Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible that Chelsea was his only offer? Can't really blame him if it was.

Ed MalyonVerified account ‏@eaamalyon

Fabregas' people signed yesterday on penthouse in Battersea Reach after Man United signalled final intention not to sign player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    The tactics make no sense. The team sits deep vs dortmund, Napoli away, spurs, chelsea and city at home as they should but for some reason go all out attack and push incredibly high up vs city away, chelsea away, pool would be interesting to actually hear what wenger has to say about this because if it's intentional it's absolutely awful management
    I do think the lack of pace in the team this year due to injuries left us in a strange tactical world in which pushing up becomes almost sensible. See the Bayern, or LFC home games for instance in which it was genuinely effective at getting us on the front foot. But it also requires a huge amount of pressing and pro-activity and we got none of that from the midfield at Anfield/SB to the extent that youd almost call it a motivational rather than tactical issue.

Hopefully with Walcott back, and maybe a new LW(Vela?) we can stop the madness because we definitely never used to play that way until recently.

(Original post by jam278)
    You know what, I'm not a fan of central midfielders on the wing(unless they have the requisite work rate) but Wilshere on the wing interests me for some reason. I have a feeling that he would do well there if he had a lot of games, he'll cut in and get some pass and move football going.

I do think that Wilshere will improve next season and this is Wengers reasoning in not buying Fabregas, personally he should just get Vela, Aurier, a DM and a striker, I reckon Wilshere will play as a DM though.
    Wilshere can play anywhere in midfield in truth since he has good passing ability, pace and work rate. He could conceivably become an Iniesta wide player type, that kind of role looks increasing likely with Ramsey/Ozil locking down the Central attacking/B2B slots. Wilshere loves to drive from deep of course, but he's actually brilliant playing off instinct and moving into dangerous areas too. He has done well playing wide for us at times.

I think it would be a proper slap in the face to Ramsey/Wilshere, who were essentially what Wenger was left to work with in August 2011, if Cesc just strolled back into the side after getting fed up with his little Barca adventure. I think in terms of principle, Wenger would see that as a betrayal. End of the day, it is only because its Cesc that many were interested in signing a CAM at all. It was noone's priority 2 weeks ago and isnt now either.

It is worrying that this has all the hallmarks of a classic Wenger-sleeper window. That's really not acceptable anymore.

Serious credit to Chelsea though in the efficiency of your transfer dealings though, everything is set up to go and your just get it done. Not even getting done on the price any more, some seriously good business has been done over the past 12 months really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    In 11-12 and 12-13 he played deeper than Silva and Nasri, yes. He didn't score 20 goals in those seasons, he scored 6.
    But even then, Yaya wasn't playing a deep role then and was quite heavily involved in City's attack play in the final third in those seasons. That defensive deep duty was generally left to someone else- Barry and Garcia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Wilshere can play anywhere in midfield in truth since he has good passing ability, pace and work rate. He could conceivably become an Iniesta wide player type, that kind of role looks increasing likely with Ramsey/Ozil locking down the Central attacking/B2B slots. Wilshere loves to drive from deep of course, but he's actually brilliant playing off instinct and moving into dangerous areas too. He has done well playing wide for us at times.

I think it would be a proper slap in the face to Ramsey/Wilshere, who were essentially what Wenger was left to work with in August 2011, if Cesc just strolled back into the side after getting fed up with his little Barca adventure. I think in terms of principle, Wenger would see that as a betrayal. End of the day, it is only because its Cesc that many were interested in signing a CAM at all. It was noone's priority 2 weeks ago and isnt now either.

It is worrying that this has all the hallmarks of a classic Wenger-sleeper window. That's really not acceptable anymore.

Serious credit to Chelsea though in the efficiency of your transfer dealings though, everything is set up to go and your just get it done. Not even getting done on the price any more, some seriously good business has been done over the past 12 months really.
    Yeah agree with this. Don't think Cesc needed to come to you guys tbh.

We've been efficient but we need 3 more players imo. Need a fullback, another CM for backup(tiago mendes) and an AM, although we may play 4-3-3 to circumvent the need for an AM. Although Chelsea 4-3-3 means 4-5-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    But even then, Yaya wasn't playing a deep role then and was quite heavily involved in City's attack play in the final third in those seasons. That defensive deep duty was generally left to someone else- Barry and Garcia.
    Garcia wasn't there in 11-12, so Barry and Yaya were the deep mids.

For both seasons, he wasn't the deepest mid, but he was more a deep mid than an attacking one. If you want to be extra specific it would be a 4-1-1-2-2

ReputationRep:
    Yaya played as the BBM. He's not an attacking midfielder but played as a central midfielder, essentially Ramsey's current role.

However Yaya was playing in a more defensive style of football while under pellegrini it's a more all out attacking style.

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey ain't gonna be Arsenals next hero either. If we don't win the league and he continues his form then rightfully expect him to leave next summer.

We all know how strong loyalty is by now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Ramsey will give you at least two seasons, and if there is progress, I think he'd stay longer. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who buys into his own hype (probably thanks to his past injuries). I don't know if Wenger would sell him anyway though, if someone offered enough money. It's bizarre, nobody can figure Wenger out at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I think Ramsey will give you at least two seasons, and if there is progress, I think he'd stay longer. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who buys into his own hype (probably thanks to his past injuries). I don't know if Wenger would sell him anyway though, if someone offered enough money. It's bizarre, nobody can figure Wenger out at all.
    Don't think at this rate id personally want to ever sell Ramsey. He's going to be one of those world class players you can never make up for by selling

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who would blame Ramsey for leaving tho? He's got the potential to be one of the best players in the world. He doesn't deserve to be at a club with a huge lack of ambition. He deserves better and I wouldn't begrudge him for leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance Ramsey gets sold in two years time. He is, like most of our core, tied down long term and we don't need the money from selling him anymore. If he carries on like last season it would take a Bale-esque fee to let him go. The situation is very different from RVP, Cesc, Nasri etc.

I would wait until the window closes until questioning our ambition. People inside the club have confirmed we are looking to sign 3-5 players. Cesc was never on the radar, money is finite and better spent elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Not a chance Ramsey gets sold in two years time. He is, like most of our core, tied down long term and we don't need the money from selling him anymore. If he carries on like last season it would take a Bale-esque fee to let him go. The situation is very different from RVP, Cesc, Nasri etc.

I would wait until the window closes until questioning our ambition. People inside the club have confirmed we are looking to sign 3-5 players. Cesc was never on the radar, money is finite and better spent elsewhere.
    I agree tbh but when a player requests transfer there's not much you can do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I agree tbh but when a player requests transfer there's not much you can do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't have to give in. Liverpool didn't and got the best season out of Suarez yet. Ramsey doesn't strike me as somebody who will throw their toys out the pram.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the club will match his ambition. When Özil joined he said Wenger outlined his plans for the next few years and that was key for him joining. You have to have some kind of ambition to attract that calibre of player. We now have the money to back up that ambition, that is key.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    These Arsenal guys are loyal trust me. Would have preferred Ramsey of of you guys tbh.

While Fabregas is a grade A prick(like I said btw but people on here disagreed lul) I'd have rather taken Ramsey or even Wilshere.

Fabregas is ok I guess. Good passer e.t.c but he's nothing special, just better than Ramires and our pseudo CB Luiz.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen people saying "if we sign this" and "if we sign that" and "we just need 3 more signings" on here and blogs. As if it's likely we'll get that "top class striker" or "promising young centre back". It's been the same for years now. We've always needed "a few more players" to be "real title challengers". It's never happened, why is it expected to happen now?

ReputationRep:
    These Arsenal guys are loyal trust me. Would have preferred Ramsey of of you guys tbh.

While Fabregas is a grade A prick(like I said btw but people on here disagreed lul) I'd have rather taken Ramsey or even Wilshere.

Fabregas is ok I guess. Good passer e.t.c but he's nothing special, just better than Ramires and our pseudo CB Luiz.
    Explain by what you mean "Nothing Special" ? Are you speaking in terms of him as a player or what he brings to your team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Explain by what you mean "Nothing Special" ? Are you speaking in terms of him as a player or what he brings to your team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As in where we'll play him and as a player. Would rather have Koke or Pogba, need a guy with grit, energy while able to play his way. Fabregas doesn't have that.

He'll do well but that's more down to who we currently have there. Don't think he's good enough to build a team round either. He can be a semi cog possibly, but not the engine of the system. That is Hazard and Costa/Lukaku.

If your best player in a team and your main reliance is Fabregas then more likely than not your team is not a top team. He's important for the system and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    So I was in Thailand in the middle of the full moon party and I heard from some random that Cesc signed for Chelsea. I laughed it off. I woke up this morning to see this **** was in fact true. I'm not even mad. But I had to come back to this thread to check out the meltdown. Never once did I think he was loyal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As in where we'll play him and as a player. Would rather have Koke or Pogba, need a guy with grit, energy while able to play his way. Fabregas doesn't have that.

He'll do well but that's more down to who we currently have there. Don't think he's good enough to build a team round either. He can be a semi cog possibly, but not the engine of the system. That is Hazard and Costa/Lukaku.

If your best player in a team and your main reliance is Fabregas then more likely than not your team is not a top team. He's important for the system and that's it.
    I agree with what you're saying, but I disagree with the point your making (if that makes sense).

He doesn't have that grit that you say is needed in the Chelsea team, but he will work relatively hard so he won't be a passenger. Anyway, the point I disagree with is that you need that grit; Matic provides that raw physical presence, power and energy, with the ability to play the ball quite well. Fabregas isn't as physical as Pogba for example, but I don't know if there are many better ball players around; he exactly fills the gap of someone who can distribute the ball and instigate attacks from deep. Of course if he was a tank too then that would be great, but then you're asking for the perfect player.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.