Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    I don't know exactly how you are going about your planning, but near the end of my first placement, I had a small epiphany about the way I should plan. For me, I now consider exactly what I want children to be able to do at the end of a lesson, or a series of lessons, what they can already do, and then a step by step flow chart of what I can teach to help them. Because it's all in rough, I can scribble bits here and there, and then just transfer the end products into my planning format. It's taking me abut 20-30 minutes now to plan a lesson, depending on what the subject is (I'm doing Primary).
    Seconded. This helped me massively when I started to "plan backwards". It's so logical but so many unis never think to mention it. You don't go on a journey without a destination in mind, so how can you plan a lesson without knowing the end goal you're moving towards?

I also found breaking things down into quantifiable success criteria helped. When I started, I had vague goals such as "understand the bus stop method" (when the L.O would be something like "I can use bus stop method effectively", so my success criteria were pointless). It helped massively when planning my lessons. If there are 3 steps to success, you can plan something to hit each step and that's most of your input done.

It also saved my sanity when the let kids didn't understand something. It took me from "None of them can do bus stop?!?!? I'm a crap teacher and need to do the whole concept again from scratch" to "Most of them got lost when carrying on the bus stop? Let's just target that". So much more useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    OK, it literally had not occurred to me that someone might be planning in that much detail! So I'll concede that maybe over planning does exist after all!

Your comments about seating arrangements just reminded me of my biggest frustration about my first placement. The teacher had them sit in 'morning seats' and 'afternoon seats'. I still have no idea what purpose that served other than to drive me insane every day when they came in in the afternoon and asked where they should be sitting (hint: it's afternoon so maybe your afternoon seats. Like every other day since September).

Sorry, that was utterly irrelevant but once it popped into my mind I had to vent haha.
    Haha mine have morning seats which are for the core subjects. Sometimes ability grouped, other times deliberately mixed up with certain pairs working together to get them motivated. Afternoon seats are always mixed ability

They understand the concept of afternoon spaces because they link it to home time but they can't remember their maths places unless I remind them that they also eat their snack in those seats. English is too much to remember though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyRain)
    Haha mine have morning seats which are for the core subjects. Sometimes ability grouped, other times deliberately mixed up with certain pairs working together to get them motivated. Afternoon seats are always mixed ability

They understand the concept of afternoon spaces because they link it to home time but they can't remember their maths places unless I remind them that they also eat their snack in those seats. English is too much to remember though!
    Haha, mine were Year 4 though so you think they'd have worked out the concept of morning and afternoon! We also had maths and English seats, so I think my AT just liked the challenge of an unnecessary transition period haha.

Although I did spend four weeks getting annoyed at the constant "Is it nearly lunchtime/break time/ home time?" questions and assuming they were just being awkward (they were a v challenging class behaviour wise). Then our next maths topic was telling the time and I realised they genuinely didn't know. Oops!

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed year 1 & 2. I feel your pain with telling the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The main positive of NQT year - no lesson plans! Honestly. I didn't realise how time consuming they were until I didn't have to them anymore. I never stuck to them anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)

Your comments about seating arrangements just reminded me of my biggest frustration about my first placement. The teacher had them sit in 'morning seats' and 'afternoon seats'. I still have no idea what purpose that served other than to drive me insane every day when they came in in the afternoon and asked where they should be sitting (hint: it's afternoon so maybe your afternoon seats. Like every other day since September).

Sorry, that was utterly irrelevant but once it popped into my mind I had to vent haha.
    That would drive me insane! I was EYFS and KS1 and never had to even use seating plans.

(Original post by HappyRain)
    I'm mixed year 1 & 2. I feel your pain with telling the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Time is such a weird one. It seems like it almost doesn't link with anything else... Most new topics you can roughly guess how different pupils will find it based on how they get on with other things, but time was almost completely random. Some of them it seemed to just click for and others not!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleRed)
    Current PGCE student having the hardest, worst time coping at the moment. Come here looking for somewhere to turn as I feel completely at a loss. Feeling lower than I have ever felt

Don't want this to be a massive post, so I will try to keep it as succinct as possible. I have thought that teaching was the career for me for such a long time, and finally came into it in September. At first I loved it and was doing really well. However, as time has gone on, I've been struggling to keep my head above water and have been failing to submit plans in advance, being awake most of the night due to a huge lack in confidence and inability to plan lessons, taking me 6 hours + to plan a lesson (thankfully this is coming down now). I think this in part is due to the fact that I am dyspraxic, something which I hadn't anticipated would cause me as much of a problem as it is doing, as I really struggle with organisation. I'm so behind with my folder, there is so much work missing I don't know how I will ever catch up and get it completed. I also struggled as my auntie, who had been diagnosed with cancer in December 2014, took a huge turn for the worse, gaining a terminal diagnosis in October, and rapidly deteriorating, suffering what proved to be a horrendous battle with poor treatment from certain units of the NHS. She passed away on Christmas Eve; I thought I would be prepared for this, as I was told 2 weeks before that she only had around 3 weeks to live, however the shock and pain when it did happen was overwhelming. I didn't really get any work done over the Christmas holidays as a result - it was all a huge blur. University granted me a one month extension, meaning my essay is now due this coming Monday, however with being back at school I haven't even done any research on it yet and I have no idea how I'm possibly going to get it done - I'm scared to ask uni for another extension as I think they will put me on support for concern, and I think that would make me feel 1000 times worse.

With school itself, I am making very little progress. I have been sat in the 'good' column on my LOPs for a long time, failing to make any improvements at all. I know it could be worse, but tbh I think the school are just being kind to me and not wanting to down-grade me from where I was when I started. I am really struggling with behaviour management at times - I was given a new year 8 class after the Christmas break due to a change in staffing, and though the first two lessons were great, since then they have failed to respond to me AT ALL. Today I had a supply teacher in the room with me as the class teacher was absent, and they were truly awful. I literally achieved no work with them, and they were horrible to me personally. I managed to keep myself together and did the best that I could, but when the lesson finished I sat in the store cupboard and cried for 15 minutes.

To add to all this, I'm having problems with my relationship. On New Year's Day, my boyfriend told me that he doesn't love me and that he never will. He said that this is because he no longer has the capacity to love, claiming that he does not even love his family any more, however I highly doubt that this is the case. I suspect (due to several reasons) that he is in love with his first girlfriend, and can't love anyone else because he loves her, and is just waiting for the time to be right where he can live in the same area as her again and pick things up with her again. We are carrying on, as he hasn't said that he wants to end whatever it is that we have, but he just said that he suspects I will become more and more unhappy as time goes on and he is probably right. It is the most crushing, painful feeling. I can't walk away from him though as I love him so much, and sometimes he is the only thing keeping me going. He doesn't know what I suspect about his ex, and I have thought about telling him; I adore him and want him to be happy more than anything, and if that's what it will take then that's what I want for him, as much as it breaks my heart. I could be wrong though of course and am worried about his reaction.

Amongst all of this, I have fallen into a deep depression. Some days I cannot bring myself to work at all. Currently I am awake as I haven't planned my lessons for tomorrow. I came home, had a bubble bath and a whiskey to try and switch off from the events of today, ate dinner, then fell asleep and didn't wake up until 2:30. This sort of pattern is happening all of the time lately. I am trying to avoid anti-depressants, but it's getting to the point where I don't know if I can. I had been struggling with anxiety quite badly, having attacks, spells where I couldn't stop shaking and crying, a couple of times where I thought I might be having a nervous breakdown, however the anxiety seems to have subsided since my auntie's funeral 2 weeks ago. It's become more predominantly depression, an apathy that I'm not used to having; I don't care about my work, I don't want to speak to any of my friends or family. I cry all of the time and just want to take myself off somewhere to be alone and shut off from the world.

I feel so lost at the moment, I feel like a part of my identity has gone as I'm left thinking that teaching might not be for me after it being the only thing I have wanted for a long time. I don't really have any friends on the course, so that makes me feel even lonelier as I try to ask my coursemates for help with things and they usually don't respond. I think because I've been feeling so depressed I'm awful company at the end of the day so nobody wants to know me!

I don't really know what I'm hoping to achieve by posting this; I think part of me just needed to get it out, part of me is hoping that somebody here might say they can understand how I feel, or that somebody here can offer me some advice or support.

If you have read all of this, thank you so much for your time! So sorry to have bombarded the thread with this fat massively depressing post, haha! Hope that everyone here is having a much better time with their teacher training xxxxxx

There is no shame in taking some time out of the course. It seems like some time off to grieve, relax your brain and re-allign your routine could be very beneficial to you. I would advise you to speak to your tutor about this option.

ReputationRep:
    LIttle read, You sound just like me in my first placement. It made me ill, I am now a NQT and still struggling through. I had lot's off different reasons for my placement not going well. Mostly being in a school that had unattainable standards. First you need to decide if you really, really want to be a teacher.Go fishing online, look at other job roles. If you still feel teaching is the only role for you then stick with it. SO many people have had bad placements, I failed my first placement but ended my course getting a 'good' grade. My second placement was much better, you may just be in the wrong school. Keep going , it is bloody hard and so many people do not make it, but a lot do. You can do it, you would not have got this far if you did not have it in you. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question time! I am currently looking at an application form for a vacancy and have stumbled at the first block. It asks for two references to be filled out and the two headings it gives are: current/most recent employment, then recent employment/other.

It makes sense to me that they are asking for most recent employer, but I have frequently heard at uni that the two references we are most likely to use are our professional mentor and our university tutor.

My most recent employment was 7 years ago and a lot of the staff are no longer there, including my old manager... This leaves me wondering who would fill out the reference. Should I still be putting this job down as a reference? If I do then who would be my 2nd reference, my uni tutor or my professional mentor, or does it not matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Stupid question time! I am currently looking at an application form for a vacancy and have stumbled at the first block. It asks for two references to be filled out and the two headings it gives are: current/most recent employment, then recent employment/other.

It makes sense to me that they are asking for most recent employer, but I have frequently heard at uni that the two references we are most likely to use are our professional mentor and our university tutor.

My most recent employment was 7 years ago and a lot of the staff are no longer there, including my old manager... This leaves me wondering who would fill out the reference. Should I still be putting this job down as a reference? If I do then who would be my 2nd reference, my uni tutor or my professional mentor, or does it not matter?
    The job will be open to people currently in service, who would use their current workplace as a point of reference. You don't have that, so it'll be your university tutor and your current mentor, although your reference from them will go out under the name of the head of the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    The job will be open to people currently inservice, who would use their current workplace as a point of reference. You don't have that, so it'll be your university tutor and you current mentor, although your reference from them will go out under the name of the head of the school.

Thank you
    That is what I was hoping you would say. I just wanted to clarify before I filled it out incorrectly and it went straight in the 'to bin' pile lol.

p.s I remember my professional mentor saying (on our last meeting before my placement ended) feel free to use her as a reference, does that mean I won't need to contact her and ask for permission first?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    That is what I was hoping you would say. I just wanted to clarify before I filled it out incorrectly and it went straight in the 'to bin' pile lol.
    No, any job that is going to attract NQTs is going to have applicants with little to no work experience and they'll be expecting that.

ReputationRep:
    No, any job that is going to attract NQTs is going to have applicants with little to no work experience and they'll be expecting that.
    I think that is why it threw me. I have lots of work experience, but none of it is in a school I was all ready to put the two references I had heard we should use but had a sudden panic that I should be putting my previous employment.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is why it threw me. I have lots of work experience, but none of it is in a school I was all ready to put the two references I had heard we should use but had a sudden panic that I should be putting my previous employment.
    It's too far back to be relevant, but if it troubles you, you can contact the school and discuss it with them.

ReputationRep:
    It's too far back to be relevant, but if it troubles you, you can contact the school and discuss it with them.
    I left 7 years ago December just gone and haven't worked since. It was completely unrelated to teaching and had absolutely nothing to do with schools or kids.

I will stick with putting my university tutor and professional mentor

ReputationRep:
    I left 7 years ago December just gone and haven't worked since. It was completely unrelated to teaching and had absolutely nothing to do with schools or kids.

I will stick with putting my university tutor and professional mentor
    Those two will be much more use in determining how good a teacher you are. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Those two will be much more use in determining how good a teacher you are. Good luck.
    Thank you.

I don't feel at all ready to be applying for jobs! I have had a relatively easy first placement and my mentor was more concerned with becoming pregnant than she was about me, or anything else school related to be honest. This meant she just let me get on with things and was never really bothered where I was or what I was doing, as long as I turned up to teach her classes. This was great for me as it made for a fairly stress free placement.

The downside to this is that I feel quite unprepared to teach/mark/assess etc... I could have done with some feedback and guidance from her about how I was doing. Every time I asked I got the default answer of "you are doing fine, no issues at all" She wrote pretty much every observation 'retrospectively' and had me fill out all the paperwork leaving her just to sign it while marking books.

I am actually dreading the possible contrast of my 2nd placement.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

I don't feel at all ready to be applying for jobs! I have had a relatively easy first placement and my mentor was more concerned with becoming pregnant than she was about me, or anything else school related to be honest. This meant she just let me get on with things and was never really bothered where I was or what I was doing, as long as I turned up to teach her classes. This was great for me as it made for a fairly stress free placement.

The downside to this is that I feel quite unprepared to teach/mark/assess etc... I could have done with some feedback and guidance from her about how I was doing. Every time I asked I got the default answer of "you are doing fine, no issues at all" She wrote pretty much every observation 'retrospectively' and had me fill out all the paperwork leaving her just to sign it while marking books.

I am actually dreading the possible contrast of my 2nd placement.
    You'll have learned a lot from all that. You've been able to do the job how you will do it for real, and the kids will probably have thought of you as their real teacher, since she hasn't been around. You haven't been crushed by the unreasonable expectations of some schools. There's a lot to be said for your experience. If the next placement's hell, just remember that it'll soon be over and you'll be able to do the job like you did before when you've got your own classroom.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have learned a lot from all that. You've been able to do the job how you will do it for real, and the kids will probably have thought of you as their real teacher, since she hasn't been around. You haven't been crushed by the unreasonable expectations of some schools. There's a lot to be said for your experience. If the next placement's hell, just remember that it'll soon be over and you'll be able to do the job like you did before when you've got your own classroom.
    That is a great way to look at it.
    I am extremely grateful that I haven't had a school that has expected full detailed lesson plans 48hrs in advance etc. There is no way I would have had time to do them and would more than likely left the course. In fact I'm a little worried about keeping on top of everything when my timetable increases.

ReputationRep:
    This application form is horse ****!

I have no idea how to fill it out as a PGCE student! I have no prior teaching posts, I am not currently in employment. I have no 'in-service' education..

What am I suppose to put in these sections, or should I be leaving them blank?

I can fill out 'most recent employment' but it is pretty much asking for most recent teaching post as it asks about LA, NOR, etc etc

*Feeling Frustrated*

Edit - I have ploughed through it and hopefully I have done it correctly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.