Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Change it asap.
    I can't change it now, I would have to reapply next year. All my experience is in primary but I love my subject. I tutor up to 14 and teach secondary transition classes to yr 6-9s. But I might just be getting cold feet, I'm sure there are lots of opportunities for literature enrichment and more challenging texts in year 6...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChancedTravels)
    I can't change it now, I would have to reapply next year. All my experience is in primary but I love my subject. I tutor up to 14 and teach secondary transition classes to yr 6-9s. But I might just be getting cold feet, I'm sure there are lots of opportunities for literature enrichment and more challenging texts in year 6...
    Speaking as a (former) secondary English teacher, I'd say the jobs are so different that you might find primary very frustrating if you want to do something with the subject you love. My own personal experience (and it can only ever be a personal choice) is that if it's English you want to teach rather than children, if you get my drift, then the older the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Speaking as a (former) secondary English teacher, I'd say the jobs are so different that you might find primary very frustrating if you want to do something with the subject you love. My own personal experience (and it can only ever be a personal choice) is that if it's English you want to teach rather than children, if you get my drift, then the older the better.
    This is what I'm beginning to be concerned about... I have also applied for an MA in Literature, so if I get accepted, I might take that year to get some experience in secondary also and make a fully informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm beginning to be concerned about... I have also applied for an MA in Literature, so if I get accepted, I might take that year to get some experience in secondary also and make a fully informed decision.
    I'd be inclined to go with that, myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'd be inclined to go with that, myself.
    Thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice
    You're welcome. Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done a scholarship interview before?

ReputationRep:
    But I might just be getting cold feet, I'm sure there are lots of opportunities for literature enrichment and more challenging texts in year 6
    I certainly wouldn't bank on that. It might depend on the school, but my friends in Year 6 have very much been focused on types of writing and SPaG rather than any specific texts. At Primary level, depending on the abilities of your class, you might be lucky if they can write a coherent paragraph nevermind analyse a text to the depth that would satisfy someone really into literature.

And of course, on your PGCE you might never even see a Year 6 classroom, so if you're thinking you only want to work at upper ks2 then I'd be questioning if Primary is for you. In mine you do 7 weeks in one key stage and 11 weeks in the other, but KS2 could be anything from 3-6. And even if you were placed in y6 for one placement, you'd spend a lot more time elsewhere. And bear in mind that even if you get a Year 6 job, most primaries these days want flexible teachers who are happy to be moved year groups every couple of years or so.

I'm not even sure they properly study any specific texts in year 6? I know in Year 4 we didn't (we had a class text but it was very short and you don't study it in anywhere as much depth as secondary) - although my school was an academy and just did whatever it felt like sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    I certainly wouldn't bank on that. It might depend on the school, but my friends in Year 6 have very much been focused on types of writing and SPaG rather than any specific texts. At Primary level, depending on the abilities of your class, you might be lucky if they can write a coherent paragraph nevermind analyse a text to the depth that would satisfy someone really into literature.

And of course, on your PGCE you might never even see a Year 6 classroom, so if you're thinking you only want to work at upper ks2 then I'd be questioning if Primary is for you. In mine you do 7 weeks in one key stage and 11 weeks in the other, but KS2 could be anything from 3-6. And even if you were placed in y6 for one placement, you'd spend a lot more time elsewhere. And bear in mind that even if you get a Year 6 job, most primaries these days want flexible teachers who are happy to be moved year groups every couple of years or so.

I'm not even sure they properly study any specific texts in year 6? I know in Year 4 we didn't (we had a class text but it was very short and you don't study it in anywhere as much depth as secondary) - although my school was an academy and just did whatever it felt like sometimes.
    Thank you! This is what I thought. I've booked in some school experience in secondary and have applied for an MA in modern literature, so might be looking to reapply for secondary next year. Only thing that puts me off secondary is behaviour, but I sense that this is no where near the issue I believe it to be in the majority of schools!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! This is what I thought. I've booked in some school experience in secondary and have applied for an MA in modern literature, so might be looking to reapply for secondary next year. Only thing that puts me off secondary is behaviour, but I sense that this is no where near the issue I believe it to be in the majority of schools!
    If you love your subject that much, possibly even get some A-Level experience too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I have ONE WEEK left in my first placement! It has absolutely whizzed by and although I am exhausted, I will be sad to leave. I am quite proud of myself for actually juggling the course along with my busy home life; I was scared that I would crash and burn.

I have bought a small box of chocs for my mentor (and might pick up a bottle of wine too) as she has been really lovely.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who go the bursasy and signed saying they would seek employment. Does part time count as employment . I dont want to have to pay it back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    For anyone who go the bursasy and signed saying they would seek employment. Does part time count as employment . I dont want to have to pay it back
    If it didn't specify I can't imagine that it wouldn't count. The aim of asking you to sign is to get only people who actually want to be teachers (a bit defunct if you ask me as someone who doesn't will already have to have lied at application and interview). It's not to penalise those whose plans might change and especially not to penalise part time workers!

As an anecdote, a friend of mine had to sign for his and never applied for any teaching jobs. I'm not advocating that of course, but it happened. People change their mind. And I'm not sure quite how allowed it is for unis to get you to sign, since the bursary is from the government and their only requirement is doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    If it didn't specify I can't imagine that it wouldn't count. The aim of asking you to sign is to get only people who actually want to be teachers (a bit defunct if you ask me as someone who doesn't will already have to have lied at application and interview). It's not to penalise those whose plans might change and especially not to penalise part time workers!

As an anecdote, a friend of mine had to sign for his and never applied for any teaching jobs. I'm not advocating that of course, but it happened. People change their mind. And I'm not sure quite how allowed it is for unis to get you to sign, since the bursary is from the government and their only requirement is doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The whole bursary signing/declaration is a bit of a mess imo. This is the only thing worrying me. Enjoying the PGCE but im considering my options atm. I did want to go straight into teaching when i signed up but am now considering further study first, and returning in a few years or doing some part time.

I have no idea what will/won't count as "teaching" - and what if i want to do a MA/Msc/PhD full time straight after PGCE? Thanks for your response.

ReputationRep:
    Working on my personal statement for job applications at the moment and it's so hard! I'm not used to boasting about myself, but at the same time I have to big myself up.

I just read back my personal statement for the PGCE course and it's shockingly bad and cringe worthy haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Working on my personal statement for job applications at the moment and it's so hard! I'm not used to boasting about myself, but at the same time I have to big myself up.

I just read back my personal statement for the PGCE course and it's shockingly bad and cringe worthy haha.
    Yeah and you'll be constantly altering it as the year goes on. Adding new things you've done and generally just making it better. My first one was awful! It's also annoying because a lot of job applications are so specific that you end up having to rewrite from scratch a pot anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by S27)
    The whole bursary signing/declaration is a bit of a mess imo. This is the only thing worrying me. Enjoying the PGCE but im considering my options atm. I did want to go straight into teaching when i signed up but am now considering further study first, and returning in a few years or doing some part time.

I have no idea what will/won't count as "teaching" - and what if i want to do a MA/Msc/PhD full time straight after PGCE? Thanks for your response.
    anything teaching in your age range counts. It's best to at least get your NQT year immediately after teaching. A lot of schools will worry if you don't complete your NQT immediately (or at least within a year or two) of finishing and you may find it harder to get a teaching job in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    I'm doing Secondary English so having all the fun associated with that
    just a quick question, i have just been accepted onto my PGCE course and starting sometime this month, i am doing English in a Secondary school but SEN, can you please tell me how you did your planning as i want to start early to read and try to do my own planning before i start. also can you please tell me what the coursework is like. you can pm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    anything teaching in your age range counts. It's best to at least get your NQT year immediately after teaching. A lot of schools will worry if you don't complete your NQT immediately (or at least within a year or two) of finishing and you may find it harder to get a teaching job in the future.
    Thanks Paradox. It still dosn't put my mind at rest knowing i may do full time study next year Don't want to have to pay it back when i will teach in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    Thanks Paradox. It still dosn't put my mind at rest knowing i may do full time study next year Don't want to have to pay it back when i will teach in the future.
    What did the thing you signed actually state?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.