Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys, i am thinking of applying for a medicine degree at Nottingham. Anyway, a lot of people say that the degree is boring and very difficult. i just wanted to know whehter that true or not. Also what work experiences, including Voluntary hospital work, would i need in order to strenghten my application, and give me an insight? :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    They're soooooooo far away :sad: plus with enough medicine, to be learnt between now and then, to emotionally castrate a small pony. *sigh*
    I know :bawling:

Then again time flies here :erm:

...why a pony? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    By that argument, the government should stop funding all these fashion management and media studies students... They all do 4 years at uni for nothing.
    Well, I suppose the idea is they will get jobs and bolster the economy, which is beneficial for the government.

(Original post by Renal)
    In a sense, £12k of fees is pissing in the wind when it comes to the cost of the degree.
    Quite, which makes it seem even more insensate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Well, I suppose the idea is they will get jobs and bolster the economy, which is beneficial for the government.
    Sorry, but media studies graduates get jobs?! :eek:

The fees thing came up in conversation at lunch (cos everyone's trying to figure out if SAAS will pay for them to intercalate). Needless to say, I have not yet found a single scottish person who has any inkling that they should contribute to the cost of their education. Most of them die of shock once they realise quite how much english student debt amounts to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DstarRaW)
    Hi there guys, i am thinking of applying for a medicine degree at Nottingham. Anyway, a lot of people say that the degree is boring and very difficult. i just wanted to know whehter that true or not. Also what work experiences, including Voluntary hospital work, would i need in order to strenghten my application, and give me an insight? :-)
    I suggest you post on the main forum. As for your questions: 'Difficult' is vague, I don't think the pre-clin concepts are overly difficult (but not necessarily easy, either), but in terms of the large amount of information to take in, that could be perceived as difficult. Clin wise you're looking at very long hours and even more in foundation years. Voluntary work would help you find out for yourself whether it's something you want to go ahead with. IMO you should do these things because you want to, and not 'for your application'.

Sorry, but media studies graduates get jobs?! :eek:
    Lots of jobs just ask for a 'degree' these days.

The fees thing came up in conversation at lunch (cos everyone's trying to figure out if SAAS will pay for them to intercalate). Needless to say, I have not yet found a single scottish person who has any inkling that they should contribute to the cost of their education. Most of them die of shock once they realise quite how much english student debt amounts to.
    Yes, okay that's fair enough but the point I'm getting at is that the government are spending a lot of money on med students (more than most courses) and are denying them jobs, it seems silly that they increased the med student quota (at least in England) but apparently have not proportionally done so with the number of positions for doctors. Yes, it is expensive, but one would've thought they'd take that into account when taking in more med students in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, okay that's fair enough but the point I'm getting at is that the government are spending a lot of money on med students (more than most courses) and are denying them jobs, it seems silly that they increased the med student quota (at least in England) but apparently have not proportionally done so with the number of positions for doctors. Yes, it is expensive, but one would've thought they'd take that into account when taking in more med students in the first place.
    Numbers of med students seem to be going down again though. Certainly Aberdeen are now taking about 20 students less each year than when I started, which is at least a 10% decrease.

ReputationRep:
    Numbers of med students seem to be going down again though. Certainly Aberdeen are now taking about 20 students less each year than when I started, which is at least a 10% decrease.
    Many new medical schools have opened, BSMS has only had a few years of graduates, it's a very new medical school, as is HYMS. It has been in the news recently that many doctors have been unable to get a job. It seems daft that the government has spent so much money getting new medical schools up and running, and paying for new students only to deny them a job. It would seem to make sense to hire more doctors. If it is too expensive, it seems silly that they poured money into new students in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Many new medical schools have opened, BSMS has only had a few years of graduates, it's a very new medical school, as is HYMS. It has been in the news recently that many doctors have been unable to get a job. It seems daft that the government has spent so much money getting new medical schools up and running, and paying for new students only to deny them a job. It would seem to make sense to hire more doctors. If it is too expensive, it seems silly that they poured money into new students in the first place.
    That's classic short sighted government syndrome. It's exactly what they're doing with teachers at the mo - cutting secondary training places for primary ones cos the baby boom is coming into primary school, so they're gonna be screwed in a few years with no secondary teachers.

ReputationRep:
    That's classic short sighted government syndrome. It's exactly what they're doing with teachers at the mo - cutting secondary training places for primary ones cos the baby boom is coming into primary school, so they're gonna be screwed in a few years with no secondary teachers.
    It makes no sense. Is their something we're missing? Surely it doesn't take much nouse to realise that investing in something, only to not take it up, is going to result in a loss. There must be a reason why they did it in the first place, one would think.

ReputationRep:
    It makes no sense. Is their something we're missing? Surely it doesn't take much nouse to realise that investing in something, only to not take it up, is going to result in a loss. There must be a reason why they did it in the first place, one would think.
    5 year government terms. Why think about the long term when it'll be someone else's problem?

ReputationRep:
    5 year government terms. Why think about the long term when it'll be someone else's problem?
    Perhaps, but firstly I'd hope the government care a bit more for the country than that and secondly I imagine it is in the government's interest to be re-elected, making it their problem again. But bringing in more med students in isn't even something that would promote more votes, at least, I don't particularly see why it would.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, but firstly I'd hope the government care a bit more for the country than that and secondly I imagine it is in the government's interest to be re-elected, making it their problem again. But bringing in more med students in isn't even something that would promote more votes, at least, I don't particularly see why it would.
    All those new medical students were brought in under Labour. Anyway, I'm not entirely in favour of every single medical graduate getting a job forever and ever. Competition increases standards (note: this is not an argument for privatising the NHS. I'm entirely NOT in favour of that).

ReputationRep:
    All those new medical students were brought in under Labour. Anyway, I'm not entirely in favour of every single medical graduate getting a job forever and ever. Competition increases standards (note: this is not an argument for privatising the NHS. I'm entirely NOT in favour of that).
    Clearly this is an area where we both quite drastically disagree (apart from privitisation, which I am also vehemently against). It's a whole debate really, but I don't think here's the place for it!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to Ask Dr Clarke in Edinburgh on the 12th and 13th of March?

Potential Scottish Medical Meet up?

ReputationRep:
    It has been in the news recently that many doctors have been unable to get a job
    .....where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    .....where?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7173099.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3137490.ece

http://www.bmj.com/content/286/6383/2079.citation

ReputationRep:
    It was my understanding that there are enough jobs for doctors, just not in their priority location or specialty,

So for the government to create new posts would be a waste of resources surely?

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advic...ml?id=20000055

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    It was my understanding that there are enough jobs for doctors, just not in their priority location or specialty,
    And not in training posts.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh contentious - if you'd be any random poster you'd have got negged :p:

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't consider the current system to be meritocratic competition by any stretch of the imagination.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.