Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    That's really good advice. Trouble is its a bit hectic at home - and i find it difficult to concentrate. Will be changing the environment i work in around - maybe do all my work at uni - so at home i can relax.. hmm thank you for your response!!! Good luck xxx
    Hectic environments are part and parcel of becoming a teacher. Maybe once you have settled into the habit of working, make sure you can do it anywhere - schools are busy, and there will always be something else to do, and someone who wants something!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    Hectic environments are part and parcel of becoming a teacher. Maybe once you have settled into the habit of working, make sure you can do it anywhere - schools are busy, and there will always be something else to do, and someone who wants something!
    I didn't think about that, thanks for letting me know! teaching is all about being adaptable to change, but what i mean by hectic that is no place to actually sit and do my work. I don't really know how i managed to revise for gcses and a levels, ever since i've started to uni - i do everything last minute. Thanks for your advice, how long on average do you spend on planning on lessons??? there's so much to take into consideration whilst being a teacher and you have to make sure each child has actually learned and understood what you've set out to teach. Have you ever been given a really bad comment from your tutors who come to observe you, and if they did, how did you improve on it?

ReputationRep:
    I got offered a job today!

That's all I wanted to say, I'm very excited. Although I have to say, it's quite reassuring that there is going to be an RQT there while I'm an NQT, and the rest are all more experienced. Means I have different viewpoints to get help from.
    Congratulations😊
    I've got an interview on Thursday, absolutely dreading it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1239)
    Congratulations😊
    I've got an interview on Thursday, absolutely dreading it.
    Well done on getting an interview, it's so stressful filling in those application forms that I was almost tempted to give up! What have you got to do for your interview? I had a 30 minute lesson and a formal interview.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think about that, thanks for letting me know! teaching is all about being adaptable to change, but what i mean by hectic that is no place to actually sit and do my work. I don't really know how i managed to revise for gcses and a levels, ever since i've started to uni - i do everything last minute. Thanks for your advice, how long on average do you spend on planning on lessons??? there's so much to take into consideration whilst being a teacher and you have to make sure each child has actually learned and understood what you've set out to teach. Have you ever been given a really bad comment from your tutors who come to observe you, and if they did, how did you improve on it?
    Trust me, the ability to work without a "proper" place to sit is definitely a bonus!

Planning used to take me ages, but it doesn't really take me very long at all any more. At the moment, it's taking me an hour to plan a week of maths lessons, and probably 15 minutes for individual lessons like topic and science lessons. Takes me no time at all to plan French! So really, it depends on the lesson. What takes me the most time is finding or making appropriate resources, since they have to be tailored to the children in the class.

None of my observations have really gone that badly. I've had a few dud lessons, but thankfully I've had brilliant tutors and mentors so far, and they always give me a chance to reflect on what I could do better. When they give me their opinion, it always comes with advice to improve or change something, and has never been harsh or unfair. They're the sort of people you want to be training with!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, the ability to work without a "proper" place to sit is definitely a bonus!

Planning used to take me ages, but it doesn't really take me very long at all any more. At the moment, it's taking me an hour to plan a week of maths lessons, and probably 15 minutes for individual lessons like topic and science lessons. Takes me no time at all to plan French! So really, it depends on the lesson. What takes me the most time is finding or making appropriate resources, since they have to be tailored to the children in the class.

None of my observations have really gone that badly. I've had a few dud lessons, but thankfully I've had brilliant tutors and mentors so far, and they always give me a chance to reflect on what I could do better. When they give me their opinion, it always comes with advice to improve or change something, and has never been harsh or unfair. They're the sort of people you want to be training with!
    That sounds promising, in lectures i looked at a lesson plan from a student who is on the PGCE course right now - he's or she's lesson plan for a science lesson was four pages long and in a lot of detail. Kind of scared me a bit - because I will be planning 20-25 lessons a week and that would result me in 50 page long documents :/ lol
    Aww that is brilliant! You must be a really good teacher - i've already recieved criticisms on my voice from my tutor - I have been told it's too soft LOL. I am able to project it when needed. But yeah. I just hope once I graduate, I gain abit more confidence and sort my time management.

ReputationRep:
    First year education studies student year - wanting to be a primary school teacher so will be doing my pgce soon too, i hope. I just wanted to ask - how is it like doing the PGCE? With all the planning, marking and assignments - how do you organise your time? And how do you get stuff done? In first year at the moment and I'm absolutely rubbish with organising my time - i still end up doing assignments 2/3 days before - which is beyond stupid i know.'
    To be honest, I haven't found the PGCE anywhere as near as crazy as people told me it would be. When at uni, there's not a huge amount of work to be doing tbh.
    We have all our essay titles and deadlines well in advance so theoretically you could have them done really early. For example, our second essay we were given planning tips on December 17th and the essay was due January 11th.

Placement is more stressful but still manageable. You'll basically be putting your life on hold on weekdays while you're on placement, but I have never done an all-nighter or not had at least a day free at the weekend.

I'm scatty as, and I'm coping. If you can keep on top of deadlines, you'd be fine.

As for observations, I've never heard of anyone on my course being criticised unfairly. Unfortunately sometimes people really aren't cut out for teaching* and it's unavoidable that they are going to be expected to shape up quickly on such a short course as PGCE. Even then the tutors have never been unfair or unkind afaik. I've always had very helpful, positive feedback from my tutors and so have my friends (and that's not because we're all amazing haha).

* I don't mean in terms of skills or knowledge, but there are definitely one or two people I know who just cannot get over their nerves in the classroom and it just makes them miserable and the class not make progress).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoannaMilano)
    To be honest, I haven't found the PGCE anywhere as near as crazy as people told me it would be. When at uni, there's not a huge amount of work to be doing tbh.
    We have all our essay titles and deadlines well in advance so theoretically you could have them done really early. For example, our second essay we were given planning tips on December 17th and the essay was due January 11th.

Placement is more stressful but still manageable. You'll basically be putting your life on hold on weekdays while you're on placement, but I have never done an all-nighter or not had at least a day free at the weekend.

I'm scatty as, and I'm coping. If you can keep on top of deadlines, you'd be fine.

As for observations, I've never heard of anyone on my course being criticised unfairly. Unfortunately sometimes people really aren't cut out for teaching* and it's unavoidable that they are going to be expected to shape up quickly on such a short course as PGCE. Even then the tutors have never been unfair or unkind afaik. I've always had very helpful, positive feedback from my tutors and so have my friends (and that's not because we're all amazing haha).

* I don't mean in terms of skills or knowledge, but there are definitely one or two people I know who just cannot get over their nerves in the classroom and it just makes them miserable and the class not make progress).
    Thank you for your detailed answer i wish you the best of luck with the rest of your course. And I guess everyone is different and they might be suited to other job roles. I'm glad you're finding it not as stressful as others put it out to be. And being a teacher is a full-time job, even in your sleep you must be planning lessons to meet specific needs of the children you teach! LOL. i'm happy to hear that your tutors are supportive too - i guess that's what you need to help you through the hard work x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your detailed answer i wish you the best of luck with the rest of your course. And I guess everyone is different and they might be suited to other job roles. I'm glad you're finding it not as stressful as others put it out to be. And being a teacher is a full-time job, even in your sleep you must be planning lessons to meet specific needs of the children you teach! LOL. i'm happy to hear that your tutors are supportive too - i guess that's what you need to help you through the hard work x
    I'm definitely not saying that the PGCE is a walk in the park: it's an intense year for sure! It's just that before my course I felt like I was reading everywhere about how it's inevitable that you'll basically spend the whole year stressed as anything and it's the toughest thing you'll ever do and you'll cry on the regular. I'm sure some people do feel that and I'm by no means trying to disparage them at all, but for me it's been challenging, hard at times but overwhelmingly enjoyable.

Teaching is definitely a stressful career though. Even the teachers who love their jobs have said that to me, so it's not just those who are burned out who struggle. I'm definitely expecting NQT year to be a lot more stressful, when you're actually accountable for progress and tracking and myriad other things!

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not saying that the PGCE is a walk in the park: it's an intense year for sure! It's just that before my course I felt like I was reading everywhere about how it's inevitable that you'll basically spend the whole year stressed as anything and it's the toughest thing you'll ever do and you'll cry on the regular. I'm sure some people do feel that and I'm by no means trying to disparage them at all, but for me it's been challenging, hard at times but overwhelmingly enjoyable.

Teaching is definitely a stressful career though. Even the teachers who love their jobs have said that to me, so it's not just those who are burned out who struggle. I'm definitely expecting NQT year to be a lot more stressful, when you're actually accountable for progress and tracking and myriad other things!
    Not expecting it to be walk in the park - must be challenging. Hmm i see - this has definitely reassured me

ReputationRep:
    Well done on getting an interview, it's so stressful filling in those application forms that I was almost tempted to give up! What have you got to do for your interview? I had a 30 minute lesson and a formal interview.
    The application forms are so long. 30 minutes a lesson and then an interview.

ReputationRep:

I think how stressful one finds the pgce is largely determined by placement schools, so I wouldn't worry if other people find them less stressful. I had some really good schools with amazing mentors. Other stories I heard were hell, and even at my last placement which I loved, another girl there with a different mentor had SO much pressure put on her and I don't think I'd have lasted. So everyone has different experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm being too picky with jobs :| There haven't been many in my area but I decided against applying to a couple that did come up, one because another person on my course has her placement there and absolutely loathes it (from her description the department sounds like a nightmare I wanted to avoid) and another as it has a terrible local reputation.

I know it's fairly early days still but cant help panicking a little that after all this I'll just be unemployed... should I be less picky or hold out a bit longer??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_box)
    I think I'm being too picky with jobs :| There haven't been many in my area but I decided against applying to a couple that did come up, one because another person on my course has her placement there and absolutely loathes it (from her description the department sounds like a nightmare I wanted to avoid) and another as it has a terrible local reputation.

I know it's fairly early days still but cant help panicking a little that after all this I'll just be unemployed... should I be less picky or hold out a bit longer??
    It up to you. I held out and applied to only three that I really liked and they were all fairly late in the year. The third was my perfect job in a perfect location and I'm glad I held out for it.

ReputationRep:

I've been told over and over again that the majority of jobs come out at the May half term and in the weeks after, because that is the last deadline for teachers to hand in their notice for September. If my placement school hadn't had a position going, and wanted me to apply for it, I wouldn't have bothered applying at all at the moment. I didn't want the stress of job applications and interviews, and I still wouldn't now. There's plenty to be getting on with, what with planning, marking, assignments and everything else to be done! I reckon there is no harm in waiting until May and going for jobs then, don't panic. As soon as something you like the look of comes up, you can apply, but until then, it's OK

ReputationRep:

Wait for the right one. I thought I'd never ever get a job, so I applied for loads at the same time, went to the first one to get back to me with an interview and accepted it. Looking back, I could have spared myself a 50 mile round commute and a bunch of feral kids if I'd had more faith in myself. I didn't clock onto the fact that I was actually more of a catch than I thought for five long years...

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same situation. There aren't that many jobs at the moment but I don't want to apply for just anything. If I don't feel happy about the reputation of the school or the distance or anything else I wouldn't even bother applying. You wouldn't go out with a person you weren't sure about soooo i think the same applies with jobs :-) ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It really is early days. Jobs only started coming out in high numbers around Easter for me. I was majorly (/too) picky. I applied for pretty much every job I saw, got an interview for all apart from about two, but backed out of pretty much every single one because I'd always end up thinking of something that made me change my mind (and the fact I was majorly unsure about teaching as a career didn't help). I only attended three interviews in total, and one of those was for a support job, not teaching. Ended up getting my job in June and now that I think about it, I declined that interview at first too because I was on holiday! I was pretty much ready to do supply in September.

Don't worry at all yet though. Once the jobs start flowing there will be loads in decent schools where you'll probably see the job ad and think, "yes, that's exactly the type of school I've imagined working in".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    PGCE is difficult but it can be made easier by a good mentor in a good school. As long as you keep on top of your work and stay organised it is definitley manageable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I second what everyone else has said - you need to be in the right school who will support you and match with your ethos.

That doesn't mean it has to be 100% perfect -no school is. Neither does it mean it has to be easy (a challenge can be scary but also helpful... My NQT was in a tough behaviour school and that was always a big challenge for me but I learnt and progressed so much from it). But if you've heard bad things or get a feeling that it doesn't suit you, trust your instinct.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.