Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Society VIII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Consecutive clean sheets

ReputationRep:
    Hope the boys learn from city tonight and don't forget cits performance to soon because they'll need to produce a city perfomance in one of the match agaist that team from spain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    They bought De Jong, Barry, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure...all defensive players. Their 'star buys' have been around building a solid defence, not all-out attack.

Two of their three best attacking players (Silva and Balotelli, with Tevez being the third) were unfit. City were away from home, playing against an Arsenal team which loves to punish teams on the counter-attack, and had lots of star attackers unfit...and you are wondering why they didn't attack more? Really?
    Toure attacks more, he has scored quite a few, Milner is meant to attack too, Jo is a striker and they started Tevez. They paid alot for those four too. Today Mancini just made everyone defend, and if their defence is so good why would they worry about getting hit on the counter. Surely they should have started Johnson

ReputationRep:
    Disappointed by City's tactics tonight, but entirely understandable.

We were incredibly unlucky not to win that.

I won't defend Sagna's actions, but it should only have been a yellow, and nothing at all for Zabaleta.

Best players on the pitch were Song, Djourou and Yaya imo.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else just hear Alan Hansen? what an advert for the league when city park the bus? :facepalm2: pundits these days

ReputationRep:
    Can't understand why Zabaleta was sent off for being on the recieving end of one of the campest headbutts I've seen in years.

ReputationRep:
    How can an attempted headbutt be a yellow? If an Arsenal player was on the receiving end and only a yellow was given there'd be approx. 100k new threads started about it, and a petition sent to Downing St.

ReputationRep:
    Well the key is this starting line-up.

----------------Fabianski--------------

Sagna--Djourou--Koscielny--Clichy

-------Wilshere--Song--Cesc--------

Walcott-------Van Persie-------Nasri

It has played 3 times and got deserved (comfortable) wins against Chelsea and Birmingham and were unlucky not to win tonight. The performance has been the same -- working very hard off the ball and Nasri, Cesc, Van Persie linking up to open up the opposition.

It's an improved team from the one that played our crunch games in Febrary/March of last year. We'll see if they can stay fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    x
    Good call. :yy:

Dunno how we didn't actually score, tbh though.

ReputationRep:
    You deserved to win that based on hitting the post twice, crossbar once and having a (possible) penalty turned down. But you had more than enough of the play to score a couple and weren't clinical enough. Barring the save from RVP's long range shot I can't remember a difficult save Hart had to make.

Completely understood why City parked the bus and I don't think you can criticise them for it.

Imo Sagna and Zabaleta deserved yellows each. Going by the rules of the game Sagna should have been off and Zab shouldn't. Bit irrelevant really though considering how late it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Good call. :yy:

Dunno how we didn't actually score, tbh though.
    It wasn't really. I didn't think you'd create that many clear cut chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    You deserved to win that based on hitting the post twice, crossbar once and having a (possible) penalty turned down. But you had more than enough of the play to score a couple and weren't clinical enough. Barring the save from RVP's long range shot I can't remember a difficult save Hart had to make.

Completely understood why City parked the bus and I don't think you can criticise them for it.
    Hart made a good save from Wilshere in the first half too, but maybe that was more poor finishing. I agree that players could've done better on a few occasions but sometimes you've just gotta put it down to it not being your day. I know at this stage it's about results but the performance was encouraging enough.

We needed an impact from someone off the bench. Chamakh, Bendtner and Arshavin were poor. Arshavin at least had 'stats' on his side. And although he does have one of the highest numbers of 'assists' this season, he is just a fat ******* that thinks he's better than he is.

Imo Sagna and Zabaleta deserved yellows each. Going by the rules of the game Sagna should have been off and Zab shouldn't. Bit irrelevant really though considering how late it was.
    Sagna deserved the red. Yes, 15 years ago, that wasn't a red because it was just handbags, but going by the letter of the law, Sagna can't do that. Silly from him. Zabaleta did nothing wrong from what I could see.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely started off a few chants tonight and touched the match ball!
    We were so unlucky!
    I want to see that Walcott penalty chance and the sending off's again.

Song was immense!!

ReputationRep:
    I think both reds should be downgraded to yellow... but they won't be, because Sagna drove his face at Zabaleta and Zabaleta started it/took a swing at Sagna. It was retarded, but still.

City will fall away, they'll draw too many games. They've been lucky in more games than just tonight, thinking of both their games with Blackpool.

We have some good cup games that we should win, and then we also have some very winnable league games. United still have more 'big' fixtures than us... but if they go much longer without defeat, they might go invincible....

We need to stay in this touching distance, hope United drop a few points in their Spurs/Chelsea/Pool grudge games and then we can have it in our own hands to try and beat them in the run-in.

I remain optimistic. City... don't worry me at all, they'll be 3/4 by the close of play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Hart made a good save from Wilshere in the first half too, but maybe that was more poor finishing. I agree that players could've done better on a few occasions but sometimes you've just gotta put it down to it not being your day. I know at this stage it's about results but the performance was encouraging enough.

We needed an impact from someone off the bench. Chamakh, Bendtner and Arshavin were poor. Arshavin at least had 'stats' on his side. And although he does have one of the highest numbers of 'assists' this season, he is just a fat ******* that thinks he's better than he is.

Sagna deserved the red. Yes, 15 years ago, that wasn't a red because it was just handbags, but going by the letter of the law, Sagna can't do that. Silly from him. Zabaleta did nothing wrong from what I could see.
    I suppose, you seemed to run out of ideas later in the second half though. Walcott looked very dangerous and shouldn't have come off, impact is all well and good but it shouldn't come from taking one of your best players off. Still, it did seem a bit like one of those nights were you just wouldn't score, I got that feeling after the first 20mins went without a goal after all that domination.

If I was in charge of the rules Sagna would have got a yellow and maybe Zab as well (he was a **** stepping towards him while he was on the floor). But yes with the rules as they are Sagna's was a definite red.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    They bought De Jong, Barry, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure...all defensive players. Their 'star buys' have been around building a solid defence, not all-out attack.

Two of their three best attacking players (Silva and Balotelli, with Tevez being the third) were unfit. City were away from home, playing against an Arsenal team which loves to punish teams on the counter-attack, and had lots of star attackers unfit...and you are wondering why they didn't attack more? Really?
    When you buy De Jong, Barry and Toure you don't need to have 6 more players defending. We did well to close City down but they didn't even try and counter attack. Johnson should have played instead of the hopeless Jo, even SWP would have been a far better outlet. Instead it was one of the biggest bus parks i've seen against Arsenal, even the weaker teams that home come to the Emirates have had a go at our suspect defence and succeeded.

ReputationRep:
    So disappointing, the team played well and deserved a win. Yeah that is probably the worst bit of bus parking i've seen and they were very lucky to get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppasloth)
    It wasn't really. I didn't think you'd create that many clear cut chances.
    Meh, I guess. I knew we'd dominate and make the chances, just thought we'd be more clinical. I did underestimate your defence, they did well to really slow the tempo after about 15mins, when a goal for us looked somewhat inevitable and also worked well to push us back rather than just block us off. Like you say though, they were hardly immaculate and there was a number of times where we probably should have scored.

Thought it was another sub-par performance from the officials, though, the ref had no control of the game. Disgustingly clear handball in the first half should have meant a pen for us. Only saw the Sagna getting wiped out part of the incident, not the headbutt, so I can't really judge, sounds like it was a red. It looked to me as if Kompany ran 20yards across to the incident and had his hand round Sagna's neck, yet he didn't even get a talking to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Well the key is this starting line-up.

----------------Fabianski--------------

Sagna--Djourou--Koscielny--Clichy

-------Wilshere--Song--Cesc--------

Walcott-------Van Persie-------Nasri

It has played 3 times and got deserved (comfortable) wins against Chelsea and Birmingham and were unlucky not to win tonight. The performance has been the same -- working very hard off the ball and Nasri, Cesc, Van Persie linking up to open up the opposition.

It's an improved team from the one that played our crunch games in Febrary/March of last year. We'll see if they can stay fit.
    That's definitely our first team and hopefully the team that will be fit to face Barca in Feb. We shouldn't be too hard on ourselves, it was an incredible game I thought tbh, we tore the defence apart entirely, we just couldn't put the finishing touches. City couldn't handle our football at all, I think we're reaching the stage where we're very close to being the finished product now, truly outstanding display. We just need to be slightly more ruthless and decisive in the final third.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    How can an attempted headbutt be a yellow? If an Arsenal player was on the receiving end and only a yellow was given there'd be approx. 100k new threads started about it, and a petition sent to Downing St.
    :toofunny:

Spot on.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.