Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I like Ian Holloway tbh. His interviews are spicy and certainly worth watching. I'd much rather Steve Bruce and Hull go down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeh I agree with you on that but still don't like crystal palace. Hull is just depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    yeh I agree with you on that but still don't like crystal palace. Hull is just depressing.
    haha I think i probably speak for the majority when i was disappointed to see Hull come up. I don't know if it's the name or the fact or it's another club Steve Bruce is in charge of. Hope they go straight back down as i imagine it will be route one type football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Yeah Robinho was a "quality, quality player" before he came here. It's gonna be the same with Fernandinho. Wannabe Ronaldinho, that's what he is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fernandinho doesn't even have the same role as ronaldinho.

ReputationRep:
    Gustavo>Fernandinho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Gustavo>Fernandinho.
    until gustavo signs for napoli in which case gustavo=fernandinho=****

ima right?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen what Chamakh's fee was? Like to know a figure but can't find much.

ReputationRep:
    a bit annoyed wenger has left is so late, considering he did it so early last yeear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Think we paid them to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    until gustavo signs for napoli in which case gustavo=fernandinho=****

ima right?
    No.

Gustavo is far more established than him. Played in a competitive top European league as opposed to a one team premier division in Eastern Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Think we paid them to have.
    Haha, trying the same with Bendtner but even then no takers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    No idea, but I'd not be at all surprised if we found out that he's taken a wage cut, that Arsenal are helping to subsidise that wage cut, and that the fee is in instalments over a long period of time.

Getting him off the books was a priority, but also just being fair to the player. He needed to go before he spent the best part of his career not playing football. Him leaving was the best for all parties involved. I personally really hope he gets on well at Crystal Palace. He's not really mouthed off or done anything other than be pretty professional. It just didn't work out at Arsenal, and that's going to happen sometimes - we're a very big club, with big expectations and short breaking in periods. Not everyone will be a success, and we've seen that. Going to a smaller club with less expectation might be the opportunity he needs to find a home and score some goals again.

ReputationRep:
    Chamakh must be gutted. Had London's best shisha cafes just round the corner on Edgware Road, doubt Croydon's got many...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has told L'Equipe that Yoann Gourcuff would be prepared to accept a pay cut in order to seal a switch to Arsenal. He also claims that Bafetimbi Gomis could pen a new deal in France after seeing a proposed move to Newcastle break down."

Haven't really heard much about a move for Gourcuff. He's a good player, from what I've read, but I don't know him very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    "Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has told L'Equipe that Yoann Gourcuff would be prepared to accept a pay cut in order to seal a switch to Arsenal. He also claims that Bafetimbi Gomis could pen a new deal in France after seeing a proposed move to Newcastle break down."

Haven't really heard much about a move for Gourcuff. He's a good player, from what I've read, but I don't know him very well.
    Ahh the perennial Gourcuff to Arsenal rumour... It just wouldn't be a transfer window if he wasn't linked with us:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    More sloppy journalism/making **** up

Headline: "Yoann Gourcuff will lower wage demands for Arsenal move"

Actual quote: "All that I know, if I understood correctly, is that he was ready to lower his salary to go to Arsenal."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Ahh the perennial Gourcuff to Arsenal rumour... It just wouldn't be a transfer window if he wasn't linked with us:rolleyes:
    He was linked a bit earlier in the window too... ^^

Don't see that one happening. Not sure we need 2 new midfielders, do we? Although I'm still very keen to see someone come in to offer Santi a bit of competition and rotation. That wee lad is going to be tired... and if he gets injured, Arsenal are in serious trouble.

ReputationRep:
    He was linked a bit earlier in the window too... ^^

Don't see that one happening. Not sure we need 2 new midfielders, do we? Although I'm still very keen to see someone come in to offer Santi a bit of competition and rotation. That wee lad is going to be tired... and if he gets injured, Arsenal are in serious trouble.
    Two very different midfielders. Gourcuff is more like Nasri (or was before 2010) and Gustavo more like Song/Diaby, a ball winner sitting in front of defence and tracking back.

Anyway, doesn't say we're in for him. Him wanting to move to Arsenal and us wanting him are two very different things. Lyon will probably want to recoup a lot of the £22m they paid three years ago. Fact is he isn't the same player. I haven't followed him but he hasn't managed more than 15 league appearances a season since joining Lyon - injuries? Last thing we need is another injury prone player.

ReputationRep:

Do we need another CAM? Cazorla/Rosicky/Wilshere are all top notch so hard to understand if we do. Can Gourcuff play on the wing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Do we need another CAM? Cazorla/Rosicky/Wilshere are all top notch so hard to understand if we do. Can Gourcuff play on the wing?
    Gotta agree with this, the simple answer is we don't!

Gustavo seems a more needed player, and maybe an out of sorts winger would be a good addition too (seeing Ramsey in that role last year was borderline depressing!)

Guess it depends on how big a role the Ox will have this year (which I hope is a big one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I personally don't like Wilshere sitting in that advanced a role. I think he does better from deep. He's very industrious, ballwinning and magic at stepping out of the midfield in to attack. Just now I don't think he has the goals/mentality to be a creative centre of midfield (and don't get me wrong, I think Wilshere is the best player we have).

Rosicky/Cazorla are the two we have there. I am just concerned with Rosicky's fitness. If he's fit all season, I'm happy, because I think Rosicky is an absolutely brilliant player. However, he's been in and out with injuries so much that it's hard to bank on him... similar to how I think we didn't go in to the market last year on the basis of Diaby, who then was injured most of the season and left us a little short, squad wise.

Like noone29 said, he's more of a Nasri. He can play wide, but not with natural width. I really see him more as a central player. He'd be a good signing, and I hope we go in for him. He's 27, experienced international and still, I think, hungry to prove himself at a bigger (CL) level. Although the comments in the media about a paycut etc. aren't really indicative of anything at all happening. Anyway...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.