Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some lectures tomorrow won't be happening... after that bus ride yesterday I'm not sure I really want to risk it either :afraid:

Aww Jay :love:

Thanks Ali :jumphug::crossedf: he gets it though

ReputationRep:
      Good night guys

(Original post by fallen angel9)
        That's a relief because I need to go to the campus tomorrow. The book that I've recalled have just come in. :awesome:
        Haha awesome. It should be ok so long as some heavy snow doesn't come down tonight :sad:

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
        Some lectures tomorrow won't be happening... after that bus ride yesterday I'm not sure I really want to risk it either :afraid:
        Bus was ok today I was a bit scared when I got on :erm:

Some will be cancelled. At least 1 of 2 of mine will be. Doubt they'll tell you anytime soon though...

(Original post by JayAyy)
          Good night guys
          :hugs: night

ReputationRep:
          Full day of essay writing tomorrow followed by a 6-10.00 shift. :sigh: I don't think I can bare the Xmas music much longer at work. :no:

ReputationRep:
          Full day of essay writing tomorrow followed by a 6-10.00 shift. :sigh: I don't think I can bare the Xmas music much longer at work. :no:
          There's a long way to go yet :console:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by A_master)
          There's a long way to go yet :console:
          :cry2:

ReputationRep:
          oh dear, your complaining about Xmas music at work when some people don't have jobs. so arrogant its unbelievable.

:facepalm: she wasn't complaining about the work. Just the music played there.

You've become a right **** since abandoning your main account. Whats the need for it?

:rolleyes:

I want to start playing my guitar again but unsure where to start. Pol, Ali, Max do you have any advice?

I'll send y'all some links soon

ReputationRep:
                :console: I know how it feels, this is my 4th christmas there and I'm still not used to it. I hope to block it out one day, it's really terrible christmas music. Ooh, Canterbury stays open longer than I thought. I thought it was one of those close at 6pm towns. :beard:

(Original post by Loz17)
                :rolleyes:

I want to start playing my guitar again but unsure where to start. Pol, Ali, Max do you have any advice?
                Pick it up, silly. :rolleyes:

:thrasher:

(Original post by Loz17)
                  You've become a right **** since abandoning your main account. Whats the need for it?
                  It's true, dawg. :sadnod:

In other news, how phaggy can a guy get?

ReputationRep:
                  (Original post by + polarity -)
                  It's true, dawg. :sadnod:

In other news, how phaggy can a guy get?
                  These guys are gay as ****. All 'roided up 'n ****.

Cheers Pol

CP I have :p: I'm just tuning it :P

ReputationRep:
                    Jealous? :smug:

(Original post by Loz17)
                    Cheers Pol

CP I have :p: I'm just tuning it :P
                    Aye, I played a guitar like once. :jiggy:

ikr?

zyzz's progress was crazy, but it's pretty clear he's a juicehead, to quote Snooki.

ReputationRep:
                      (Original post by Crazy Paving)
                      Jealous? :smug:
                      I'm ripped naturally anyways. No need to juice :sogood:

(Original post by + polarity -)
                      ikr?

zyzz's progress was crazy, but it's pretty clear he's a juicehead, to quote Snooki.
                      Innit, juicing is like getting fake tits. Lame doe :ahee:

(Original post by Loz17)
                        !
                        :ahee:

Well... where do I start? I've come across plenty of sites that look useful at first, as I've been scouring the internet but I haven't gone through any of them in great detail (because I don't have my guitar D: ) but I'll send you a few.

www.ultimate-guitar.com - Great for tabs, if you just want to be able to play a particular song. I think you can tell if a song is too hard for you because your progress will be *really* slow. There are also lessons on here about how to do various things with the guitar that look really informative, but you may find that you learn better from instructional videos like this, like Max. Justin also has a website that Ali recommended to me: www.justinguitar.com

http://www.cyberfret.com/theory/index.php - This looked useful when I first found it because it explains scales and chords (and presumably arpeggios), and if you can learn these you can work out different songs (kind of like when I'm playing the bass and I make a mistake then it sounds like a song I know, then I work out the rest lol)

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php - Might come in handy, if you don't have a proper chord book, or if you just want to learn some chords (I'd start with a few major and minor)

http://guitar.about.com/ - I've seen this recommended on here before, and it seems to cover all the basics

http://www.jemsite.com/blog/learn-guitar-songs-faster/ - I liked the tips on this site :yep:

http://shredguitarschool.com/ - This website made me lol, but I haven't looked at any of the content. It may or may not be useful to you.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/guitar-progressions/ - I don't even know what progressions are, but I was watching this black guy played the bass and he kept talking about chord progressions, so I guess they're important.

Tips

If you're trying to learn a specific song, and you're having trouble working out where to put your fingers, it might help to watch a cover because it will give you ideas. :yes:

You might want to read up on different tunings, because a downtuned string can make things easier (e.g. some RATM and A7x songs I've tried use Drop D), and some bands use an entirely different tuning like Drop C (which is D tuning [e.g. Extreme Unction] with a downtuned bottom (deepest) string [e.g. Disturbed, any song by The Faceless]). Some forums I've seen like to **** people off for trying out different tunings before they know all the theory and stuff for standard tuning, but haters gonna hate

The bass website I've been using keeps saying 'Don't become a slave to tabs' - it's better if you know the notes you're playing (you can learn the notes of the frets quite easily) but I cbb to do that really. I'll work it out if I need to. :hand:

That's everything I can think of!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
                      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
                      Useful resources
                      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
                    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
                      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.