The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7640
My life:

Original post by SMed
My life:

Tell me about it. I have more work than I've ever had in my life, but instead of actually doing it, I'm just pissing around procrastinating.
Reply 7642
Original post by Kinkerz
Tell me about it. I have more work than I've ever had in my life, but instead of actually doing it, I'm just pissing around procrastinating.

At least there are still Double Stuff Oreos. I just ate 60% of the pack in like 5 minutes. Alone.

I was just about to start revising, but now I'm too depressed. :ashamed2:
Reply 7643
Original post by RollerBall
So a guy I knew died of a PE a few weeks back but I only just found out about it. I didn't know him very well but he died at the tender age of 27 and was a very intelligent well spoken guy so it was a real shame.

After the initial "that sucks" phase yesterday I'm not filled with the morbid curiosity of the medical student on how exactly you can die of a pulmonary embolism. He used to be quite a large guy and then lost quite a bit of weight. He never really did any exercise and was ill for about a week before so I understand he had quite a few risk factors for a clot to occur somewhere.

However, the clot moves to the lungs and increases the pressure in the pulmonary arteries (presumably it gets stuck before it reaches the veins by getting jammed in the small arteries) and would diminish lung function but I don't see how that would kill you? People can live with one lung so I can't see how having a small section being messed up causing you to become hypoxic enough to kill you.

So, does the build up of pressure cause the right ventricle to swell and fail? Would this then possibly tear/burst? Could the same happen to the great veins? The online articles on emedicine/wiki are pretty sketchy and vague so any help would be appreciated.

As far as I remember, most of PE-related deaths occur within the first hour after the initial event, so most likely due to cardiogenic shock and/or severe acute hypoxaemia...

Original post by Fission_Mailed
I've decided to swallow my pride and ask my housemate's girlfriend to set me up with someone when I go back to uni.

Just make sure they're not hairy and named Bob. ;D
Anyone care to share some scare tactics in order to kick me into gear? I've lost the ability to revise hardcore. January looks grim.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
We are??
Is this one of Haniah's plans? :colone:
Fill me in..

You didn't miss too much but would have been better for you if you'd gotten in :tongue:

True true.. would just be nice to mix with some new people :ninja:

Original post by a moist feeling
Yeh according to her we are, but I don't know where :erm: or even if I'll be able to go :smile:

Yeh I would have much rather have got in to be honest, stupid bouncers :tongue:

Haha new people? What is this madness :tongue:

When is re-freshers? I don't start back til like a week after you guys, hope I'm not gonna miss out...
Original post by Becca-Sarah
When is re-freshers? I don't start back til like a week after you guys, hope I'm not gonna miss out...

Well I haven't heard of any plans so far but I would imagine it's first week back.. so week starting the 2nd of january :redface:

Doubt you'll be missing much :tongue:
Original post by Schoolio93
Yup... I know it's really mad.
first term we've finished covering metabolism, enzymes and protein signalling.
Second term is genetics.

By the way our terms are only 8 weeks long.....

Still 8 weeks of Metabolism and signalling pathways is intense.

Surely they break it up with a miniscule of clinical stuff so you dont loose sight in what you are doing?
The only thing I've learnt today is how much the olive in the medulla does not look like an olive.
Reply 7649
Merry Christmas everyone!

...now off to do the Christmas shopping. :biggrin:
Well Glasgow has been cool again :biggrin: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Back to London today
Original post by carcinoma

Original post by carcinoma
Still 8 weeks of Metabolism and signalling pathways is intense.

Surely they break it up with a miniscule of clinical stuff so you dont loose sight in what you are doing?

apart from three two hour applied anatomy sessions, we've done no clinical stuff the whole term... It's a really theory science based course....
Reply 7652
apart from three two hour applied anatomy sessions, we've done no clinical stuff the whole term... It's a really theory science based course....

Don't lie, we had like 2 hours of obesity PBLs and 2 hours of diabetes lectures :tongue:

lol, i feel it for you guys. I thought we had it bad...
How much content have you covered lectures wise first term, out of interest?

Do you not loose sight of the grand scheme of what you are aiming towards/the outcome? But I suppose that will come in when your clinicals begin.

Coming from a course at pretty much the opposite spectrum to yours, I feel that i would have far more difficulty retaining all the science without the clinical hook/foundation to attach knowledge to.

Original post by SabreT
Don't lie, we had like 2 hours of obesity PBLs and 2 hours of diabetes lectures :tongue:

haha

You have PBLs?

should have gone to ox, loads of clinical focus :tongue:
Have a brilliant Christmas day all !
Merry Christmas, TSR medics.
Yep, Merry Christmas guys.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas :biggrin:

May it be medicine/incident free :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending