Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Divinitywolf)
Its natural to feel nervous about starting work, I would.
Why are you worried about your family? Through worrying, you're proving to yourself that you care about them which can never be a bad thing.
As for the birthday card, he'll know its the thought that counts. It doesn't have to be perfect.
But hey... on the bright side, you're not keeping it all inside. Thats great because it means people can help you feel better =)
I really should practice what I preach but I prefer to keep things inside.
My Mum is really really down at the minute. She also needs to get a job after 20 years of being unemployed. Plus she's going through a cancer scare and is suicidal. I've let her down by leaving uni. She thinks I hate her as 3 psychiatrists who saw my brother told her she was a **** parent and that she didn't deserve respect.

My uncle and cousin are both in hospital which isn't good either. But their illnesses aren't life threatening. Well..my cousin's could be but hopefully not. My uncle may have his leg amputated but he'll still be alive.

And yeah, I know it's the thought that counts but it's Gav and I want to show him that I care. :o:
Divinitywolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
My Mum is really really down at the minute. She also needs to get a job after 20 years of being unemployed. Plus she's going through a cancer scare and is suicidal. I've let her down by leaving uni. She thinks I hate her as 3 psychiatrists who saw my brother told her she was a **** parent and that she didn't deserve respect.

My uncle and cousin are both in hospital which isn't good either. But their illnesses aren't life threatening. Well..my cousin's could be but hopefully not. My uncle may have his leg amputated but he'll still be alive.

And yeah, I know it's the thought that counts but it's Gav and I want to show him that I care. :o:
Then its your job to prove to her that she is a good parent and that you love her no matter what happens. Be there to support her and she'll feel better.
For your cousin and uncle, its the same. All you can do is to just support them and by making them feel better, you'll make yourself feel better.

You're showing him you care by trying to get the card perfect. Thats proof enough and I bet he see's it in your eyes that you care. The eyes are the windows to the soul...
FizzBitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That "mental health is often used as an excuse" thread has slightly annoyed me...I can't believe there are people out there who would lie about having a mental illness to get an "easy ride"...and also that there are GPs who don't seem to realise how debilitating/life ruining a mental illness can be.
Divinitywolf
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fizz*****)
That "mental health is often used as an excuse" thread has slightly annoyed me...I can't believe there are people out there who would lie about having a mental illness to get an "easy ride"...and also that there are GPs who don't seem to realise how debilitating/life ruining a mental illness can be.
I agree. Something so simple like social anxiety can still majorly mess up someones life. But most people like attention and there are some that would lie to get attention and the things that they want.
Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pinksapphires, don't worry about the job. don't get cold feet. if it goes well it could sort your life out. go for it and don't look back!
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pocket Calculator)
pinksapphires, don't worry about the job. don't get cold feet. if it goes well it could sort your life out. go for it and don't look back!
Oh yeah, don't worry, I'll be there at 9.45am Saturday morning and I'll work my socks off and earn my £5.10 per hour!!! Hopefully I'll make some friends out of it too

How are you? x
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Divinitywolf)
I agree. Something so simple like social anxiety can still majorly mess up someones life. But most people like attention and there are some that would lie to get attention and the things that they want.
It's just sad that people would make up that they have a mental illness when those of us who have one desperately want to feel okay again and live life to the full.
I guess I'm just feeling a bit touchy today about mental illness, because over the last few days some people have made some really ignorant comments, including my psychology teacher who said to the whole class "you wouldn't want to get in a taxi if you knew the driver was receiving psychiatric help" and everyone laughed and some people started talking about "nutters with mental illness" and one person said they wouldn't want to be near someone who was mentally ill...and I was just sat there thinking "yeah well there's someone in the class who sees a psychiatrist and none of you have a clue". :rolleyes:

Anyway rant over!

How is everyone?
blackfish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just sad that people would make up that they have a mental illness when those of us who have one desperately want to feel okay again and live life to the full.
I guess I'm just feeling a bit touchy today about mental illness, because over the last few days some people have made some really ignorant comments, including my psychology teacher who said to the whole class "you wouldn't want to get in a taxi if you knew the driver was receiving psychiatric help" and everyone laughed and some people started talking about "nutters with mental illness" and one person said they wouldn't want to be near someone who was mentally ill...and I was just sat there thinking "yeah well there's someone in the class who sees a psychiatrist and none of you have a clue". :rolleyes:

Anyway rant over!

How is everyone?
I've been in that situation when I was in secondary school. That sort of ignorance really annoys me. Nobody new that I was seeing a psychiatrist for psychosis and depression. Then, eventually, like all things, it came out. Some people were horrified and one parent threatened to sue the school because she considered me "too high a risk for public education and a danger to her kids" 2 words... Shut... Up...!

I'm feeling pretty rough at the moment Fizz, how are you?? :hugs:

Fish
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blackfish)
I've been in that situation when I was in secondary school. That sort of ignorance really annoys me. Nobody new that I was seeing a psychiatrist for psychosis and depression. Then, eventually, like all things, it came out. Some people were horrified and one parent threatened to sue the school because she considered me "too high a risk for public education and a danger to her kids" 2 words... Shut... Up...!

I'm feeling pretty rough at the moment Fizz, how are you?? :hugs:

Fish
Woaah that parent completley over reacted! It's funny (not in a haha way) that no one could tell there was anything "wrong" with you, but as soon as the psychosis or depression label comes out you are suddenly dangerous. She probably heard the word "psychosis" and thought it meant you were insane or something. :rolleyes:

Why are you feeling rough? :hugs:

I'm feeling a little grumpy but otherwise okay I think!
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pink_sapphires*)
Oh yeah, don't worry, I'll be there at 9.45am Saturday morning and I'll work my socks off and earn my £5.10 per hour!!! Hopefully I'll make some friends out of it too

How are you? x
****. falling apart inside, terrified ive blown my chances with the only girl to have shown any remote interest in me in a good two years. petrified that i'll end up homeless over easter (and summer) and have to sleep on friends floors all over the country just to avoid literally becoming a tramp. dissilusioned after attending a careers day and being told numerous times that my degree is worthless. what the **** is this supposed life i lead?

i'm on the edge.

but good luck with the job. honest. i hope things work out
Dadeling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to my doctor tomorrow and I'm really worried. I think I may have had depression since I was 16ish but its taken me 3 and a half years to realise the way I feel is wrong, its like i'm numb 50% of the time and unhappy the rest and I don't know why. I just don't know what to say to the doctor. Can anyone help? :[
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dadeling)
I'm going to my doctor tomorrow and I'm really worried. I think I may have had depression since I was 16ish but its taken me 3 and a half years to realise the way I feel is wrong, its like i'm numb 50% of the time and unhappy the rest and I don't know why. I just don't know what to say to the doctor. Can anyone help? :[
Just say that you've been feeling really down/not yourself for a long time, they'll probably ask you to describe how you are feeling, and then ask you about things like your sleeping, your eating habits etc. Try to not worry, it should be alright!
Dadeling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just say that you've been feeling really down/not yourself for a long time, they'll probably ask you to describe how you are feeling, and then ask you about things like your sleeping, your eating habits etc. Try to not worry, it should be alright!
Thank you, do they normally diagnose you in the same appointment or do they monitor it? Considering i've been feeling like this for so long, I doubt it'll change any time soon and its pretty constant.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, sounds about right. You feel upset and anxious half your waking hours, even when you should be happy.

I've never actually got medical help for mine though. I really should do.

welcome to the society! (you're new, right?)
FizzBitch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thank you, do they normally diagnose you in the same appointment or do they monitor it? Considering i've been feeling like this for so long, I doubt it'll change any time soon and its pretty constant.
I'm not entirely sure, I think it differs from person to person. When I went in, my GP said it definitely sounded like I had depression, and she got me an emergency appointment with CAMHS (the under 18s mental health service) to see someone for an initial assessment, she said I needed counselling and and she reffered me to a psychiatrist to put me on medication. I think with some people who have just felt down for a short amount of time, they'll tell them to come back in two weeks or so, but seen as you've been feeling the way you are for a long time your GP might diagnose you during the appointment. I know someone who went in, talked to her GP for a few minutes, and came out with a diagnosis and prescription. I think it just differs depending on the GP and the patient tbh.
Dadeling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep, sounds about right. You feel upset and anxious half your waking hours, even when you should be happy.

I've never actually got medical help for mine though. I really should do.

welcome to the society! (you're new, right?)
Yeah I am, I had a kind of mini breakdown (uncontrollable crying for about an hour down the phone to my parents) at the weekend due to arguments in my halls and decided I need help. I read through some of the previous posts and you sound like an amazing support and comfort for each other. Is paranoia part of depression, when ever I go anywhere I feel like people are watching me or talking about me or laughing at me and as soon as i get back to the safety of my own room I think back and realise how silly it was but I can't stop it. I'm starting to hate going outside
blackfish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woaah that parent completley over reacted! It's funny (not in a haha way) that no one could tell there was anything "wrong" with you, but as soon as the psychosis or depression label comes out you are suddenly dangerous. She probably heard the word "psychosis" and thought it meant you were insane or something. :rolleyes:
When I was at school I was more of a part of furniture than a student. If I was there, noone knew, If I wasn't, nobody cared. I managed to hide my depression so well that when I eventually had a nervous breakdown, people were really suprised. I had nasty insomnia as well.

I still have depression and occasionally I get a bit of insomnia, but I guess thats life *sigh*

Why are you feeling rough? :hugs:

I'm feeling a little grumpy but otherwise okay I think!
I was feeling really [email protected] because I felt like nobody believed in me. I want a job where I can do what i'm trained to do, but I wouldn't be able to hold it down, not to mention I'm not exactly a team player, which as a Network Engineer is essential.

How are you today?

Dadeline, I know what you mean by thinking that people are "plotting or mocking" you behind your back. Something I have trouble with as well. If you go to the appointment, try to tell them as much as you can, the more they know, the better they can customize your recovery plan. :hugs: welcome to the Dep Soc
Dadeling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by blackfish)
Dadeline, I know what you mean by thinking that people are "plotting or mocking" you behind your back. Something I have trouble with as well. If you go to the appointment, try to tell them as much as you can, the more they know, the better they can customize your recovery plan. :hugs: welcome to the Dep Soc
Thank you :redface: I went for a jog this evening and it helped me feel a bit better. Its nice to be home with my parents too, i hate my halls at uni.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I am, I had a kind of mini breakdown (uncontrollable crying for about an hour down the phone to my parents) at the weekend due to arguments in my halls and decided I need help. I read through some of the previous posts and you sound like an amazing support and comfort for each other. Is paranoia part of depression, when ever I go anywhere I feel like people are watching me or talking about me or laughing at me and as soon as i get back to the safety of my own room I think back and realise how silly it was but I can't stop it. I'm starting to hate going outside
whats going on in halls then? for me, it's the only place i have left where i feel wanted.
i get a fair bit of paranoia. you always end up wondering whether or not your friends actually like you or not. for me anxiety is always the main symptom though.

i hope coming here helps you in some way.
Dadeling
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
whats going on in halls then? for me, it's the only place i have left where i feel wanted.
i get a fair bit of paranoia. you always end up wondering whether or not your friends actually like you or not. for me anxiety is always the main symptom though.

i hope coming here helps you in some way.
I live in an all girl block, just that should explain it, apart from the fact that there is one girl who is just poison. Talking about it helps, i kinda hope i get offered counselling. Talking helps :redface:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise