10A*), and we'll see what happens.
    If only you put the same effort into your studies and you'd be in a top decile.
    Thanks for that analysis!

So to say things a bit more simply for her: yes, she's in with a chance with those GCSE grades, but the most important thing is to make sure she does get high UMS for her AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benwalters1996)
    Spanish, French, English Language, History, Dance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys I need some help here!

I was two marks away from getting a C in edexcel GCSE drama.I was two marks away from getting a C overall (I need 180 to get a C). I got two Bs (65 marks each) for the controlled assment modules and one E (48 marks) for the peformance. I dont understsand because my teacher said I had a really good chance of getting a C and my group worked our arses off to try and get all Cs. My teacher even said we were the most hard working group in the class!
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to get a C or should I accept my fate. (I also heard that you cant retake or remark drama ) Btw I dont want to do Drama after GCSE.

Also I was 5 marks of an A in my EDEXCEL ICT exam to get an A and I was 3 marks off getting a B in additional applied science exam. Should I retake or remark these?

Respond... please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    That's something you'll need to discuss with your sixth form (or potential sixth forms) to see if they'd let you just do A Level Chem without having done GCSE.
    Okay, thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    What is a BTEC Certificate equivalent to at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    what did you guys get in biology b7 and chemistry b7 ????

ReputationRep:
    i have been given a Q for some strange reason
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    If only you put the same effort into your studies and you'd be in a top decile.
    Thanks for that analysis!

So to say things a bit more simply for her: yes, she's in with a chance with those GCSE grades, but the most important thing is to make sure she does get high UMS for her AS levels?
    She asked for 'multiple opinions' so i phrased it in a way involving the asker in the thought process, but yes that would be a fair summary.

Ha yes, should be making endo notes right now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)
    what did you guys get in biology b7 and chemistry b7 ????
    I got Bs in those

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.