Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Osborne should not be in government, he ruined his own political career by orchestrating silly claims in the EU campaign, having Boris give Osborne a position is through sympathy, or fear Osborne has power to ruin Boris. Brexit gives an opportunity for newer faces to take cabinet positions, Andrea Leadosom, Dominic Raab, Anne Morris, and Andrea Jenkyns all have potential.
    The only faults I have with Jenkyns is the vegetarianism and anti hunting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think in a may cabinet
    Chancellor - Hammond
    Foreign - Gove
    Home - Osborne
    Boris
    Chancellor - Gove
    Foreign - Leadsom
    Home - Osborne
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ITV are reporting Angela Eagle will formally challenge Corbyn for the leadership tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Stephen Crabb confirms he is standing , although he won't win
    Before Thursday i'd have probably kept with May or Boris in light of the current runners (i consider Boris a disloyal opportunistic but he's more ideologically preferable than May) however on Thursday we saw the Labour heartlands tell them to go screw themselves which incredibly gives the Tories perhaps their best chance of the century to date to rebrand and go straight for the Labour heartlands to get the kind of 100+ majorities of old.

Crabb in this context is very interesting to me because if we're to take advantage of this opportunity then what we really need is somebody who's not Etonian, not a London MP and somebody who cares for the working poor more than lowering the 45% rate. Crabb could be sold in a similar manner to Major much more easily.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Crabb PM and Javid Chancellor. The so-called blue-collar blues.
    Personally i'd place them third straight off the bat although it depends who May has as her running mate.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Crabb wouldn't get it. I think the best part of the proposed Boris ticket is Gove as Chancellor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I certainly agree with the Gove comment and he makes a Boris leadership much more palatable. While still favourate i'm wary of the old Tory adage.. 'the favourate never wins'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The attacks in Turkey provide a (not so) nice change in the focus of the news for the first time since Wednesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has/does anyone study economics here at uni? Currently planning (not writing) my PS however it is very difficult to plan without having done an A-level in it. I think what I've got is good, but it'd be useful to have someone who has actually studied it at a high level to look through my plan.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Crabb definitely the scariest Tory leadership candidate for Labour. Others are either divisive buffoons (Boris) or widely believed to be utter ***** (May)
    I suspect that Labour severely underestimate both.

While Crabb certainly has the backstory and comes across well it's Boris who is the most moderate in policy and May is (regardless of whether you agree with her) perceived as being strong, competent and experienced. I suspect May would be weaker in debates though even if very proficient in office.

If either of those three went against Corbyn, i'd be very confident of an increased Tory majority.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I suspect that Labour severely underestimate both.

While Crabb certainly has the backstory and comes across well it's Boris who is the most moderate in policy and May is (regardless of whether you agree with her) perceived as being strong, competent and experienced. I suspect May would be weaker in debates though even if very proficient in office.

If either of those three went against Corbyn, i'd be very confident of an increased Tory majority.
    If Labour think Crabb is scary just because of the background maybe they need to look back at Major

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1467152274886.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I hope if he was elected leader his dubious views on homosexuals might become bigger news and hopefully put off more liberal tories

Also I saw someone mention Hunt, why not have a Hunt v Hunt election, Jeremy Hunt, leader of the tories vs Trisham Hunt, Labour leader
    Unless he actually wanted to reverse any laws surrounding that then i don't think it would matter too much even to fairly liberal Tories and most of the older generation of either party. Where it would have more impact is when targeting new/younger voters albeit it would depend whether that policy is down to him being a christian like Farron or whether he's an all round social conservative. At this stage i can't say i know much about him in terms of policy. If it's just religion and he's otherwise moderate then that can be sold, if he's a social conservative then May is just as good.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Personally i'd place them third straight off the bat although it depends who May has as her running mate.
    The winds certainly seem to be turning in Boris's favour somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Now imagine the mess if Turkey were in the EU and the UK along with it… :eek:

I feel sorry for the people who were just minding their own business, perhaps about to go on a holiday, and then ****ing Islamic terrorists ruined everything. Those terrorists are precisely why we need to reintroduce capital punishment and I would execute them myself if I had to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Has/does anyone study economics here at uni? Currently planning (not writing) my PS however it is very difficult to plan without having done an A-level in it. I think what I've got is good, but it'd be useful to have someone who has actually studied it at a high level to look through my plan.

Cheers!
    Feel free to PM me a copy, but bear in mind that personal statements are meant to be personal.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Apparently Galloway may be getting Labour membership.

I'm not far off feeling pity for some of the Labourites on here. How awful must it be to know that your party is tearing itself apart.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wow. Apparently Galloway may be getting Labour membership.

I'm not far off feeling pity for some of the Labourites on here. How awful must it be to know that your party is tearing itself apart.
    Depends which labourites you're talking about, because I can figuratively see loads of them jacking off to what Corbyn is doing and the idea of Galloway coming back, although that will certainly be 2020 dead and buried, the question will be how many Labour seats UKIP could take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends which labourites you're talking about, because I can figuratively see loads of them jacking off to what Corbyn is doing and the idea of Galloway coming back, although that will certainly be 2020 dead and buried, the question will be how many Labour seats UKIP could take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the context of this battle i suspect it will be the Tories who benefit most from labour voters just staying home rather than voting for a shambles of a party as opposed to any serious move on immigration grounds to Ukip. That is to say that right now having a party that can't function is probably a larger turn off to voters in general than their policy stances (think the Tories heading into 97, people did'nt care about the EU battle, they cared about the party being unable to use a prostitute in a brothel).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The thought just crossed my mind that Corbyn claims to have the strongest mandate of any leader in UK history, but does he really? In terms of the percentage of voting membership Cameron clearly beats him, as does IDS. If we look at sheer number Blair absolutely crushed Corbyn and almost matched the percentage, of we look at applying OMOV to it I think Blair might just be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The thought just crossed my mind that Corbyn claims to have the strongest mandate of any leader in UK history, but does he really? In terms of the percentage of voting membership Cameron clearly beats him, as does IDS. If we look at sheer number Blair absolutely crushed Corbyn and almost matched the percentage, of we look at applying OMOV to it I think Blair might just be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think Corbyn got 49% amongst the normal membership whereas Blair got about 57% (if memory serves). It's the union and £3 vote that i think Corbyn wins on. Your right though, Blair had more in numbers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think Corbyn got 49% amongst the normal membership whereas Blair got about 57% (if memory serves). It's the union and £3 vote that i think Corbyn wins on. Your right though, Blair had more in numbers.
    Corbyn had 250k overall, 49% of members, 57% of affiliated, and 84% of those paying £3 to make sure he won

Blair had 500k overall, 100k members of 170k and 410k affiliated members of 800k, and the £3 members didn't exist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    numbers are part of the patriarchy

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.