Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    What did the thing you signed actually state?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Something like "I will seek a position in the UK". Pretty much what is in the bursary guide.

Page 23 of this
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Guide_AY15.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here got the IoP scholarship? I got awarded one, just wanted to know about the training sessions and how they work around school timetables.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long UCL take to provide a post-interview decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    Something like "I will seek a position in the UK". Pretty much what is in the bursary guide.

Page 23 of this
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Guide_AY15.pdf
    Well that's new! I never had to sign anything.

It says upon completion, so I don't think anyone could argue if you said you weren't going to look yet during the course.

It's also worth applying for or looking around at some schools anyway as you never know what will come up. You might find your dream job that will change your plans!!!

I'm sure part time would be absolutely acceptable for this BTW. And there's nothing wrong with saying you haven't found a suitable position.

You could also consider signing up with an agency, there'd be no obligation to go for specific jobs but they'd be job hunting for you. And perhaps signing up to a supply list or agency if you go on to part time study or other work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Accidental repost, can't delete on the app!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Well that's new! I never had to sign anything.

It says upon completion, so I don't think anyone could argue if you said you weren't going to look yet during the course.

It's also worth applying for or looking around at some schools anyway as you never know what will come up. You might find your dream job that will change your plans!!!

I'm sure part time would be absolutely acceptable for this BTW. And there's nothing wrong with saying you haven't found a suitable position.

You could also consider signing up with an agency, there'd be no obligation to go for specific jobs but they'd be job hunting for you. And perhaps signing up to a supply list or agency if you go on to part time study or other work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When i say sign it was literally a box i had to tick on the website!

I just wish it was a lot clearer. Thanks for you help

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have a nightmare mentor??!?!!?!?!!?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel147)
    Anyone else have a nightmare mentor??!?!!?!?!!?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had one who pretty much ignored me during the day except for grumpily meeting occasionally to make sure I wasn't messing up his students grades. I could have been teaching them circus skills for all he knew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I had one who pretty much ignored me during the day except for grumpily meeting occasionally to make sure I wasn't messing up his students grades. I could have been teaching them circus skills for all he knew.
    And weren't you? Gosh, talk about an opportunity missed!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    And weren't you? Gosh, talk about an opportunity missed!
    I make up for it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I make up for it now
    I bet they are all well on the way to passing their Unicycling Proficiency Test.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies. Good to know I'm not alone!

My mentor is a nightmare, about to retire and completely clueless to the school direct route. Accuses me of not doing stuff (things that I'd done weeks ago) just because she hadn't seen proof. Never asked and almost complained about me!!! She'd have known that I had done the right paperwork etc if she was ever in my lessons... She just keeps disappearing lol! Roll on July :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel147)
    Thank you for your replies. Good to know I'm not alone!

My mentor is a nightmare, about to retire and completely clueless to the school direct route. Accuses me of not doing stuff (things that I'd done weeks ago) just because she hadn't seen proof. Never asked and almost complained about me!!! She'd have known that I had done the right paperwork etc if she was ever in my lessons... She just keeps disappearing lol! Roll on July :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear about that. I think a good mentor is pretty much the most important thing so I really feel for you. Remember your uni should, in theory, always support you if it turns out your mentor is truly incompetent. See how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a good mentor but she left. Now the second one is utter rubbish, but with only 3 weeks of her career left you can understand why she doesn't give a stuff anymore! My uni have been supportive but they understand that she is leaving soon too and at this point as I'll be getting a new mentor soon anyway, it's not worth the hassle of making a 60 year old change her ways.. Pray for me😣
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trisha33)
    just a quick question, i have just been accepted onto my PGCE course and starting sometime this month, i am doing English in a Secondary school but SEN, can you please tell me how you did your planning as i want to start early to read and try to do my own planning before i start. also can you please tell me what the coursework is like. you can pm me.
    It won't really work like that- schools do different things.

ReputationRep:
    Carnationlilyrose Mr M When you apply for teaching jobs does having an IoP Teaching Scholarship add any value to an NQT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Carnationlilyrose Mr M When you apply for teaching jobs does having an IoP Teaching Scholarship add any value to an NQT?
    I'm afraid I have no idea. Recruitment wasn't my job. I doubt it will hurt, but as we have said before, you pretty much only have to have a pulse to teach maths and physics, so I wouldn't let it keep you awake at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I'm afraid I have no idea. Recruitment wasn't my job. I doubt it will hurt, but as we have said before, you pretty much only have to have a pulse to teach maths and physics, so I wouldn't let it keep you awake at night.
    Oh I see, I just like the idea of having a large choice of schools to work in/would let me doing a part time MEd /maybe PhD in future

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see, I just like the idea of having a large choice of schools to work in/would let me doing a part time MEd /maybe PhD in future
    Well, I've known lots of people who have done a part time MEd, so I doubt you would have any trouble finding somewhere to let you do that as it is pretty common. I don't know anyone who did a PhD after starting work as a teacher. It's not my area but I would imagine doing six years part time studying would be massively unappealing after a hard day at the chalkface.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I know of one teacher give reduced paid hours to do her PhD as the research directly contributed to the school. It's one of those things where you just need to get a job, get settled, prove you're brilliant and then approach from there. You may not get it paid for reduced hours but they may timetable you in a way that'll free an afternoon up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.