Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    So I'm projecting, but yet you proceed to do the exact same thing a matter of words later....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "This is trademark Pakistani"- clear prejudice :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "This is trademark Pakistani"- clear prejudice :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you deny that? Yet to have a Pakistani friend who says he's proud to be British, and I definitely have more than one or two.

That wasn't projecting either though, and I still think my point stands. Just because your community are like that, doesn't mean other immigrant communities have been. As I said, there are non white Lords, how are they not British? How is Karan Billamoria not British? How is Doreen Lawrence not British?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    So you deny that? Yet to have a Pakistani friend who says he's proud to be British, and I definitely have more than one or two.
    So your more than 2 Pakistani friends now speak for a population of millions in the UK.... Ok.
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    That wasn't projecting either though, and I still think my point stands. Just because your community are like that, doesn't mean other immigrant communities have been. As I said, there are non white Lords, how are they not British? How is Karan Billamoria not British? How is Doreen Lawrence not British?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like how you missed out Baroness Warsi.

They're not British because they don't originate from here, your ethnicity isn't determined by where you live. Nationality wise they are "British (insert real country they're from)" and even that's only for political purposes. Of course they can stand for British values and represent Britain on the world stage, but they're not British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ^ lol at the post above. What do you guys think, do you constitute Indians/Pakistani's/ethnics as British simply because they live here? I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's some many ways to interpret that.

If they were born in Britain? Yes
    If they moved here at a very early age? Yes
    If they moved here in their teens? No
    If their parents are British? Yes
    If they moved here as an adult? No

To use your example of Mo Farah, he moved to England as a child and has a British parent. So i'd class him as British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    There's some many ways to interpret that.

If they were born in Britain? Yes
    If they moved here at a very early age? Yes
    If they moved here in their teens? No
    If their parents are British? Yes
    If they moved here as an adult? No

To use your example of Mo Farah, he moved to England as a child and has a British parent. So i'd class him as British.
    Hmm interesting views. I would disagree though. I think that immigrants can contribute a lot to society, fully integrate and hold British values but they're not British. Though I don't know why they would classify themselves as British, they should be proud of their origins in the same way I would like say an Englishman born in Africa to be proud of his roots and classify himself as British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    To buy a Macbook Air, would it be better to get it directly from the Apple store or just get it from PC World, its the same price at either places its just a matter of where to purchase it.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    ... So marrying an Englishman makes your British? I think I want to be Nigerian, guess I'll marry a Nigerian lady then :laugh: I don't think anyone would argue she is British and I'm quite confused that you do to be honest.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2976847

Made a thread about it by the way, everyone please vote and express opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you lots always use Nigeria as an example lmao.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    To buy a Macbook Air, would it be better to get it directly from the Apple store or just get it from PC World, its the same price at either places its just a matter of where to purchase it.
    If you've got a John Lewis near you go there. Might be a tad more expensive but their aftercare service is unbeatable.

Hmm interesting views. I would disagree though. I think that immigrants can contribute a lot to society, fully integrate and hold British values but they're not British. Though I don't know why they would classify themselves as British, they should be proud of their origins in the same way I would like say an Englishman born in Africa to be proud of his roots and classify himself as British.
    Oh I don't disagree, but what generation do you draw the line? Should someone like Danny Welbeck (born in Manchester to Ghanaian parents), Raheem Sterling (born in Jamaica) or Saido Berahino (who arrived here as an immigrant) not consider themselves to be British?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of organising the 2014 FF awards soon as well, would people be up for that?

Think Jam won everything last year :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Thinking of organising the 2014 FF awards soon as well, would people be up for that?

Fo sho

ReputationRep:
    So your more than 2 Pakistani friends now speak for a population of millions in the UK.... Ok.

Like how you missed out Baroness Warsi.

They're not British because they don't originate from here, your ethnicity isn't determined by where you live. Nationality wise they are "British (insert real country they're from)" and even that's only for political purposes. Of course they can stand for British values and represent Britain on the world stage, but they're not British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I forgot her, seen her loads of times on question time. But there you go, is she not British? She's invested her ENTIRE life into this country, she is as British as British can be.

I never argued that their ethnicity changes. British is not a race/ethnicity at all. I can understand if you said I can't be 'English' even if I have English values.

Either way I maintain the lady on make Leicester British was British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    If you've got a John Lewis near you go there. Might be a tad more expensive but their aftercare service is unbeatable.
    Yeah I do have one near me. That's what's important to me the after care, if anything goes wrong with the macbook who will offer me better service/care? Thanks for the response.

(Original post by sr90)

Ohh yes please!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is what i've got so far, if anyone has any name suggestions or some new awards fire away. I'll make a thread next week.

The Diego Costa Award - For the newcomer to the forum that has impressed you the most
    The Nadine Kessler Award - For the best female member across the forum
    The Cristiano Ronaldo Award - For the member who no longer posts in these parts but whom you wish still did
    The Mario Balotelli Award - For the member who always makes you laugh
    The Jose Mourinho Award – For the biggest WUM
    The Gary Neville Award - For the best debater across the forum
    The Jonathan Wilson Award - For the most knowledgeable member across the forum
    The Marco Reus Award - For the member who supports another team, but who you wished was on your side!
    The David Moyes Award – For the member who has provided us with the best quote of the year
    The TSR d'Or - For the overall best member on the football forums

ReputationRep:
    Bender/Da Silva award - Best dupe

ReputationRep:
    I nominate myself for every award. Then I might get something !

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1416253454002.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.2 KB

I'm just going to leave this here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question guys, I live in zone 3, I want to get into zone 4 but the zone 4 is very far away. Will I have to pay for a zone 1-4 or will it be a zone 3-4 price?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Bender/Da Silva award - Best dupe
    Has to be Nwakaeme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Well if you're in uni you'll get Education discount of 14% if you order from Apple I believe.

But yeah John Lewis giving 3 year guarantee for free. Both good offers.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.