Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    I could and should have done :sadnod:

But yeah, RAG week will see me actually do something...

Yeah, can't imagine it's fun counting all that money, especially the loose change
    Put it this way, if you come to the RAG office during RAG week you'll be able to find me for once

It's not so bad, I don't count the loose change as it is, I get people to bag them into small money bags and then I do all the rather tedious putting them into larger bags and recording how much we get before having it sent off to the bank.

You freshers did very well that day, so I'll be expecting more of you when RAG week arrives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's just the ones with holes in them. The closed ones are fine, though your feet do sweat like two little piggies. I own my own pair of crocs which I wear almost every day at the moment. Bought them as an FY1 in ortho when the entirety of the female theatre staff seemed to be under 5ft and have child-sized feet.

As for the relationship thing, I can't complain too much (though if you guys want some true emo-forever-alone misery, look at my posts from when I was in 2nd year!). My schoolfriends thankfully mostly avoided having babies for a while. What freaked me out completely was being on O&G placement when I saw several girls the same age as me (23 at the time) on pregnancy #4. :eek:
    Cool I'll go get some closed gap crocs then. I'm size 12/13 and size 8 seem to be the norm around here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Apparently, they usually decide your overall Bsc "score" on a role of 3:1 (Academics:interview) but this year they're changing it to 2:1. The 2:1 change will work in my favour I think but I'm still annoyed. The chances of me getting a Bsc with a ranking in the 9th decile is pretty slim I think. I was expecting to come out around the 5th decile based on my academic tutor's advice and speaking to people in different years.
    I think they did that for us. More weight was put on the interview opposed to just academics.

Hmm, well you should still apply regardless! It depends who you're competing with, that is if people in your year are actually applying. Also if you apply this year you can only go to QM, so if you're actually thinking of applying externally (after 3rd or 4th) then you can pull up your ranking this year (I think they only look at your ranking from the last academic year)

What one were you thinking of applying for?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabreT)
    Why do you have to do that?
    I have no idea! It's bloody irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, they usually decide your overall Bsc "score" on a role of 3:1 (Academics:interview) but this year they're changing it to 2:1. The 2:1 change will work in my favour I think but I'm still annoyed. The chances of me getting a Bsc with a ranking in the 9th decile is pretty slim I think. I was expecting to come out around the 5th decile based on my academic tutor's advice and speaking to people in different years.

Yeah, it's a pain for applying to BScs especially since originally I'd planned to apply to a semi-competetive one.
    Pain in the arse that.

For us only management and neuro seem competitive. As I want to do neither it isn't much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    I think they did that for us. More weight was put on the interview opposed to just academics.

Hmm, well you should still apply regardless! It depends who you're competing with, that is if people in your year are actually applying. Also if you apply this year you can only go to QM, so if you're actually thinking of applying externally (after 3rd or 4th) then you can pull up your ranking this year (I think they only look at your ranking from the last academic year)

What one were you thinking of applying for?
    They do an average of your past years academics. I just don't understand their logic of writing off the OSCE/Spotter exams despite banging on about how important they are and then putting paper A (which is universally known as a waste of time) on equal footing with our end of year exams. It's ludicrously stupid.

There's no chance in hell I'd be able to intercalate externally, I was doubtful I'd be able to with a ranking in the 5th decile, nevermind the 9th.

I was thinking of doing Med-Ed or infection/immunology. I have an SSC in Feb for Med-Ed so was going to see how interesting it was. Spoke to MedicineMan for a bit and I was put off slightly though.

ReputationRep:
    Had our introduction to our portfolios this afternoon. Wow i can not wait to get started on that. All those reflective pieces to write in the next 4.5 years. Oh the joy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Ooohhh yeaaaa

http://www.facebook.com/events/130136437098732/

How can anyone think about work after seeing that?
    Sooo....how do I get involved in this?

In other news, I hate occupational health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)

In other news, I hate occupational health.
    They always seem to be teling me off...

ReputationRep:
    I had some incompetent nurse literally talk half an hour to fill out an immunisation sheet with dates she had on her computer, to the point when she was getting confused about HbSAg and HbSAb I took it off her and did it myself. Then she started blaming me and my chosen elective country for taking too much time and 'being difficult' and that I wanted 'everything done' by asking for a DTP booster. Good grief.

ReputationRep:
    They do an average of your past years academics. I just don't understand their logic of writing off the OSCE/Spotter exams despite banging on about how important they are and then putting paper A (which is universally known as a waste of time) on equal footing with our end of year exams. It's ludicrously stupid.

There's no chance in hell I'd be able to intercalate externally, I was doubtful I'd be able to with a ranking in the 5th decile, nevermind the 9th.

I was thinking of doing Med-Ed or infection/immunology. I have an SSC in Feb for Med-Ed so was going to see how interesting it was. Spoke to MedicineMan for a bit and I was put off slightly though.
    :dontknow:

Well to be honest I don't think you would lose out in trying to apply anyways since you can still apply for internal ones at the same time.

From what I've heard from MedicineMan and other people who are on the MedEd course, it's pretty intense! Seems like they're constantly getting essays and they have an exam this week which apparently a majority of people fail :lolwut: But then again MedicineMan only talks to me when he wants to complain about his BSc :p:

I'm not sure how difficult infection and immunity is though.

ReputationRep:
    I had some incompetent nurse literally talk half an hour to fill out an immunisation sheet with dates she had on her computer, to the point when she was getting confused about HbSAg and HbSAb I took it off her and did it myself. Then she started blaming me and my chosen elective country for taking too much time and 'being difficult' and that I wanted 'everything done' by asking for a DTP booster. Good grief.
    Where are you off for your elective?

ReputationRep:
    This is BS. Last year we were told in four different lectures how our rankings would be calculated. Low and behold, it comes to the release of the rankings for use with intercalated degrees and they've changed it so that it's based so that our ICAs, PBL write ups, Medsoc (WHAT THE ****?) has an equal effect as our entire end of year written paper and that our anatomy end of year spotter and OSCE count for **** all.

THis has put my ranking through the floor as we were told time and time again that our paper A only counted for calculation of merits and not our over all ranking.
    That's incredibly irksome.

I thought you did a sub-I in the US for your elective?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    :ta:

If you fail then it's not an immediate problem. You have to meet an academic tutor to discuss why you failed and then it just makes it harder to pass paper A which you must pass in order to take the end of year exams

Looking at the stats it seems that about 18 people failed to get 50%. The lowest was one person getting 15% :erm:
    Don't they also get given a student from year 2 or above to tutor them in order to pass it next time? I seem to have seen rather a lot of emails asking people to volunteer to tutor...

Congrats on passing though!

Just suck up to the head of whatever course you want to do. Someone told me that they knew before we came to interview who they wanted... Tis a shame if they've suddenly moved the goalposts though. The Med Ed lot seem to do loads of reflective bull**** essays :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to this?

Medical Undergraduate Conference - Royal College Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow

http://www.rcpsg.ac.uk/Education/Eve...lSymposia.aspx

http://www.rcpsg.ac.uk/Education/Eve...rads%20pdf.pdf

I kinda want to go as I've never been to Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Anyone going to this?

Medical Undergraduate Conference - Royal College Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow

Going to glasgow just before Christmas - a shame that's on the 14th as I could have stayed with my friend up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    :party:

Day off tmrw. Thursday morning lectures cancelled. Half-day on Friday.

:woo:

Btw, any cocktail recommendations? I've only recently turned 18
    Mojitos or daiquiris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Going to glasgow just before Christmas - a shame that's on the 14th as I could have stayed with my friend up there
    Ah, when you going to Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, when you going to Glasgow?
    Lol 21st - 24th I think - then my friend is coming down from glasgow on new years (this is all very tentative haha).

You going back to HK?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to this?

Went to one by the Glasgow Evidence based medical soc last month, was at the RCPSG (it was on Academic Medicine). Enjoyed it very much! Going next year too.

The programme looks good, would have liked it if they had more cardiovascular seminars though. Hmm its in January, might end up going. Hate the drive though - takes five and a half hours to get to Glasgow from home

Are you presenting?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.