Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Daily Star have revealed that a firm offer was made and Suarez turned down the move. Obviously it isn't that water tight but there may be other sources.
    DailyStar ?

About as reliable as using Wikipedia for essays.

(Original post by llys)
    Rodgers is such a bad man manager. Classless. Can you imagine Wenger doing his man management through the press?
    :laugh:

What a bad man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Do we have any evidence that this actually happened other than the word of the ever so reliable Luis Suarez? I'm not sure if Juventus would have even been able to afford him.
    Cavani's statement yesterday pretty much confirmed it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Sky Sports News are saying he believes he doesn't need to apologise because of his conduct. Personally, I don't think anything more needs to be said in the media by Suarez/Liverpool/Arsenal, it's clear what the position of each party is. Arsenal and Suarez have made up their minds, it's up to Liverpool to choose to keep an unhappy player who's disrespected their club for as long as they can.

If you need an example of how that works out, look at Llorente this season. Forced to stay a season longer than he wanted to and a massive gulf in the quality of his performances this time round compared to previous years. It doesn't work out well. Liverpool have a few good young players like Coutinho and Sturridge, they should just take the money for Suarez if like Rodgers said they want to get to top 4. They're more likely to get top 4 in the next few years by building a team of several good players rather than relying on someone who doesn't even want to play for them.

Seeing how Liverpool have acted this summer, at first I thought that's how we should have acted with RVP, but if we had kept RVP longer the dressing room and training sessions would have just become toxic. How can you motivate yourself for a match knowing your captain doesn't even want to be at the club? What Liverpool are doing now will not end well. It's unfortunate for them that the only club bidding for him is Arsenal, given that their aim is to get a CL spot, but it's really never worth hanging on to an unhappy player. I can't imagine if Arsenal had refused to sell RVP and he would have left on a free this summer instead. We (probably) wouldn't have got any trophies and we would be £25m worse off. Selling him was horrible for all Arsenal fans to go through, but a necessity, and it's something Liverpool have to do to.
    I agree with this totally. Players are still people, and it's important to the squad as a whole that they are shown that they are valued. RvP wanted to go. We didn't want him to go. Once it became clear he wanted to leave we got as much cash as possible for him, but did let him go. Same with Cesc, same with the rest.

I think generally speaking this is a really good thing. Rogers is, for me, somewhat self contradictory in his rhetoric. "Nobody is bigger than the football club" and yet, Liverpool cannot survive if they sell him? Hmn. He wants to go. We'll give you a massive heap of cash for him. Let him go. If the promise situation is really true, he shouldn't be apologising.

With Suarez at the club, Liverpool are looking at a 6th place finish. Possibly. I can easily see them as low as 8th. Next season will be the same. The players they have are not good enough, the team is not strong enough, and a lot of their top talent is either too old or is too young and needs time. Liverpool are in a transitional period where they need to rebuild a team, which will take time. Investing £50m (which is what I think we'd bid now) in 3 or 4 very good youngsters could pay dividends in a few years for them. Instead they're electing to keep a player who is unhappy at the club against his will, which will negatively impact the dressing room as well as Suarez himself, and he knows it's not a question of waiting this season but instead waiting for a few. Suarez deserves CL football. Liverpool won't get it, this year nor the next. He has to move.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this flare up again once we beat Fenerb and are in to the group stages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    DailyStar ?

About as reliable as using Wikipedia for essays.

Ermmmmmm in terms of reliability, wikipedia is amongst the best there is out there.

Those citations :adore:

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, the Daily Star being used to verify something, only on The Arsenal Thread XV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Ermmmmmm in terms of reliability, wikipedia is amongst the best there is out there.

Those citations :adore:

How people can quote DailyStar as reliable? :rofl:

ReputationRep:

How people can quote DailyStar as reliable? :rofl:
    Didn't even know people looked at it let alone read :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    What a bad man!

? No, just a bad man manager and an idiot, who makes Liverpool even more of a laughing stock, if that was possible. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    The Juventus offer was like, £8mill was it not?
    That actually seems believable those bloody cheap Italians :rofl:

(Original post by 419)
    Didn't even know people looked at it let alone read :dontknow:
    Didn't know it existed till I just looked it up and saw its like TheSun and other crap tabloids like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Seriously we've done this to death :yawn:
    Listen, please, stop acting as some kind of mediator, peacemaker, TSR Pacifist Society rep, just let the games continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That's because bielsa was being a prick and played aduriz over him for half the season, when he realises that it's not working out and bilbao are potentially going to go down he reinstates llorente up top. Was pathetic the way he treated him, all he said was that he's running his contract down, not that he's forcing a move this season or he wants to leave now. Look at how dortmund are treating lewandowski giving him games and look at how athletic bilbao treated llorente and it's a totally different situation.

Bilbao are pathetic anyway, they lost martinez late in the window so asked the spanish FA for more time in the transfer window.
    You can't stay Llorentes last season was his best though, still.
    Personally i like Bilbao lol, it'd be interesting if every team could only buy players from their own region and had to rely on their own youth system more. in all fairness they got a massive fee for Martinez. Bielsa is a good manager he just sees to have struggled at Bilbao as he's wanted to get in to Europe but had to deal with players leaving every season.

Even if you were to use Lewandowski instead, in pre-season he's looked like he didn't want to be there and for unmotivated. Reminds me of RVP in his last pre-season friendly with us. It does seem more likely than a month ago that Suarez will stay given BR and Henry's comments but personally I find it difficult to see Suarez playing for them again given what he's said. After RVP's statement last year it wasn't a case of "if" he'l go, it was "when", and that's why I find it hard to understand why Pool want to hold onto him after he's shown such a despicable lack of respect for them. I'm not even saying that as an Arsenal fan who wants Suarez, I'm saying ti as someone who is utterly confused that any team could hold onto a player who'd said things to the media like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Cavani's statement yesterday pretty much confirmed it tbh.
    Precisely.

Why would Cavani put his reputation at stake to lie for a compatriot. It would surely be better to shut up if he wasn't 100% sure.

Suarez didn't say Juve, but that he 'turned down an opportunity to move to a big European club'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Listen, please, stop acting as some kind of mediator, peacemaker, TSR Pacifist Society rep, just let the games continue.
    Its annoying though having everything just become one big argument.

ReputationRep:
    Its annoying though having everything just become one big argument.
    No it's not, I want more people to tell me how Arsenal have activated the buy-out clause in Suarez's contract and how the Daily Star is a bastion of good journalism and how Arsenal are going to sign Bernard, Higuain, Suarez, Rooney, Fabregas and Gustavo all this summer and most of all, I want to hear all about how much of a top bloke Robin van Persie is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    You can't stay Llorentes last season was his best though, still.
    Personally i like Bilbao lol, it'd be interesting if every team could only buy players from their own region and had to rely on their own youth system more. in all fairness they got a massive fee for Martinez. Bielsa is a good manager he just sees to have struggled at Bilbao as he's wanted to get in to Europe but had to deal with players leaving every season.

Even if you were to use Lewandowski instead, in pre-season he's looked like he didn't want to be there and for unmotivated. Reminds me of RVP in his last pre-season friendly with us. It does seem more likely than a month ago that Suarez will stay given BR and Henry's comments but personally I find it difficult to see Suarez playing for them again given what he's said. After RVP's statement last year it wasn't a case of "if" he'l go, it was "when", and that's why I find it hard to understand why Pool want to hold onto him after he's shown such a despicable lack of respect for them. I'm not even saying that as an Arsenal fan who wants Suarez, I'm saying ti as someone who is utterly confused that any team could hold onto a player who'd said things to the media like that.
    Tbf sociedad are my spanish team so I'm slightly biased, but I genuinely thought bilbao were vastly overrated just because they beat united and it showed the next season, fine they lost martinez but bar that they had the same team as the previous season.

But anyway back to my point spanish teams do it a lot and tbh real sociedad do a similar thing, they're only allowed 3 non EU players and most of their team come from the youth squad like at bilbao. I've always wondered how a basque/madrid hybrid vs catalans would match up though, they could separate the 3 regions and still make top 15 national teams which is pretty amazing.

With lewandowski, I think he's settled now, he knows BVB's stance, I guess since he's a more model professional than suarez it wouldn't count, but I see him in top form again this season, him and aubameyang will make a great partnership, if not they'd be a good 60-30 partnership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    I agree with this totally. Players are still people, and it's important to the squad as a whole that they are shown that they are valued. RvP wanted to go. We didn't want him to go. Once it became clear he wanted to leave we got as much cash as possible for him, but did let him go. Same with Cesc, same with the rest.

I think generally speaking this is a really good thing. Rogers is, for me, somewhat self contradictory in his rhetoric. "Nobody is bigger than the football club" and yet, Liverpool cannot survive if they sell him? Hmn. He wants to go. We'll give you a massive heap of cash for him. Let him go. If the promise situation is really true, he shouldn't be apologising.

With Suarez at the club, Liverpool are looking at a 6th place finish. Possibly. I can easily see them as low as 8th. Next season will be the same. The players they have are not good enough, the team is not strong enough, and a lot of their top talent is either too old or is too young and needs time. Liverpool are in a transitional period where they need to rebuild a team, which will take time. Investing £50m (which is what I think we'd bid now) in 3 or 4 very good youngsters could pay dividends in a few years for them. Instead they're electing to keep a player who is unhappy at the club against his will, which will negatively impact the dressing room as well as Suarez himself, and he knows it's not a question of waiting this season but instead waiting for a few. Suarez deserves CL football. Liverpool won't get it, this year nor the next. He has to move.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this flare up again once we beat Fenerb and are in to the group stages.
    Rodgers is a bit foot in mouth when it comes to speaking to the media but in terms of transfers he hasn't done too badly. Trying to sell Downing, bought Aspas who seems to have a good rep in Spain, Coutinho is class and was a very cheap buy, Sturridge too. Hodgson and Dalglish made a mess of the club before he came so he had to deal with that too. If they get £50m for Suarez and Rodgers continues to find good buys then they can start to think about moving forward. They're many years away from CL football - not saying that as an insult, but it's something they have to accept - but by looking to spend the £50m Suarez money, they can start to think about Europa league in a couple of years and then build from there. They could probably buy someone like Damaio, and they're obviously a big name in football so despite being the 8th best club in England they'll be able to attract better players than say Swansea or West Brom. The fact that they want to keep hold of him after what he's said is very, very confusing. No Arsenal fans wanted to sell to United but it was better to do that than be £25m worse now and not had any trophies with him here anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Serenade away with me

Always, that post was like 2/3 pages ago. Did you go through my post history to bring it up?

You're a terrible troll that's why it's so easy to ignore you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    If we can't get Suarez I'm liking the look of benteke in pre season I know he's signed a deal but 20- 25 million? I'd have him

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'd rather have benteke than rooney tbh
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Nice to see Suarez refusing to apologies

I hope Wenger can free free him from slavery.
    (Original post by Zürich)
    It only hurts that Van Chavsie is ahead of Bergkamp.

He's nearly retired anyway and wont be winning much at Utd for the near future anyway so he can have Moyes and his 250k.
    (Original post by Zürich)
    BRB joins hated rival as AFC captain
    BRB ''Winning trophies elsewhere would mean nothing to me, I only want to win at AFC'' midway through yet another 6 month injury lay off
    BRB triples wages
    BRB plays 20 games a season for us for 8 years and moves after his first complete good season.
    BRB releases statement to weaken our negotiating position
    BRB Speaks some ****ed up Ali-G style 'street' Dutch for no apparent reason
    BRB Was a complete chav as a kid in Holland, smashing up cars etc.
    BRB Rapist.
    these are all crackers. keep up the debate lads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Serenade away with me

Always, that post was like 2/3 pages ago. Did you go through my post history to bring it up?

You're a terrible troll that's why it's so easy to ignore you.
    No, I just read the last few pages of my favourite thread. Is that a crime?

I'm not a troll! Horrible, unfounded accusation that. Arsenal fans are clever and reasonable beyond all others.

ReputationRep:
    That actually seems believable those bloody cheap Italians :rofl:

Didn't know it existed till I just looked it up and saw its like TheSun and other crap tabloids like that.
    I should point out that I thought you were actually talking about Arsenal and the RVP offer, not Suarez and his apparent one, the 8million was the counter offer against our 24.5mill.

:beard:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.