Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Can anyone tell me which accommodation they think would be best for me please?
    I'm trying to choose between Beaumont and GMS.... I want an en suite .....I would prefer to be self catered but is self catered significantly less sociable? I really want to be somewhere with a nice atmosphere where people go out frequently and is really sociable?... Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So I went to the Uni and have given my application for Accom. I decided to put GMS Self Catered Premium Ensuite, and second I put Opal Court Premium Ensuite. I hope I get Bowder Court tbh, it is the best accom ive seen at Oadby after JoFo, I did put JoFo down like 3rd or something. If I get Bowder Court id be happy, does anyone know what I can do if I don't get the accomodation I want? For example, GMS is so big and has so many blocks, what if I dont get the one I want ? Btw to all people asking about opal court, it is quality! It doesnt get promoted much because its not part of the uni accomodation but there are so many freshers there as well as international students and hte rooms are much nicer! plus if u have lectures at 9am, it wont be a hassle to get to the uni as its only a 2 min walk away. I know all this from my gf staying at opal court in her freshers and shes had no problems whatsoever. But its up to you really Now its time for results!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey . I'm just looking at accommodation for Leicester. Unfortunately I didn't have time to see it on the open day and I'm a bit worried about leaving till after the next open day! From this it looks like Beaumont is the place to be? I don't think I can afford an en suite but would at least like a washbasin! Where's the best place for a premium single? Not catered! Also, how many people in each flat etc? Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to choose the wrong one!! Thanks 

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilywoop)
    Physiotherapy. Although I'll be living and be taught at Leicester, I'm actually a Coventry student . Its a bit weird, but its better than living in Coventry
    What about you? I think i might ring up as well, as I havnt actually heard from Leicester yet, only Coventry
    Hi, sorry to comments on such an old post but I've been trawling the threads trying to find someone doing the same course as me!! I haven't been able to firm yet because not all my unis have got back to me but I definitely want Leicester! what accommodation did you choose? I don't know what's best for physio at all! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm an international student and am trying to pick an accommodation. Having a hard time because I don't get to visit them. I am planning to go for self-catered premium ensuite. Most probably GMS because I heard it's more sociable? But I'm not too sure whether it will be worth it to pay so much extra for my own shower. Haha. I see a lot of people saying that JoFo is more expensive, does that mean that the price for premium ensuite in GMS differs from that of JoFo's?

If say I go for a single room, normally how many people shares a bathroom? Really hope that you all can give me some advices =)

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can tell, the prices are the same.
    Here's a link to accommodation fees. JoFo, GMS and Beaumont and Digby are all under the Oadby student village umbrella so I don't see why it would be more expensive.

When I was in a single room, the bathroom was shared between 5 people, but I was in Mary Gee and not the main student village so take that as you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    I know I definately want to be self catered, i'm a fussy eater, and i want the experience of cooking and budgeting
    Hello, having been at the university for four years I can honestly say that you will get enough experience of cooking and budgeting after the first year when you move in to a shared house! Go catered, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    where do most of the freshers stay?

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed alot of people have been saying JoFo is quite expenisve but on the fees list it says under oadby student village that all the prices for the differnet types of room but not for the differnet accomodations sites e.g. Digby, GMS and JoFo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megatron94)
    I have noticed alot of people have been saying JoFo is quite expenisve but on the fees list it says under oadby student village that all the prices for the differnet types of room but not for the differnet accomodations sites e.g. Digby, GMS and JoFo.
    This is a very sneaky trick from the University. I thought exactly the same last year. It is all to do with room types. The majority of rooms in Jofo are Premium ensuite/flat which makes them more expensive. You can get cheaper rooms but they are few and far between. So look at the room type and only apply for the type of room you are willing to pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Just received my offer of accommodation! will be in Beaumont next year Block 5, First Floor, Room 14, ensuite, catered!
    I'm sooo excited!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year atm living in mary gee (don't apply for it). If you have any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    Just doing my accomodation now.

Put premium-ensuite at GMS first. Then Beaumont Premium and standard single. Now I'm stumped for choices.

Really want a social hall and don't care if it's ensuite or not. Must be self-catered though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethwalton)
    Just received my offer of accommodation! will be in Beaumont next year Block 5, First Floor, Room 14, ensuite, catered!
    I'm sooo excited!
    Are you a unconditional offer holder at Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethwalton)
    I'm sooo excited!
    hey! i'm in beaumont too block 1 though, first floor room 15!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm a current first year staying in John Fosters so if you need any info i'm happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zander16)
    Hey, i'm a current first year staying in John Fosters so if you need any info i'm happy to help
    Hi! What type of room are you in at John Foster? And how much does it cost? Does it differ from other halls in Oadby?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    To a certain extent it doesn't matter where you live during your first year at University, student halls for first years are designed to be sociable and make your first year as comfortable as possible. It's a place where you'll meet fantastic people and enjoy yourself more than you ever imagined. The University groups people together based on questions you answer when applying for accomodation, you aren't just dropped anywhere by chance.
    I lived in Digby about three years ago, I was upset at first because my first choice was John Foster. However, my first year at Digby was without doubt the best year of my life, it may look grim from the outside but it has so many hidden beauties. I also applied for self-catered but ended up in catered halls. It was a great experience and fantastic way to make friends by walking to dinner with your block, the dinning hall is also a sociable place and even though some of the food might not be that great, on the whole it's a lot better than anything you're going to rustle up yourself, especially if you need to get ready for the night out ahead. You also have small kitchens in your blocks, so there is still room for cooking if you wish. Brunch at the weekends is amazing!
    Don't worry too much about where you end up living, as long as you make the effort it will be difficult not to make friendships that last a lifetime and memories that are impossible to forget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrhNzrZ)
    Hi! What type of room are you in at John Foster? And how much does it cost? Does it differ from other halls in Oadby?
    Firstly i'm in a premium plus ensuite, catered was like my fifth choice or something but its partly to do with your interests and partly to do with your course. There are 6 people on my course in the same block as me with at least 2 people doing the same course in each block, as far as i can work out anyway.

It is quite expensive, i think mine is about 5,400 but that changes from year to year due to previous expenses. Of course you are paying for a newer block, so thats expected.

From what i can work out, John Fosters is set out into blocks where each of the floor is an enclosed flat with 4 or 5 rooms and a kitchen/living area. The main difference from the other two main blocks is that the other two are on long corridors with many rooms coming off them while JoFo is single flats with rooms. There are many other singular buildings part of All three main blocks and some seperate which range from small cottages for a few people to a large purpose build such as the coppice. People say that John Fosters is less sociable than the other blocks. I completely disagree, i believe its who you live with espcially as we regularly (2 to 3 times a week) have "gatherings" exceeding 15 people. You WILL become good friends with some people in your block and will spend almost all of your time wandering between flats and doors are almost continually propped open so people come and go pretty much when they please.

The idea of JoFo is to provide a more individual living experience opposed to the more traditional hallways. To be honest i really just wanted a bathroom of my own so that i didnt have to throw up with someone next to me after a night out, but thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megatron94)
    Are you a unconditional offer holder at Leicester?
    Yes I have an unconditional offer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.