The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 Exam - Tues 11'th January 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by anonymous_angel_16
s**t! i wrote about trapped air but then i crossed it out and wrote a whole load of nonsense! instead, i wrote about how the bottom part is dead so it cant transport air therefore we cut off the dead part aggh :angry:

Yeah I put the same load of nonsense. I feel so stupid now reading what everyone else has put :frown:
s**t! i wrote about trapped air but then i crossed it out and wrote a whole load of nonsense! instead, i wrote about how the bottom part is dead so it cant transport air therefore we cut off the dead part aggh :angry:

xylem elements are always dead though?
Reply 762
I HATED THIS EXAM HOW CAN NOTHING COME UP ON THE HEART AND I THOROUGHLY REVISED IT AND WAS EXPECTING IT TO COME :frown: I feel like this is an exam I'm going to have to retake
Original post by Silly Goose
I was not pleased with that paper. It's as if OCR designed the paper to specifically target the weak points in my revision. <_<

lol, same here! I concentrated mainly on the heart and lungs and not at all on plants :frown:
Original post by CullenLoverX
xylem elements are always dead though?

yeah, i realised that after the exam lol
i just was't thinking straight
i really think i did bad :frown:
Reply 765
Original post by DonFahad
Erm, well, it was alright tbh. There were a lot of sneaky/disguised questions, and I just plain didn't know the facts in some. My teacher's predictions were absolute spot on though, she said unlikely to be anything on heart, lymph, or vessels. As well as saying that plant transport would feature heavily (it was 14/60 marks, more than anything else), and telling us exactly the answer to the 'why would you cut the end of the stem off'. I however, didn't know properly the answer to the last part of qu1 (diff between animals and plant cell division - i just scribbled something about meristems and bone marrow or something), and I was slightly unsure on a few others. Hopefully full UMS, but I dunno. Wbu, how did the tutor do :tongue:?

also, about the answers, has noone managed to get a copy of the exam paper and post the answers here?

Haha tutor! :tongue: Erm yeah similar response to yours i guess.. i found the paper relatively ok but just that question on some bunch of flowers which god knows what i wrote.. all wrong.. and that question on "how to construct a graph" i mean im just sat there staring at the question.. so vague! I was so confused and had nothing to write i wrote draw line of best fit.. but crossed it out 'cos thats just pushing it! :tongue: .. yeah i wrote meristem cells and that cell division happens by forming a cell plate in equator region or something..

Nope not heard of anyone yet.. would be good if someone does though. How would someone get hold of the paper though?
Original post by thesalamander123

No, let's settle this, it was definitely a bronchiole, the order goes:
Trachea
Bronchi
Bronchioles
Alveoli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchiole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronchus

It can't be bronchiole because the alveoli weren't relative in size if it were a bronchiole!
Reply 767
Original post by Rassam
It can't be bronchiole because the alveoli weren't relative in size if it were a bronchiole!

But a bronchiole is what is attached to the alveoli right? This is so confusing!
Original post by CullenLoverX
LOL at everyone getting worked up about 2 mark questions.

to all the newbies, welcome to TSR :rolleyes:

Location Slough, you blates go to Slough Grammar
lol, same here! I concentrated mainly on the heart and lungs and not at all on plants :frown:

Same I spent SOOOOOOOO long on the phloem and it was all about the xylem
Ah, I mucked up that question about the cutting the stem -> into water. Waffled on about how a constant supply of water is needed, so if no water's getting in, cells die (something like that, can't remember). Totally forgot about air bubbles and having to have a continuous water column up the xylem ):<
on the one about transpiration in water transport what did people put.

oh and the last one about accuracy and reliability
Reply 772
Original post by DonFahad
Soz mate, you've got it wrong. My biology teacher (must be the best in the country, predicted absolutely everything right on the paper, one of the questions word-for-word), said the following;

One mark for plain diffusion/osmosis through the cell membrane, as water molecules are very small. However, the second mark, will be for mentioning channel proteins, as water molecules, however small, are actually charged, and so a channel protein lets through molecules that are charged. Remember that the Phosphate heads are actually hydrophobic, and that there is a chance that a water molecule could hit that and be repelled. As a result, there are channel proteins that open for water molecules to leave.

The apoplast and symplast pathways are irrelevant to the cell surface membrane. They are relevant to how water, taken in at the roots, reaches the xylem cells.

As it happens, I only got the first mark, but think about it, they cannot expect you to explain the apoplastic and symplastic pathways, as well as an explanation of diffusion in two lines and two marks. Even if you somehow managed to fit it in, it is irrelevant because nowhere in the question does it mention that. It mentions cell surface membrane, ie, the plasma membrane, not the symplastic and apoplastic pathways, which go through a number of cells, membranes and plasmodesmata.

Just gave you a rep! You made me feel so relieved! I think you should do alot more talking!! :biggrin::smile:
magnification 4500x?
Neutrophil question?
alveoli answer was Bronchi wasnt it?

accuracy and reliability question?
for the accuracy i wrote let someone else look at the number of plasmolysed cells.
For the reliabilty i said repeat 3 times and take an average to be able to identify anomolous results
Original post by MiriiJungle
Ahh this is such a huge thread, and my PC is realllyyy slow! So I was wondering what everyone answered for the "how transcription helps water movement up the plant" and "neutrophils" questions.

Cheers guys!

you mean translocation? or transpiration? XD transcription is to do with dna :wink:
i think you mean the transpiration one, i put about the water potential gradient going down at the leaves because of the stomata constantly evaporation water into the outside environment creating the constant transpiration pull of water molecules from the soil, up through the roots, through the xylem and into the leaves.
(well basically, i think i put something else but icr!)
and then with the neutrophils i said about them having lysosomes for when they engulf foreign substances, as they fuse with the plasma membrane so they can digest them. and then i said that the glycoproteins on the plasma membrane work with cell recognition and cell signalling. the carbohydrate chains on the glycoproteins work as receptors to detect the target cell.
(again, can't remember it full, something along those lines XD)
Reply 775
Original post by pastpaper-guy
magnification 4500x?
Neutrophil question?
alveoli answer was Bronchi wasnt it?

accuracy and reliability question?
for the accuracy i wrote let someone else look at the number of plasmolysed cells.
For the reliabilty i said repeat 3 times and take an average to be able to identify anomolous results

I agree with magnification.
Neutrophil: stuff about granular cytoplasm (lots of enzymes), got lots of lysosomes, able to bend membrane to engulf etc.

But for bronchus and bronchiole debate look at this image

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://medicalimages.allrefer.com/large/lungs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://health.allrefer.com/health/asthma-lungs.html&usg=__5TXIytZeL4h182uCpt5x2fgtYAE=&h=320&w=400&sz=19&hl=en&start=20&zoom=1&tbnid=5vte2MUbZEEYeM:&tbnh=159&tbnw=199&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dalveoli%2Bin%2Bthe%2Blungs%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D677%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:10,400&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=157&vpy=288&dur=537&hovh=179&hovw=224&tx=161&ty=119&ei=RMMsTYesK9-qhAfKzNiJCQ&oei=F8MsTbjFM4GGhQei7dyTCg&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:20&biw=1024&bih=677
Original post by Laura5494
I made up a bunch of rubbish for this question :/

Pun intended?
Reply 777
WHAT ABOUT the question that went something like;

'why do those flowers whose stems have been cut just before before they are put into water grow better' or something

wtffffffffffffffffffff! :angry:
Original post by OwenFerny

Original post by OwenFerny

So like, why the hell was there nothing on the heart or anything!? That is so frutrating. I really prepared for that lol.

Anyone else seem to run out of time and go on a mad rush at the end, JUST finishing? (I hope)

completely agree
Original post by taunt

Original post by taunt
OMG thankyou
ur a life saver

gud luck for exam tomorow lol:biggrin:

aww no problem glad it helped, wish it came up though!! :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending