z = a + ib
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    z = a +ib
    I was following until that one

ReputationRep:
    It's a way of representing complex numbers (numbers with 'real' and 'imaginary' bits). They're a bit difficult to explain in a way that doesn't make you come off looking like a bit of a loser. I dare people to try.

Also, Ultra Bra, what a great band. Shame I don't know any Finnish. Other than my conversation booster of 'I am a walrus'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canned Door)
    Given that music generally isn't intended to be listened to backwards, I think it's a fairly good reason to call bull on that one ?

Although actually, some music probably benefits from not being listened to in the original packaging. Insert least favourite musical genre here.

edit2: Awww @ the look on the medic's face when the illness name questions came up. I'd hate that pressure.
    It is a very good reason to call bull on that one. Least favourite genres:dance, happy hardcore, hardcore dance, death metal and emo music.

I never seen university challenge tonight but that would be awful pressure, but they were more than likely standard diseases or conditions. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's a way of representing complex numbers (numbers with 'real' and 'imaginary' bits). They're a bit difficult to explain in a way that doesn't make you come off looking like a bit of a loser. I dare people to try.

Also, Ultra Bra, what a great band. Shame I don't know any Finnish. Other than my conversation booster of 'I am a walrus'.
    I would explain except i'm on my iPod and its too awkward on this too explain :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    I never seen university challenge tonight but that would be awful pressure, but they were more than likely standard diseases or conditions. :yep:
    It was about names. So given an old name for it, and a short description, give the currently used term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    I was following until that one
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hmm... let's have a go - complex numbers [z = a + ib] have two components:
    1. a 'real' part [a]: these are just your normal numbers - 1, 2, 3, pi, e, whatever; numbers which if positive I guess you could use to measure a quantity of something
    2. an 'imaginary' part [ib]: this is a multiple of i, which is something mathmos made up to represent the square root of minus one (i = sqrt(-1))
    It's useful to represent as z = a + ib as you could plot it in 2-d, with i (b) on the y-axis and r (a) on the x-axis, for visualisation purposes.

And if we're randomly quoting maths:
    ln(1 + x) ~=~ x , for small x

ReputationRep:
    Now, does anyone think they've succeeded in the challenge? Can anyone come closer to the goal? ^____^
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Hmm... let's have a go - complex numbers [z = a + ib] have two components:
    1. a 'real' part [a]: these are just your normal numbers - 1, 2, 3, pi, e, whatever; numbers which if positive I guess you could use to measure a quantity of something
    2. an 'imaginary' part [ib]: this is a multiple of i, which is something mathmos made up to represent the square root of minus one (i = sqrt(-1))
    It's useful to represent as z = a + ib as you could plot it in 2-d, with i (b) on the y-axis and r (a) on the x-axis, for visualisation purposes.

Das ist für mich wie eine Fremdsprache. Ich spreche Deutsch, aber kein Mathmoisch.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just remembered rule on untranslated FOREIGN posts. It says, "That is like a foreign language to me. I speak German, but not mathmo-ish.

ReputationRep:
    twas anything but random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Someone has given me some highly alliterative rep. Thank you.

PS nobody's on skype. Except natalie.
    I have no idea how, but somehow, I read that as 'aliterati rep'.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the master plan...

No solutions exist for

x^n = y^n + z^n for n > 2 where x,y,z, n are integers

Precision is what it's all about Alex.

Tyro and I aren't interested in your futile approximations..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by abstraction98)
    I see...

Precision is what it's all about Alex.

Tyro and I aren't interested in your futile approximations..
    lol, Tyro will have no choice but to be interested in that approximation when he's doing the Maths module next year. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I see...
    :ninja2:

lol, Tyro will have no choice but to be interested in that approximation when he's doing the Maths module next year. :yes:
    Tyro needs the Maths module like Mr T needs a hankerchief.

ReputationRep:

No solutions exist for

x^n = y^n + z^n for n > 2 where x,y,z, n are integers
    oh hi, andrew.

ReputationRep:
    I see...

does that approximation have any applied use in 1st year econ or is it maths for maths' sake?

ReputationRep:
    oh hi, andrew.

Shh

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when you all go off early:

http://open.spotify.com/user/andyroo...t6hQh4XlvAxLGW

ReputationRep:
    you mean the tiananmen square protests of 1989?

and have you seen house season 5 yet?
    O hai thar

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.