Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizzard1)
    name them?
    Welbeck is much better at holding up the ball. Better at pressuring defences off the ball and winning the ball back in the final third because of it. Considerably better in the air both defensively and offensively, is generally a better tackler overall, and has a better workrate overall.

I wouldnt say there is much between them in terms of normal non-creative passing ability. Neither are amazing at it.

Welbeck is technically better at keeping the ball in tight situations, but Sturridge is technically better at getting the ball past others.

Sturridge is a better finisher which is clear.

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him, but is better at it in the box.. as general movement, drop of the shoulders etc, in my mind is better than strength when you need to pop a shot or pass off.

There isn't much of a pace difference but Sturridge is also better when running with the ball with purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Welbeck is much better at holding up the ball. Better at pressuring defences off the ball and winning the ball back in the final third because of it. Considerably better in the air both defensively and offensively, is generally a better tackler overall, and has a better workrate overall.

I wouldnt say there is much between them in terms of normal non-creative passing ability. Neither are amazing at it.

Welbeck is technically better at keeping the ball in tight situations, but Sturridge is technically better at getting the ball past others.

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him.

There isn't much of a pace difference but Sturridge is also better when running with the ball with purpose.
    Fair post that highlights bother player's assets.

ReputationRep:
    That Jake Livermore has played for England and Kevin Nolan hasn't is truly tragic.

ReputationRep:

I reckon he is also probably a better creator of goals too, but it's hard to tell when they both haven't spent a massive amount of time in the same positions to compare. He isn't as good as Welbeck at general linking up across the pitch, generally because he can't keep the ball as well as him, but is better at it in the box.. as general movement, drop of the shoulders etc, in my mind is better than strength when you need to pop a shot or pass off.

I'd say that sturridge is pretty good at passing ability, for liverpool and even for chelsea when he does pick a pass, he can do 30-40 yard long passes fairly easily even on the volley.

Although I agree with what you say. But tbh clearly we need a finisher more than welbeck. He's better in offering things in attack than defoe e.g., has the finishing ability so deserves a place over welbeck.

ReputationRep:
    Its official, this monstrosity is the worst kit England will ever played with. Nike are utterly useless. At least the Umbro kits had a bit a definition and class

Name:  England's Next Kit.png
Views: 115
Size:  376.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Its official, this monstrosity is the worst kit England will ever played with. Nike are utterly useless. At least the Umbro kits had a bit a definition and class

I think I had one of those when I was 2, minus the Nike tick.

ReputationRep:

It's a Germany kit :rofl2:

What were they thinking!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its does look like a goddamn German kit, the blue is clearly too dark and there is no red.

ReputationRep:
    lol does look German were my first thoughts. It's better than those horrid umbro kits. Hopefully you'll have a Red away kit again.

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen the goalkeeper kit and it sickened me, its the bog standard generic Nike goalkeeper kit they hand out to the **** teams they don't bother designing kits for with an England logo on it.

ReputationRep:

Looks like a USA kit.

Don't like it.

Should have put the badge in gold as well to celebrate the 150th anniversary.

ReputationRep:
    Ox is still crap, Johnson is still crap, Lampard still loses the ball all the time, our CBs have got noticeably worse since Terry and Rio are no more, Defoe is lazy as **** and makes no attempt at getting on the end of crosses, didnt really expect much else.

ReputationRep:
    Ox is still crap, Johnson is still crap, Lampard still loses the ball all the time, our CBs have got noticeably worse since Terry and Rio are no more, Defoe is lazy as **** and makes no attempt at getting on the end of crosses, didnt really expect much else.
    I like how you didn't criticise any United players, Rooney in particular :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    To be honest, that post seemed pretty reasonable. Thought Ox was at least halfway decent outside of his penalty area touches and not shutting down Coleman for the goal, but that's a good chunk of his game.

ReputationRep:
    I know right. Sturridge, Hart, Cole, Baines, Milner, Walcott, Foster. Thats a lot of United players right there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Carrick was the best England player on the pitch. Rooney was the best offensive player for us, by a distance, and Jones was multiple times better than Johnson when he came on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loat)
    To be honest, that post seemed pretty reasonable. Thought Ox was at least halfway decent outside of his penalty area touches and not shutting down Coleman for the goal, but that's a good chunk of his game.
    Rooney and Carrick didn't do anything of significance either. Think it's unfair to criticise individual players, it was just a typical lethargic England performance.

ReputationRep:
    I know right. Sturridge, Hart, Cole, Baines, Milner, Walcott, Foster. Thats a lot of United players right there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Carrick was the best England player on the pitch. Rooney was the best offensive player for us, by a distance, and Jones was multiple times better than Johnson when he came on.
    Walcott looked much more dangerous, Rooney had a few good touches but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Walcott looked much more dangerous, Rooney had a few good touches but that's about it.
    Nah, not at all really.

Rooney created multiple chances that others messed up, was spreading play pretty decently. Walcott had a few good moments but generally just lost the ball all the time tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot Rooney was playing halfway through.

Formation was all wrong, whatever Hodgson says about 'knowing 8 of his starting 11' for the World Cup is wrong, he can't, especially if his choices the last 6 months have been anything to go by! Welbeck, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young playing every game despite being probably the worst performing players at that time.

ReputationRep:
    We should be beating Ireland at home.

But that's Hodgson for you.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.