Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    Question for teachers: when did you get your first pay? The LAs I want to work in pay on the 22nd or the last day of the month: is that likely to be September or October?

I'm trying to work out how much I need to save for rent and deposits.
    You'll be employed from the first of September, so I would assume 22nd/30th of September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You'll be employed from the first of September, so I would assume 22nd/30th of September.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    But I'm not an employer!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if I am starting in July as an unqualified teacher then move to M1 scale when I am qualified (this is what the letter of offer said) - do I get paid for summer holiday as well?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kipikachuko88)
    Hi, just wondering if I am starting in July as an unqualified teacher then move to M1 scale when I am qualified (this is what the letter of offer said) - do I get paid for summer holiday as well?
    Thanks
    If you start in July then generally you do get paid for the summer holidays. But check for sure with your employer (it's not rude to ask - you need to know so you can plan ahead).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied for my first job today. It's a really good school in a popular area and the job was open to 'real' teachers as well as NQTs, so I doubt I'll even be shortlisted for interview, but it feels good to have finally tried!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for my first job today. It's a really good school in a popular area and the job was open to 'real' teachers as well as NQTs, so I doubt I'll even be shortlisted for interview, but it feels good to have finally tried!
    Don't assume that - the job is always open to "real teachers" (they can't say NQTs only), and a lot of schools may have a quiet (or rather obvious on some job ads) preference for an NQT in reality.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say this, but the cheapness of NQTs puts them at an advantage! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Don't assume that - the job is always open to "real teachers" (they can't say NQTs only), and a lot of schools may have a quiet (or rather obvious on some job ads) preference for an NQT in reality.

Good luck
    Interesting! It's an Outstanding school so I assumed they'd be reluctant to have NQTS coming in and being a bit rubbish at first. But fingers crossed

It's a really fast turn around between closing date/shortlist/interviews so I haven't got time to get too invested if they don't shortlist me. Which is nice. Still hoping though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I hate to say this, but the cheapness of NQTs puts them at an advantage! Good luck!
    I hadn't thought of it like that! My placement school before was full of NQTS or people not long from it which made me suspicious. But this is a nice school so I assume they're not stingy! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought of it like that! My placement school before was full of NQTS or people not long from it which made me suspicious. But this is a nice school so I assume they're not stingy! Haha.
    Don't assume anything. All schools are stingy...

ReputationRep:
    I'd be wary of applying anywhere with lots of NQTs. If they make up the majority (+50%) of teachers it implies a high staff turn over and you've got to ask yourself why that is...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyRain)
    I'd be wary of applying anywhere with lots of NQTs. If they make up the majority (+50%) of teachers it implies a high staff turn over and you've got to ask yourself why that is...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is very good advice.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree. As well as they "why don't they stay?" problem, I want a school where I can learn as much as possible. While it's nice to have other NQTs to bond with over the stresses, when no one at your school has been there (or in teaching as a whole) more than 5 years it's hard to find great practice to learn from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree. As well as they "why don't they stay?" problem, I want a school where I can learn as much as possible. While it's nice to have other NQTs to bond with over the stresses, when no one at your school has been there (or in teaching as a whole) more than 5 years it's hard to find great practice to learn from.
    I have exactly this issue in my department. I'm an NQT with another NQT and a part-timer in my department and it's a very stressful and terrifying existence without anyone here to just say "You're doing fine. You've hit all your deadlines. There's absolutely nothing that you've possibly forgotten to do" as at the moment I'm terrified I've missed something every single day.

I have the added bonus of not having schemes of work already written for me or lesson advice or general guidance. I literally live day to day just hoping I don't screw up childrens' lives.

Make sure you have at least one other person in your department with an idea what is going on. If you can get somebody who is also working in your subject then that is even better!

ReputationRep:
    I got offered a job today!

That's all I wanted to say, I'm very excited. Although I have to say, it's quite reassuring that there is going to be an RQT there while I'm an NQT, and the rest are all more experienced. Means I have different viewpoints to get help from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    I got offered a job today!

That's all I wanted to say, I'm very excited. Although I have to say, it's quite reassuring that there is going to be an RQT there while I'm an NQT, and the rest are all more experienced. Means I have different viewpoints to get help from.
    Congratulations!!!

ReputationRep:
    First year education studies student year - wanting to be a primary school teacher so will be doing my pgce soon too, i hope. I just wanted to ask - how is it like doing the PGCE? With all the planning, marking and assignments - how do you organise your time? And how do you get stuff done? In first year at the moment and I'm absolutely rubbish with organising my time - i still end up doing assignments 2/3 days before - which is beyond stupid i know.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    First year education studies student year - wanting to be a primary school teacher so will be doing my pgce soon too, i hope. I just wanted to ask - how is it like doing the PGCE? With all the planning, marking and assignments - how do you organise your time? And how do you get stuff done? In first year at the moment and I'm absolutely rubbish with organising my time - i still end up doing assignments 2/3 days before - which is beyond stupid i know.'
    I am organised. As soon as I have time to do something, I start doing it. I don't procrastinate, I don't tell myself it will only take 10 minutes. I start it, do a good job and finish it as soon as possible. That way, I can have some time to relax and not have to worry about all the things I have to do!

However, I have always been like this. From the word go, I always did homework and assignments as soon as I could. It's a habit that has remained with me forever, and I understand that not everyone has this. However, I have friends also on the PGCE who are struggling because they, like you, leave assignments until a few days before they are due. And it really isn't doing them any favours!

I still get time to relax and enjoy my hobbies. But only because I am proactive and organised. I advise you to get into good habits now, and force yourself into them until it is ingrained. Because the PGCE is a lot of hard work, and you'll struggle afterwards as well if you aren't well prepared for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    I am organised. As soon as I have time to do something, I start doing it. I don't procrastinate, I don't tell myself it will only take 10 minutes. I start it, do a good job and finish it as soon as possible. That way, I can have some time to relax and not have to worry about all the things I have to do!

However, I have always been like this. From the word go, I always did homework and assignments as soon as I could. It's a habit that has remained with me forever, and I understand that not everyone has this. However, I have friends also on the PGCE who are struggling because they, like you, leave assignments until a few days before they are due. And it really isn't doing them any favours!

I still get time to relax and enjoy my hobbies. But only because I am proactive and organised. I advise you to get into good habits now, and force yourself into them until it is ingrained. Because the PGCE is a lot of hard work, and you'll struggle afterwards as well if you aren't well prepared for it.
    That's really good advice. Trouble is its a bit hectic at home - and i find it difficult to concentrate. Will be changing the environment i work in around - maybe do all my work at uni - so at home i can relax.. hmm thank you for your response!!! Good luck xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.