Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I know of one teacher give reduced paid hours to do her PhD as the research directly contributed to the school. It's one of those things where you just need to get a job, get settled, prove you're brilliant and then approach from there. You may not get it paid for reduced hours but they may timetable you in a way that'll free an afternoon up.
    I know of some schools that encourage research such as http://perseresearch.org/ which really appeals to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Carnationlilyrose Mr M When you apply for teaching jobs does having an IoP Teaching Scholarship add any value to an NQT?
    I'm afraid not. I believe the Scholarship is something to be proud of though.

ReputationRep:
    Current PGCE student having the hardest, worst time coping at the moment. Come here looking for somewhere to turn as I feel completely at a loss. Feeling lower than I have ever felt

Don't want this to be a massive post, so I will try to keep it as succinct as possible. I have thought that teaching was the career for me for such a long time, and finally came into it in September. At first I loved it and was doing really well. However, as time has gone on, I've been struggling to keep my head above water and have been failing to submit plans in advance, being awake most of the night due to a huge lack in confidence and inability to plan lessons, taking me 6 hours + to plan a lesson (thankfully this is coming down now). I think this in part is due to the fact that I am dyspraxic, something which I hadn't anticipated would cause me as much of a problem as it is doing, as I really struggle with organisation. I'm so behind with my folder, there is so much work missing I don't know how I will ever catch up and get it completed. I also struggled as my auntie, who had been diagnosed with cancer in December 2014, took a huge turn for the worse, gaining a terminal diagnosis in October, and rapidly deteriorating, suffering what proved to be a horrendous battle with poor treatment from certain units of the NHS. She passed away on Christmas Eve; I thought I would be prepared for this, as I was told 2 weeks before that she only had around 3 weeks to live, however the shock and pain when it did happen was overwhelming. I didn't really get any work done over the Christmas holidays as a result - it was all a huge blur. University granted me a one month extension, meaning my essay is now due this coming Monday, however with being back at school I haven't even done any research on it yet and I have no idea how I'm possibly going to get it done - I'm scared to ask uni for another extension as I think they will put me on support for concern, and I think that would make me feel 1000 times worse.

With school itself, I am making very little progress. I have been sat in the 'good' column on my LOPs for a long time, failing to make any improvements at all. I know it could be worse, but tbh I think the school are just being kind to me and not wanting to down-grade me from where I was when I started. I am really struggling with behaviour management at times - I was given a new year 8 class after the Christmas break due to a change in staffing, and though the first two lessons were great, since then they have failed to respond to me AT ALL. Today I had a supply teacher in the room with me as the class teacher was absent, and they were truly awful. I literally achieved no work with them, and they were horrible to me personally. I managed to keep myself together and did the best that I could, but when the lesson finished I sat in the store cupboard and cried for 15 minutes.

To add to all this, I'm having problems with my relationship. On New Year's Day, my boyfriend told me that he doesn't love me and that he never will. He said that this is because he no longer has the capacity to love, claiming that he does not even love his family any more, however I highly doubt that this is the case. I suspect (due to several reasons) that he is in love with his first girlfriend, and can't love anyone else because he loves her, and is just waiting for the time to be right where he can live in the same area as her again and pick things up with her again. We are carrying on, as he hasn't said that he wants to end whatever it is that we have, but he just said that he suspects I will become more and more unhappy as time goes on and he is probably right. It is the most crushing, painful feeling. I can't walk away from him though as I love him so much, and sometimes he is the only thing keeping me going. He doesn't know what I suspect about his ex, and I have thought about telling him; I adore him and want him to be happy more than anything, and if that's what it will take then that's what I want for him, as much as it breaks my heart. I could be wrong though of course and am worried about his reaction.

Amongst all of this, I have fallen into a deep depression. Some days I cannot bring myself to work at all. Currently I am awake as I haven't planned my lessons for tomorrow. I came home, had a bubble bath and a whiskey to try and switch off from the events of today, ate dinner, then fell asleep and didn't wake up until 2:30. This sort of pattern is happening all of the time lately. I am trying to avoid anti-depressants, but it's getting to the point where I don't know if I can. I had been struggling with anxiety quite badly, having attacks, spells where I couldn't stop shaking and crying, a couple of times where I thought I might be having a nervous breakdown, however the anxiety seems to have subsided since my auntie's funeral 2 weeks ago. It's become more predominantly depression, an apathy that I'm not used to having; I don't care about my work, I don't want to speak to any of my friends or family. I cry all of the time and just want to take myself off somewhere to be alone and shut off from the world.

I feel so lost at the moment, I feel like a part of my identity has gone as I'm left thinking that teaching might not be for me after it being the only thing I have wanted for a long time. I don't really have any friends on the course, so that makes me feel even lonelier as I try to ask my coursemates for help with things and they usually don't respond. I think because I've been feeling so depressed I'm awful company at the end of the day so nobody wants to know me!

I don't really know what I'm hoping to achieve by posting this; I think part of me just needed to get it out, part of me is hoping that somebody here might say they can understand how I feel, or that somebody here can offer me some advice or support.

If you have read all of this, thank you so much for your time! So sorry to have bombarded the thread with this fat massively depressing post, haha! Hope that everyone here is having a much better time with their teacher training xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Well, I've known lots of people who have done a part time MEd, so I doubt you would have any trouble finding somewhere to let you do that as it is pretty common. I don't know anyone who did a PhD after starting work as a teacher. It's not my area but I would imagine doing six years part time studying would be massively unappealing after a hard day at the chalkface.
    During my training we had a lecture from a headteacher who was in the middle of his PhD - sounded hellish. Entire weekends given over to research and meetings with academic advisors, all while running a successful school. No thanks!

(Original post by LittleRed)
    Current PGCE student having the hardest, worst time coping at the moment. Come here looking for somewhere to turn as I feel completely at a loss. Feeling lower than I have ever felt
    ................... xxxxxx
    Get yourself to the doctors, misses. You need a break and some support. I would advise talking to uni again as well - it sounds like you're having a tough time and ignoring problems (like your essay deadline) won't help matters. Hope things improve soon. x

ReputationRep:

Don't want this to be a massive post, so I will try to keep it as succinct as possible. I have thought that teaching was the career for me for such a long time, and finally came into it in September. At first I loved it and was doing really well. However, as time has gone on, I've been struggling to keep my head above water and have been failing to submit plans in advance, being awake most of the night due to a huge lack in confidence and inability to plan lessons, taking me 6 hours + to plan a lesson (thankfully this is coming down now). I think this in part is due to the fact that I am dyspraxic, something which I hadn't anticipated would cause me as much of a problem as it is doing, as I really struggle with organisation. I'm so behind with my folder, there is so much work missing I don't know how I will ever catch up and get it completed. I also struggled as my auntie, who had been diagnosed with cancer in December 2014, took a huge turn for the worse, gaining a terminal diagnosis in October, and rapidly deteriorating, suffering what proved to be a horrendous battle with poor treatment from certain units of the NHS. She passed away on Christmas Eve; I thought I would be prepared for this, as I was told 2 weeks before that she only had around 3 weeks to live, however the shock and pain when it did happen was overwhelming. I didn't really get any work done over the Christmas holidays as a result - it was all a huge blur. University granted me a one month extension, meaning my essay is now due this coming Monday, however with being back at school I haven't even done any research on it yet and I have no idea how I'm possibly going to get it done - I'm scared to ask uni for another extension as I think they will put me on support for concern, and I think that would make me feel 1000 times worse.

With school itself, I am making very little progress. I have been sat in the 'good' column on my LOPs for a long time, failing to make any improvements at all. I know it could be worse, but tbh I think the school are just being kind to me and not wanting to down-grade me from where I was when I started. I am really struggling with behaviour management at times - I was given a new year 8 class after the Christmas break due to a change in staffing, and though the first two lessons were great, since then they have failed to respond to me AT ALL. Today I had a supply teacher in the room with me as the class teacher was absent, and they were truly awful. I literally achieved no work with them, and they were horrible to me personally. I managed to keep myself together and did the best that I could, but when the lesson finished I sat in the store cupboard and cried for 15 minutes.

To add to all this, I'm having problems with my relationship. On New Year's Day, my boyfriend told me that he doesn't love me and that he never will. He said that this is because he no longer has the capacity to love, claiming that he does not even love his family any more, however I highly doubt that this is the case. I suspect (due to several reasons) that he is in love with his first girlfriend, and can't love anyone else because he loves her, and is just waiting for the time to be right where he can live in the same area as her again and pick things up with her again. We are carrying on, as he hasn't said that he wants to end whatever it is that we have, but he just said that he suspects I will become more and more unhappy as time goes on and he is probably right. It is the most crushing, painful feeling. I can't walk away from him though as I love him so much, and sometimes he is the only thing keeping me going. He doesn't know what I suspect about his ex, and I have thought about telling him; I adore him and want him to be happy more than anything, and if that's what it will take then that's what I want for him, as much as it breaks my heart. I could be wrong though of course and am worried about his reaction.

Amongst all of this, I have fallen into a deep depression. Some days I cannot bring myself to work at all. Currently I am awake as I haven't planned my lessons for tomorrow. I came home, had a bubble bath and a whiskey to try and switch off from the events of today, ate dinner, then fell asleep and didn't wake up until 2:30. This sort of pattern is happening all of the time lately. I am trying to avoid anti-depressants, but it's getting to the point where I don't know if I can. I had been struggling with anxiety quite badly, having attacks, spells where I couldn't stop shaking and crying, a couple of times where I thought I might be having a nervous breakdown, however the anxiety seems to have subsided since my auntie's funeral 2 weeks ago. It's become more predominantly depression, an apathy that I'm not used to having; I don't care about my work, I don't want to speak to any of my friends or family. I cry all of the time and just want to take myself off somewhere to be alone and shut off from the world.

I feel so lost at the moment, I feel like a part of my identity has gone as I'm left thinking that teaching might not be for me after it being the only thing I have wanted for a long time. I don't really have any friends on the course, so that makes me feel even lonelier as I try to ask my coursemates for help with things and they usually don't respond. I think because I've been feeling so depressed I'm awful company at the end of the day so nobody wants to know me!

I don't really know what I'm hoping to achieve by posting this; I think part of me just needed to get it out, part of me is hoping that somebody here might say they can understand how I feel, or that somebody here can offer me some advice or support.

If you have read all of this, thank you so much for your time! So sorry to have bombarded the thread with this fat massively depressing post, haha! Hope that everyone here is having a much better time with their teacher training xxxxxx
    First of all, *hug*.

Have you had any involvement with doctors? If not I'd certainly advise doing so. Mental health is a medical issue and can be helped medically, whether it's through antidepressants, therapy, or just talking to the doctor.

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now that I feel needs sorting out in your head before you can move on to focus on work (teaching). It's impressive you're still continuing to go in and teach and you should be proud of yourself for that.

I think the most important thing to try and accept is that your health and well-being are the most important thing. Remember, if the result turns out to be that you decide you can't continue with the course right now that DOES NOT mean that you can't ever do it. I know people who deferred mid way through the course due to personal issues. That's not saying you have to do that, but just know that it's a possibility.

I think it's great that you've posted here. I'd certainly say speaking to a doctor and your uni tutors is a good first step. Go with what you feel able to do though. Once you feel more on top of the depression, you will be able to figure out your feelings and options more accurately which, along with talking to family and here if you want, can allow you to figure out exactly what you want to do.

If you have more questions or anything, do post here! That's what this thread is for. We will listen and do all we can to help. And if you want to PM me also feel free.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It sounds like you're having a rubbish time :-(

I was pretty wobbly on my PGCE and I would definitely have crashed and burned very early on if it wasn't for my mentor and HOD. I was so lucky that someone pulled me through. If I had had a bad mentor I would have failed.
    I feel you too with the behaviour management. Mine was pretty pants most of the time and didn't really get better even though people said it would; if anything it got worse.

I agree hay the most important thing is to look after your mental health.I don't think teaching helps at all if you are not feeling strong mentally. It made me really hate myself at times as I felt weak and stupid for not coping very well, and I used to feel I would buckle under the eyes of so many scathing teenagers everyday. I think if you are having feelings of doubt and low self esteem it can really exacerbate them. I don't know about others but it also bought back miserable memories of school for me.

For me teaching is very much a self-flagellation thing. I'm not actually sure I enjoy it yet I continue to persevere. Part of me thinks it is a psychological thing and I feel safe in an orderly school environment.

There's nothing about the profession that suits me ( I hate being the centre of attention, I don't like working in my own time etc) yet I continue to do so as there is a certain high that can comes with teaching, that I love. Yet whether it's actually worth it for the stress and devastating lows it can also cause, I don't know.

As for your fella he sounds like he isn't being that supportive. He shouldn't be with you if that's the way he feels. I would get rid off him until he starts to sort his s**t out. I know that's easier said than done but you deserve to be with someone who loves you, doing a job you love. I really hope you feel better soon. If you feel you will have an immense sense of relief if you left the course, then maybe that is what you should do, and you can come back to it later.

ReputationRep:
    Hi LittleRed, I am currently halfway through NQT year and reading about your PGCE year reminded me so much of mine that it's a little scary! To be honest, as an NQT I am having the same thoughts as you - loss of confidence, wondering if it is for me, and seriously considering quitting teaching altogether. So please don't read this reply as a 'wise elder telling you what to do.' No way - I am pretty much in the same boat. This is just me letting you know you are not alone, making a couple of suggestions that you can ignore if you like.

Really, truly sorry to hear about your Aunt. During PGCE I had a grandparent diagnosed with, treated for and eventually die of cancer. I never told anyone (fellow students/tutors) about this, even though it led to a lot of stress and upset in my family (trying to juggle hospital visits/caring duties among family members and then the sadness after they died) and looking back I should have said something. People would have understood. You absolutely did the sensible thing by getting the extension and I strongly advise you speak to a tutor about getting another one. Grief and stress are the real and unavoidable reasons why the essay hasn't happened. Just tell them honestly what you told us, I'm sure they will help.

Regarding school - don't worry about being stuck in 'good'. I meandered between good/RI for my entire course and never got a single 'outstanding'. I still came out with a 'good' overall at the end and it really doesn't matter once you finish the course. As for behaviour - I still haven't cracked in my NQT year, and I've seen many more experienced teachers have issues. You're still a trainee, of course there will be issues. Don't beat yourself up!

Relationship- well, I was attempting to keep a long-distance relationship going over PGCE year. Not the best idea, as you can imagine, since the course meant not a lot of time for phone calls, emails and visits to keep the relationship alive. The other person was very clingy and demanding and didn't understand why I couldn't offer constant reassurance and contact. It wasn't fair on either of us and I ended up breaking it off. Whilst I was really upset about this, it did mean I could concentrate on passing the course. Not that you should necessarily do the same but...your boyfriend's behaviour is a red flag to me. Why would you stay with someone who says such horrible things and makes you feel awful? It sounds like, rather than support you, he is adding more stress. Is there any chance you could have a 'break' from the relationship and revisit it at a later date when there isn't so much on your plate?

The loss of identity thing is a bit part and parcel of PGCE/NQT I'm afraid, as most trainees/new teachers are so busy they don't have time for other hobbies/interests. All I'll say is apparently it is temporary??

Do what the others say, go to the docs and tell them how anxious you are and about the panic attacks. If you do get offered them remember that there is no shame in anti depressants, and they are a genuine help to many people. They are a medicine like any other.

And if you do have to defer, try not to worry - we had a couple of people on my course who had to defer for personal reasons. They are retaking this year - it can be done.

ReputationRep:

Huge hugs . Hope you're feeling a bit better today

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any Psychology Teachers in here that feel like joining a FB group?

A place to meet like-minded people, share ideas, resources and stress/achievements

https://www.facebook.com/groups/559151330911835/

ReputationRep:

Wow, I really feel for you after reading this post. The PGCE is tough going, I know that I am feeling stressed at the moment and will be commencing CBT next week. I also have an anxiety disorder which I have to try and control.

I have never used meds but wouldn't say no and I would SERIOUSLY consider it if I were you and would definitely go to your doctor to discuss your options.

Being good is a good place to be (for want of a better word)! and is certainly nothing to feel bad about. I think everyone has that moment where they show no improvement and kind of stay in one place for a while and that is fine. This is probably the time where you are consolidating what you have learnt and will find once you start to mentally feel better, you make an improvement.

Also, going through a bereavement is incredibly hard. My Dad passed away during my second year of my undergrad degree and it was so hard to try and carry on. Allow yourself time to grieve for your Auntie and accept the fact that you are undergoing major emotional turmoil right now and that it will pass with time and healing.

I don't have much advice for your relationship, mainly because I can't make one last longer than three months, but if he is making you unhappy and you have all these thoughts about him being in love with his ex girlfriend you need to speak to him and make a decision- I know it must be tough as you are in love with him but I think you need to start making decisions that are tough but are essentially going to make your life better in the long term.

I hope this helps and good luck. Sending you some peace xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently back at uni after completing my first placement and I'm looking to start applying for jobs. I'm 21 and came straight for undergrad onto the pgce course, I have two questions
    1. What do I put down for current or most recent employment?
    2.What do I put down for Employment history?

Bear in mind I've had no gaps in between my education and my most recent job was as a retail assistant in Argos where I only lasted just about 6 months :/ Could any one advise me on how to fill those parts in? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkyhouse)
    Hi all,

I'm currently back at uni after completing my first placement and I'm looking to start applying for jobs. I'm 21 and came straight for undergrad onto the pgce course, I have two questions
    1. What do I put down for current or most recent employment?
    2.What do I put down for Employment history?

Bear in mind I've had no gaps in between my education and my most recent job was as a retail assistant in Argos where I only lasted just about 6 months :/ Could any one advise me on how to fill those parts in? Thank you
    At the time I did mine I was advised to put my placement in the current/most recent employment, but to make very clear that it wasn't paid - "PGCE Placement (Unpaid)" or similar. This means they can quickly see the most recent relevant experience (which is really what they're looking for) but keeps it clear that you're still a trainee.

Then on employment history I'd just list your actual jobs and relevant volunteering (unless there's a separate section for that) in chronological order from Argos backwards. Your PGCE will obviously go on the education section as currently studying.

It's worth checking with your tutor at uni (or the relevant teaching careers person) as it can be done differently in different areas. At the end of the day remember that as long as you have all the information there without repetition and clearly/without mistakes they probably wont care whether you put it in box A or B especially considering the ambiguity of the situation. And do you want to work in a school that doesn't hire you because of that anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    At the time I did mine I was advised to put my placement in the current/most recent employment, but to make very clear that it wasn't paid - "PGCE Placement (Unpaid)" or similar. This means they can quickly see the most recent relevant experience (which is really what they're looking for) but keeps it clear that you're still a trainee.

Then on employment history I'd just list your actual jobs and relevant volunteering (unless there's a separate section for that) in chronological order from Argos backwards. Your PGCE will obviously go on the education section as currently studying.

It's worth checking with your tutor at uni (or the relevant teaching careers person) as it can be done differently in different areas. At the end of the day remember that as long as you have all the information there without repetition and clearly/without mistakes they probably wont care whether you put it in box A or B especially considering the ambiguity of the situation. And do you want to work in a school that doesn't hire you because of that anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, Thank you! That was what I was thinking initially, I have a lecture tmrw on applying for a first job, so hopefully I can clarify this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm a current PGCE student, and finding things really really difficult at the moment... I was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice. I feel as though I am making such little progress, and that I'm never doing anything right... at the moment, my self-confidence is just falling and falling. I'm currently between RI and Good but just finding things so hard.

In terms of subject knowledge I feel as though I'm doing awfully... My uni is not supporting any SK sessions at all, and I'm struggling to teach myself (I'm a PE student) based on just internet and book resources. Because of this, my lesson planning is taking me about 2/3 hours per lesson which just fills me with panic, and leads to me being really disorganised and last minute. I think this is how my mentor and AT see me, but really I am trying my very hardest to keep up and research and write really in-depth lesson plans!

I have also been told that I am not what the school/uni expected, due to my having a really good interview- i.e. I'm much worse than expected... This really makes me feel worried that I shouldn't be teaching! I just don't know what to do- I feel like I can't ever get it right with my mentor and in my lessons, and it is all getting on top of me massively. I've come straight out of uni, and resilience clearly isn't a strength of mine! I feel like the expectations of my training school are so high, and I am never going to meet them. Don't feel as though I am able to talk to either my mentor or AT. So basically I'm just in the middle of confusion, anxiety, panic, lack of self-confidence and feel like i'm going to fail... help!

I just don't know how to move forwards... any advice would be hugely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeemma15)
    Hey Guys,

I'm a current PGCE student, and finding things really really difficult at the moment... I was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice. I feel as though I am making such little progress, and that I'm never doing anything right... at the moment, my self-confidence is just falling and falling. I'm currently between RI and Good but just finding things so hard.

In terms of subject knowledge I feel as though I'm doing awfully... My uni is not supporting any SK sessions at all, and I'm struggling to teach myself (I'm a PE student) based on just internet and book resources. Because of this, my lesson planning is taking me about 2/3 hours per lesson which just fills me with panic, and leads to me being really disorganised and last minute. I think this is how my mentor and AT see me, but really I am trying my very hardest to keep up and research and write really in-depth lesson plans!

I have also been told that I am not what the school/uni expected, due to my having a really good interview- i.e. I'm much worse than expected... This really makes me feel worried that I shouldn't be teaching! I just don't know what to do- I feel like I can't ever get it right with my mentor and in my lessons, and it is all getting on top of me massively. I've come straight out of uni, and resilience clearly isn't a strength of mine! I feel like the expectations of my training school are so high, and I am never going to meet them. Don't feel as though I am able to talk to either my mentor or AT. So basically I'm just in the middle of confusion, anxiety, panic, lack of self-confidence and feel like i'm going to fail... help!

I just don't know how to move forwards... any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Stop writing long, in depth lesson plans! Plans should be a reminder for you; you demonstrate that you're meeting the standards through your reflections and the children's progress. There are lots of different forms of evidence.

I'm a primary NQT+1 and when I was training I was rated RI on one of my observations - my feedback was to stop over planning. When you put that much detail in you're setting yourself up to fail because you can't possibly remember everything so it ruins the flow of the lesson.

Best advice I ever had was to never spend more time planning a lesson than you will delivering it. My maths lessons for example take 10-15 minutes to intro to the children so that's how long I spend on each lesson plan maximum.

You will get to the stage where you'll only have to glance at your lesson plan before a lesson. Don't be a slave to it, change and adapt as you need to. It's there to help you not to beat yourself up with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice idea to say "stop planning so in depth" but a lot of unis want you to. My uni would never let you get away with planning bare bones notes. We have planning sheets to use and have to show differentiation, assessment, pupil progress etc. And I actually think it's a great idea and really helps when filing in your PDR and having hard evidence of meeting teachers standards for QTS or job applications.

While I agree that this kind of planning isn't necessary for an experienced teacher, I think it can be helpful for trainees. Especially if they're struggling and lesson structure is what's causing that. Two years post PGCE I'm not surprised it takes you 10-15 minutes to plan a lesson, but that doesn't mean that level of planning would be helpful for a trainee who is struggling.

Sticking rigidly to plans and being unable to adapt to the classroom reality is obviously a flaw that needs to be worked on, but that isn't "overplanning". And if planning is taking you hours and causing anxiety and stress, that'd not really overplanning either- that's a sign you need more support or training from your mentors and uni.

I don't think a trainee teacher can really be "planning too much" on their first placement. However, they can be "planning unproductively" or have other anxieties which are manifesting when planning.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I really think you need to talk to your mentor or AT here. I know it can be scary when you feel like they just think you're crap (im convinced that my placement school deputy head thought that about me). But at this point you really don't have anything to lose from approaching them and asking for help. Even if they turn out to be unhelpful and cruel, that might at least help your self confidence to know that actually you've done what you can to improve and been rebuffed.

It might just be that they have very rigid ideas of what teachers should be doing and nothing else will satisfy them. In which case you might just have to "play the game' and bite your tongue for this placement and do what they want, even if you don't agree. It can actually be a great learning experience- of what you won't do in your own classroom! Then on your next placement you will hopefully have more of a chance to do things your way. That's what happened to me in my first placement.

I think the main thing is to get a grip on the planning. In depth lesson plans are great (in my opinion) but even as a trainee they shouldn't take 2-3 hours. I'm assuming you're like I can be and spend a lot of time with mental blocks due to frustration? Does your uni give you planning sheets to use, and do you find them helpful? Maybe google and find one that suits you better and gives you more of a focus when planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    It's a nice idea to say "stop planning so in depth" but a lot of unis want you to. My uni would never let you get away with planning bare bones notes. We have planning sheets to use and have to show differentiation, assessment, pupil progress etc. And I actually think it's a great idea and really helps when filing in your PDR and having hard evidence of meeting teachers standards for QTS or job applications.

While I agree that this kind of planning isn't necessary for an experienced teacher, I think it can be helpful for trainees. Especially if they're struggling and lesson structure is what's causing that. Two years post PGCE I'm not surprised it takes you 10-15 minutes to plan a lesson, but that doesn't mean that level of planning would be helpful for a trainee who is struggling.

Sticking rigidly to plans and being unable to adapt to the classroom reality is obviously a flaw that needs to be worked on, but that isn't "overplanning". And if planning is taking you hours and causing anxiety and stress, that'd not really overplanning either- that's a sign you need more support or training from your mentors and uni.

I don't think a trainee teacher can really be "planning too much" on their first placement. However, they can be "planning unproductively" or have other anxieties which are manifesting when planning.
    Yes I agree, but when I say to stop planning so in depth I mean don't use it as a script or to justify every single decision. Obviously trainees can't plan in note form but when I was told to plan in less depth I was on my 3rd week of my first pgce placement. When my visiting tutor came I wrote less in depth plans (but probably 3x as in depth as I write now) and they were considered 'outstanding'. Before that I had been writing in masses about why I wanted child a to sit next to child b and not child c and the exact reasoning behind using thumbs up thumbs down and not another assessment method. It's useful to explain but not every little detail.

When I trained my cohort were trying to match and annotate specific standards into each section of their plans. It's time consuming and not productive. The bottom line is it has to work for you and it's obviously not working for the poster.

Another tip is look at the saved planning from the previous year e.g last's Spring shape lessons and adapt that. Don't feel you have to do everything from scratch and usually the simplest lesson is the most effective. It doesn't have to be bells and whistles all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I don't know exactly how you are going about your planning, but near the end of my first placement, I had a small epiphany about the way I should plan. For me, I now consider exactly what I want children to be able to do at the end of a lesson, or a series of lessons, what they can already do, and then a step by step flow chart of what I can teach to help them. Because it's all in rough, I can scribble bits here and there, and then just transfer the end products into my planning format. It's taking me abut 20-30 minutes now to plan a lesson, depending on what the subject is (I'm doing Primary).

I guess what I'm saying is that, maybe your method of planning isn't the right one for you - something you can only find out by doing, and then trying something else. Also, if you need more help, you should be asking for it, and then receiving it! Definitely ask your mentor for more support, like a bare bones plan that you can pad out. Or possibly the learning objective for the lesson, which would give you a starting point of what you need to achieve. But if they aren't being helpful, go further up and talk to someone else - as a trainee teacher, you NEED support! Make sure you get it from somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyRain)
    Yes I agree, but when I say to stop planning so in depth I mean don't use it as a script or to justify every single decision. Obviously trainees can't plan in note form but when I was told to plan in less depth I was on my 3rd week of my first pgce placement. When my visiting tutor came I wrote less in depth plans (but probably 3x as in depth as I write now) and they were considered 'outstanding'. Before that I had been writing in masses about why I wanted child a to sit next to child b and not child c and the exact reasoning behind using thumbs up thumbs down and not another assessment method. It's useful to explain but not every little detail.

When I trained my cohort were trying to match and annotate specific standards into each section of their plans. It's time consuming and not productive. The bottom line is it has to work for you and it's obviously not working for the poster.

Another tip is look at the saved planning from the previous year e.g last's Spring shape lessons and adapt that. Don't feel you have to do everything from scratch and usually the simplest lesson is the most effective. It doesn't have to be bells and whistles all the time.
    OK, it literally had not occurred to me that someone might be planning in that much detail! So I'll concede that maybe over planning does exist after all!

Your comments about seating arrangements just reminded me of my biggest frustration about my first placement. The teacher had them sit in 'morning seats' and 'afternoon seats'. I still have no idea what purpose that served other than to drive me insane every day when they came in in the afternoon and asked where they should be sitting (hint: it's afternoon so maybe your afternoon seats. Like every other day since September).

Sorry, that was utterly irrelevant but once it popped into my mind I had to vent haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.