Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redmel1621)
    Thank you.

I don't feel at all ready to be applying for jobs! I have had a relatively easy first placement and my mentor was more concerned with becoming pregnant than she was about me, or anything else school related to be honest. This meant she just let me get on with things and was never really bothered where I was or what I was doing, as long as I turned up to teach her classes. This was great for me as it made for a fairly stress free placement.

The downside to this is that I feel quite unprepared to teach/mark/assess etc... I could have done with some feedback and guidance from her about how I was doing. Every time I asked I got the default answer of "you are doing fine, no issues at all" She wrote pretty much every observation 'retrospectively' and had me fill out all the paperwork leaving her just to sign it while marking books.

I am actually dreading the possible contrast of my 2nd placement.
    I am in completely the same position as you! Although I am school direct so I am in the same school for the year (only leaving for 6 weeks in another school). My current mentor that is leaving very soon has the same attitude. She is very rarely in my lessons and only helps to the bare minimum, so I will be glad to experience another school as I may actually learn something! I have received very little support the last few weeks, it's hard to believe that someone with very little willingness to help has been given such an important role as a subject mentor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This application form is horse ****!

I have no idea how to fill it out as a PGCE student! I have no prior teaching posts, I am not currently in employment. I have no 'in-service' education..

What am I suppose to put in these sections, or should I be leaving them blank?

I can fill out 'most recent employment' but it is pretty much asking for most recent teaching post as it asks about LA, NOR, etc etc

*Feeling Frustrated*
    We've been told (and most applications I've read say) that you should be putting in your teaching placements in the employment bit. Obviously your main ones, but also observation placements where you did some TAing. Any odd days youve taught here and there for your uni subject courses (eg a day teaching phonucs). Plus any experience you had prior to getting into the course. If you're an NQT they will know you don't have extensive experience, but you should be well on the way to your 120 days by this point (I think on my course we're at 60-70ish) so that's a fair amount to include.

If I've misunderstood and this is an 'employment history' section that's separate from 'school placements', apologies! They've always been one and the same on my applications. In that case just emphasise in your statement that you're an NQT.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for those currently on PGCE courses from someone starting one in September: what do you do if you're ill? Does placement time allow for a few sick days or are you risking not getting your required contact time if you're off sick?

Only ask as I was doing a one on one session with a Year 11 at the school I'm volunteering at yesterday who was a bit snuffly. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but by 9pm last night I was freezing cold one minute, sweating buckets the next, dizzy, couldn't breathe through my nose, you get the picture. I've had to call in sick for work today as it's absolutely floored me. I very rarely get ill so this is something of a shock, and it got me thinking about what I would've done if I'd been on placement at the minute.

My primary teacher mother just handed me paracetamol and said 'Welcome to the club, give it five years in the job and you'll have the toughest immune system going'.

ReputationRep:
    You have to do 120 days in school to qualify for QTS. Our uni builds in 126 days to give you a buffer if you're sick during the course or for when you do interviews. If you go over those 6 days then you just make it up at the end of the course, tacking extra days on your final placement.

So the course/final placement officially ends on July 1st but you might have to make up extra weeks on the end.

It might differ by uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    We've been told (and most applications I've read say) that you should be putting in your teaching placements in the employment bit. Obviously your main ones, but also observation placements where you did some TAing. Any odd days youve taught here and there for your uni subject courses (eg a day teaching phonucs). Plus any experience you had prior to getting into the course. If you're an NQT they will know you don't have extensive experience, but you should be well on the way to your 120 days by this point (I think on my course we're at 60-70ish) so that's a fair amount to include.

If I've misunderstood and this is an 'employment history' section that's separate from 'school placements', apologies! They've always been one and the same on my applications. In that case just emphasise in your statement that you're an NQT.
    There is just an employment history section. I have added my skills and experience from placements in the skills and experience section.

I need to go over the person spec of the vacancy and check that I have covered everything before submitting it ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneBaratheon)
    Quick question for those currently on PGCE courses from someone starting one in September: what do you do if you're ill? Does placement time allow for a few sick days or are you risking not getting your required contact time if you're off sick?

Only ask as I was doing a one on one session with a Year 11 at the school I'm volunteering at yesterday who was a bit snuffly. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but by 9pm last night I was freezing cold one minute, sweating buckets the next, dizzy, couldn't breathe through my nose, you get the picture. I've had to call in sick for work today as it's absolutely floored me. I very rarely get ill so this is something of a shock, and it got me thinking about what I would've done if I'd been on placement at the minute.

My primary teacher mother just handed me paracetamol and said 'Welcome to the club, give it five years in the job and you'll have the toughest immune system going'.
    As JoannaMilano says: there are usually more than enough days built in to the courses. My uni schedules 126days so the 2 days I have had off will still leave me having completed enough days to pass. IF you are off for any length of time beyond that there will be time at the end to make it up 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneBaratheon)

I had to add five days to my course because I had so much time off (I had an operation). That's all that happens in a worst case scenario.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One more day til half term woohoo!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else struggling with the personal statement part of job applications? The content is coming easily, but it isn't flowing right. I just can't seem to form it appropriately to sound good... or is that just because I'm tired and trying too hard?

ReputationRep:
    Both!!! Take a look at examples from various subjects. It helped me a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a learning support assistant whom currently works regularly with many fantastic but stressed teachers i would like to take off my imaginary hat and say a big good luck and well done to all of you.

Teaching is probably one of the more difficult and more kinetic jobs out there, especially with political interference, (sometimes) apathetic parents and pupils that gave up on themselves a long time ago. Obviously this does not reflect education as a whole, but going up against those factors take some guts, so good on all of you for doing so and i would like to wish you all the best of luck through your PGCEs.

I would love to teach. The students i can deal with, but i doubt i'd have enough thick skin to survive constant inspections and micromanagement. The PGCE proves that you folks are professionals, it's about time the folks at the top of the ladder started treating you like professionals!

PS: This is a personal opinion from me F.Huskinson, not representative of the GreatApesLearn team!
    Best regards and best wishes and here's to the next generation of teachers!
    FH

ReputationRep:
    I have a job interview next week

I was so worried I wouldn't get one, even though the school I applied to is the one I'm doing my main placements in! Now I'm completely overthinking the clothes I should wear, and which class they will give me children from for my lesson demo...

ReputationRep:
    I am dreading going back on Monday I really, really don't want to; It is too hard to do this course with a family. I feel like crying right now.

ReputationRep:
    I am dreading going back on Monday I really, really don't want to; It is too hard to do this course with a family. I feel like crying right now.
    You've made it this far! You can do it! Don't give up now. Apparently it all gets easier after Easter anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hug

I know that feeling of dread. Keep reminding yourself that once you're there and doing it that feeling will be gone. And make sure you're taking time with your family and for yourself right now, it's the best thing for you and the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will suck it up and get through it. Hopefully I will be fine once I'm back in the classroom. It is the early mornings and late nights I am dreading, more than any other aspect of going back. I have heard that my 2nd placement school is very nice though. In a bit of a poverty stricken area and the kids can be challenging, but the staff are amazing - is what I've been told

ReputationRep:
    I will suck it up and get through it. Hopefully I will be fine once I'm back in the classroom. It is the early mornings and late nights I am dreading, more than any other aspect of going back. I have heard that my 2nd placement school is very nice though. In a bit of a poverty stricken area and the kids can be challenging, but the staff are amazing - is what I've been told
    Just wanted to offer words of solidarity. Nothing else I can offer, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Just wanted to offer words of solidarity. Nothing else I can offer, I'm afraid.
    Thank you.

My husband wasn't very helpful with his retorts of 'this is your life from now on' and 'at least you're doing what you want' etc...

He is currently stressed out with 3 assignments due in the next couple of weeks, so I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I am trying not to moan or say too much about my worries as he needs to get on with his own studies.

I think I'm just worried this is a sign that I don't want to teach, rather than just a sign that it is hard and stressful. I am also enjoying being off with my kids far too much and never want it to end... roll on summer holidays

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

My husband wasn't very helpful with his retorts of 'this is your life from now on' and 'at least you're doing what you want' etc...

He is currently stressed out with 3 assignments due in the next couple of weeks, so I'm sure he doesn't mean it. I am trying not to moan or say too much about my worries as he needs to get on with his own studies.

I am just worried this is a sign that I don't want to teach, rather than just a sign that it is hard and stressful. I am also enjoying being off with my kids far too much and never want it to end... roll on summer holidays
    It is hard to convey to non-teachers what the particular stress patterns are. I'm sure that's true of all jobs, but I can only comment on the one I know. My husband is also a teacher, so that helped a huge amount.

I don't know if it means you don't want to do it or not. I do know that doing my PGCE was one of the hardest years of my life, as was my NQT year. Things got easier after that, but the basic pattern is the same from year to year, and there's no real change in that. Teaching is a good job to combine with a family, though, and you need to take a long view of the pros and cons of always being off with your children in the holidays, which would not be the case with another kind of job. Only you can know how it works for you.

ReputationRep:
    Question for teachers: when did you get your first pay? The LAs I want to work in pay on the 22nd or the last day of the month: is that likely to be September or October?

I'm trying to work out how much I need to save for rent and deposits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.