Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    "My contract with Bayern runs until 2015 but it is very important that I play first-team football to keep getting called up for Brazil. I am in a very delicate situation at Bayern and this needs sorting out. I have personal and professional reasons to move," he said on arrival in Basel for Brazil's friendly against Switzerland. "I have heard about the Arsenal interest. It's a big club we're talking about here so of course I'd like to play for them."

Gustavo has also reportedly been targeted by the 2009 Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg, while Napoli are also interested, but it is a move to the Emirates that really catches his eye. "Arsenal play a very attractive brand of football and are in the Champions League. They also have a very clever manager in Arsène Wenger. Even when Bayern beat them in the last Champions League [on aggregate] you could see they are not pushovers.

(Sauce http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-bayern-munich)

Get it done Wenger!
    Off topic, do you guys spell 'source' sauce intentionally? I've seen a couple of posters in this thread spell it that way.

On topic, these quotes are so encouraging but we still have to take it with a pinch of salt. Knowing us, no deal is a deal until it's signed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Off topic, do you guys spell 'source' sauce intentionally? I've seen a couple of posters in this thread spell it that way.

On topic, these quotes are so encouraging but we still have to take it with a pinch of salt. Knowing us, no deal is a deal until it's signed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes,

Sauce=source

Gustavo would be such a good signing. He's a rock and he can play!

Just thinking about it, Man city got Fernandinho for £30M, we're getting a younger and argueably better player for 17M!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Yes,

Sauce=source

Gustavo would be such a good signing. He's a rock and he can play!

Just thinking about it, Man city got Fernandinho for £30M, we're getting a younger and argueably better player for 17M!
    £34m*

Everyone knows Fernandinho was a waste of money. 28 and £34m. Basically rating him like a Zidane if you're paying that much for someone so late in his career.

Before I get attacked. If he's so good, why has he only got a handful of caps for Brazil. The master technicians of the passing game?

ReputationRep:
    No ****ing way am I getting excited until he signs the deal and it's announced officially. Too many times has it not gone the way we hoped for...

ReputationRep:
    You have to ask why Arsenal make a bid for him while he's on duty with Brazil. Surely that delays the whole process and allows others to enter for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    £34m*

Everyone knows Fernandinho was a waste of money. 28 and £34m. Basically rating him like a Zidane if you're paying that much for someone so late in his career.

Before I get attacked. If he's so good, why has he only got a handful of caps for Brazil. The master technicians of the passing game?
    It was 30m - he waved his bonus to join City.

He played in the Ukrainian league, this is purely the reason he has hardly appeared for Brazil - he's a quality, quality player - better than Ramires, Paulinho etc but just wasn't playing in a top league, thus not getting the exposure needed. Picture the situation we have in England with players like Welbeck, who was utter ****e last season, getting picked over a player like Lambert, purely because of the team he plays for.

Yes, 30m was too much, but Shaktar don't need money hence the inflated fee. Most people are criminally underrating Fernandinho, just because they haven't seen much of him and assuming that he's a terrible buy because of the large price tag. He'll be one the best players in the PL this season, mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    Chamakhs gone now, feel a little disappointed for him tbh. Hope he does good for crystal palace but still end up relegated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie9872)

He played in the Ukrainian league, this is purely the reason he has hardly appeared for Brazil - he's a quality, quality player - better than Ramires, Paulinho etc but just wasn't playing in a top league, thus not getting the exposure needed. Picture the situation we have in England with players like Welbeck, who was utter ****e last season, getting picked over a player like Lambert, purely because of the team he plays for.

Yes, 30m was too much, but Shaktar don't need money hence the inflated fee. Most people are criminally underrating Fernandinho, just because they haven't seen much of him and assuming that he's a terrible buy because of the large price tag. He'll be one the best players in the PL this season, mark my words.
    meh, all the pundits are basing this on him playing in some poor European league and a few champions league games. He'll have to step up his fitness to cut it in the premier league. I think he'll flop.

ReputationRep:

Yeah Robinho was a "quality, quality player" before he came here. It's gonna be the same with Fernandinho. Wannabe Ronaldinho, that's what he is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Chamakhs gone now, feel a little disappointed for him tbh. Hope he does good for crystal palace but still end up relegated.
    I like Ian Holloway tbh. His interviews are spicy and certainly worth watching. I'd much rather Steve Bruce and Hull go down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Robinho was a "quality, quality player" before he came here. It's gonna be the same with Fernandinho. Wannabe Ronaldinho, that's what he is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Robinho was a statement buy, Fernandinho is completely practical and adds versatility to the midfield.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...s-luiz-gustavo

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8867960/bayern-munich-midfielder-luiz-gustavo-interested-in-arsenal-move

Apart from the whole Yaya Sanogo thing,Correct me if I'm wrong... This is the first time Sky sports news have actually broadcasted something serious about an Arsenal transfer on the telly, so I believe it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    You have to ask why Arsenal make a bid for him while he's on duty with Brazil. Surely that delays the whole process and allows others to enter for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Better to bid now than later. Better he makes Arsenal an option before he makes a decision to go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I like Ian Holloway tbh. His interviews are spicy and certainly worth watching. I'd much rather Steve Bruce and Hull go down.
    His interviews are hilarious. Honest, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    His interviews are hilarious. Honest, too.
    Yeah true. He will speak what he thinks, be it praise or criticism. And that in itself is something different and refreshing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Robinho was a statement buy, Fernandinho is completely practical and adds versatility to the midfield.
    We'll see, but I'm not too sure about him. I'm not too sure about any of City's signings tbh. They'll take at least a year to really get going in the PL I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We'll see, but I'm not too sure about him. I'm not too sure about any of City's signings tbh. They'll take at least a year to really get going in the PL I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see why you think that. You haven't watched any of them properly and you just want to dismiss all of them :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    I don't see why you think that. You haven't watched any of them properly and you just want to dismiss all of them :lol:
    Yeah, Negredo looks ready to go to me...

I've always been unsure of Navas. He's got pace and he's a really good player but... I think he'll take a bit of time to adapt, personality and physicality-wise. He had real problems leaving Spain and I think, even if he's improved enough to change club, that it'll be a difficult settling-in period for him.

Negredo, though. Ooft. Strong lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    Yeah, Negredo looks ready to go to me...

I've always been unsure of Navas. He's got pace and he's a really good player but... I think he'll take a bit of time to adapt, personality and physicality-wise. He had real problems leaving Spain and I think, even if he's improved enough to change club, that it'll be a difficult settling-in period for him.

Negredo, though. Ooft. Strong lad.
    Yeah I dunno where that guy is getting the idea they will all take forever to bed in.

Negredo has power and he has lots of it haha strugged Koscielny and Martinez off for his two goals.

Navas I think will need a few games to find his feet but once he does I think he will really do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Yeah I dunno where that guy is getting the idea they will all take forever to bed in.

Negredo has power and he has lots of it haha strugged Koscielny and Martinez off for his two goals.

Navas I think will need a few games to find his feet but once he does I think he will really do well.
    We'll see. I really thought City would buy some serious players this summer but I have my doubts with three in particular. I do agree that Negredo could be the best of the lot. The others, they'll struggle I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.