Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You lost to Sevilla.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I feel bad for Moreno - yes he has defensive issues but we've known that.
    Same.

It's easy to throw a player under the bus at times like this - and Moreno wouldn't be in my first XI next season if I could help it - but we are, fundamentally, all in this together.

We win together, we lose together. We must never stand still and always look forward. We need to improve, remain optimistic, hopeful. Otherwise what's the point in even following the sport?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised that Sturridge isn't 100% there in terms of his sprinting. It's going to take time considering how long injuries have kept him out. Frankly it might never come back - look at Torres who has had to rethink his game to a degree and worked for some time to get some pace back.

I feel bad for Moreno - yes he has defensive issues but we've known that. Rodgers is more culpable for coming into a new season with Moreno, an untested Gomez and Enrique who was never going to play. Unlucky that Gomez suffered such an injury and Flanagan didn't make it back as originally expected.

However if Moreno isn't on the pitch, we don't score that first goal. The run by Moreno moves the CB across to give Sturridge the gap to score. His attacking contributions (even if not directly regular enough) should not be ignored considering he helps us stretch the pitch. He helps create space for players like Coutinho. You put a defensive player behind Coutinho and Coutinho will look much worse and be less involved - Moreno always gives him an option. Let's not forget that Moreno turns 24 this summer - he's still got a couple of years imo to improve his defensive game. Very few fullbacks can do both attack and defend exceptionally well. There will be 15-25 games next season when we need an attacking fullback rather than a defensive one because teams are sitting deep against us. I'd be looking to rotate between 2 fullbacks - Moreno and someone defensive based on who we are playing.
    We can't wait for a 24 year old fullback to sort out his defensive issues, we are better off playing him as a winger if he can't defend. He should already know how to defend by now, no excuses for that poor headed clearance and getting nutmegged yesterday. I can forgive him being caught high up the pitch because that is what's going to happen when a fullback goes forward but he is capable of other defensive cockups which happens regardless of whether he is high up or defending deep.

I agree with we need to sign another fullback but not sure if we need a defensive one, we could get an attacking one without the defensive errors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Same.

It's easy to throw a player under the bus at times like this - and Moreno wouldn't be in my first XI next season if I could help it - but we are, fundamentally, all in this together.

We win together, we lose together. We must never stand still and always look forward. We need to improve, remain optimistic, hopeful. Otherwise what's the point in even following the sport?
    I'm still a fan of Moreno - he might lose you the odd game but he'll also win you some games. I can't see us getting rid this summer when we're already a LB short but no doubt Klopp and the team will work extensively with him.

(Original post by samir12)
    We can't wait for a 24 year old fullback to sort out his defensive issues, we are better off playing him as a winger if he can't defend. He should already know how to defend by now, no excuses for that poor headed clearance and getting nutmegged yesterday. I can forgive him being caught high up the pitch because that is what's going to happen when a fullback goes forward but he is capable of other defensive cockups which happens regardless of whether he is high up or defending deep.
    There were plenty of players who had poor headed clearances yesterday other than Moreno too. I guess that is my point - I don't think you can have just 11-14 players who win you a title on a regular basis (unless you are lucky like Leicester). When you open up to the numbers to 20+ players, are we really saying we'd rather have a defensive fullback instead of Moreno against a side like Bournemouth or Boro at Anfield?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    x
    I have got to know that Liverpool lost the final against Sevilla yesterday. What a pitty. I have really crossed my Fingers for that team, firstly I like Klopp as a coach and secondly the third victory by Sevilla in a row gets boring.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still a fan of Moreno - he might lose you the odd game but he'll also win you some games. I can't see us getting rid this summer when we're already a LB short but no doubt Klopp and the team will work extensively with him.

There were plenty of players who had poor headed clearances yesterday other than Moreno too. I guess that is my point - I don't think you can have just 11-14 players who win you a title on a regular basis (unless you are lucky like Leicester). When you open up to the numbers to 20+ players, are we really saying we'd rather have a defensive fullback instead of Moreno against a side like Bournemouth or Boro at Anfield?
    There is a reason why he is singled out a lot, other players don't make those errors as often as he does especially in the big games. We can sign a like for like fullback without those errors to compete with him. Maybe Gomez can be that defensive fullback for the big games? He made errors against United and West Ham but he has shown promise at such a young age and needs time to mature.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So, I guess that's it for the season then. I'm completely uninterested in England, to be honest. I'm very much club over country. I'll watch Euro 2016 - every match, probably - but I won't be really invested in football again now until August.

Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    So, I guess that's it for the season then. I'm completely uninterested in England, to be honest. I'm very much club over country. I'll watch Euro 2016 - every match, probably - but I won't be really invested in football again now until August.

Ah well.
    I'm a big England fan though so I'm preparing myself for more dissappointment, sucks to be an England and LFC fan I guess lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm a big England fan though so I'm preparing myself for more dissappointment, sucks to be an England and LFC fan I guess lol.
    I was when I was younger, but I've grown really tired by England the constant merry-go-round every time we arrive at a major tournament. It's always a good laugh to meet up with mates and drink watching the matches, but a lot of my pals are married these days so I can't see that happening this summer!

ReputationRep:
    Time for me to move onto tennis this summer.

Roger Federer needs to win his 18th grand slam (screw you Djokovic!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Federerr)
    Time for me to move onto tennis this summer.

Roger Federer needs to win his 18th grand slam (screw you Djokovic!)
    Cricket for me!

ReputationRep:
    Cricket for me!
    I love playing cricket. (simply just batting and fielding)

However I've tried all my life to understand the sport but I always fail lol.

I need to do some research on how it works lol.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason why he is singled out a lot, other players don't make those errors as often as he does especially in the big games. We can sign a like for like fullback without those errors to compete with him. Maybe Gomez can be that defensive fullback for the big games? He made errors against United and West Ham but he has shown promise at such a young age and needs time to mature.
    I guess my point is more than every fullback can't be a peak Ashley Cole. If we had a defensive fullback at LB too, we'd be screaming about how our fullbacks offer nothing going forward for half of our games every season.

I think I'd rather buy a left footed player for LB and then look to Gomez as our backup RB?

Ah well.
    Yea it's a long 3 months of painful paper talk about who we're being linked to

ReputationRep:
    The state of this thread lol

ReputationRep:
    Mad how quite Luke has been about yesterday's fiasco.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=7348

Guess 3rd is looking rather good at this time, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    The state of this thread lol
    Still no where near as bad as the cesspit that is the United thread lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliRizzo)
    Mad how quite Luke has been about yesterday's fiasco.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=7348

Guess 3rd is looking rather good at this time, no?
    Mad how quite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Mad how quite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    lucio.is.btchboy is blates stalking this thread, crying into his YNWA duvet covers waiting for Saturday when he hopes he can suddenly re-emerge from all 'the late shifts' he's been doing at work to try and rek the United fans.

Good to see Mackay hasn't let the result deviate him from keeping up with his daily post quota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    lucio.is.btchboy is blates stalking this thread, crying into his YNWA duvet covers waiting for Saturday when he hopes he can suddenly re-emerge from all 'the late shifts' he's been doing at work to try and rek the United fans.

Good to see Mackay hasn't let the result deviate him from keeping up with his daily post quota.
    Can confirm its his annual meltdown after you lot in 13/14 and Mata at Anfield last year.

Also I sent you a PM that you never responded to x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.