The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LShirley95
I thought the paper was pretty okay up until 7(a). When considering centripetal force I only wrote [mv^2]/a rather than [5mv^2]/a which led to a complete waste of time trying to figure out where I went wrong [and I never did find the problem until I talked to someone after the exam]. I then rushed through 7(b) and (c) thinking that I had my equation for v^2 wrong as I couldn't get part (a), luckily I didn't. But I didn't have time to check the rest of the paper, so I would really like a solutions thread just to see whether I have a chance of that 90+UMS.

OMG did the exact same it came to a point that I called the inviligator over saying this paper has mistakes in it loooool! But then I remembered the mv^2 and got the stated solution!
Original post by bananarama2
I did that first bit initially and realised my mistake.the last bit was a pain, but doable. I was just getting negative where I didn't want them :tongue:

I honestly didn't find (c) a pain, but I rushed through so I hope I didn't miss anything obvious in the question. Find its x coordinate, find its x speed pop out an equation, done. Find its y coordinate, find its y speed, tack on -[gt^2]/2, done?
I honestly didn't find (c) a pain, but I rushed through so I hope I didn't miss anything obvious in the question. Find its x coordinate, find its x speed pop out an equation, done. Find its y coordinate, find its y speed, tack on -[gt^2]/2, done?

That's what I did :tongue: It's just I was expecting it was a had a minor panic initially.

I just check my answer to the COM question and I'm fairly sure I got it right....
Original post by milliezhao
I took moment directly from the base and got the same answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, working about the base might have been easier
I thought the paper was pretty okay up until 7(a). When considering centripetal force I only wrote [mv^2]/a rather than [5mv^2]/a

Hahaha I also did the same mistake, but thankfully I figured it out in less then 30 seconds. I got very scared as it was a show that question... :biggrin:
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys, I feel much better know. I thought it was a paper with easy concepts that involved very complicated numbers and calculations. As you can see, not even a single answer was an easy number to remember. The only mistake that I'm sure of making was the last part of 7. Firstly, I forgot to cross out one wrong equation which I wrote but didn't use. Secondly, instead of adding the vertical distance moved I subtracted it. How many marks do you think I'll lose?
Just to give you an idea of grade boundaries guys (no offense to anyone), I found this paper easy relative to other ones because there was no questions that requires your thoughts (maybe apart from circular motion last part) or anything challenging. So I would expect
62 = 80UMS
68 = 90UMS
75 = 100UMS
Reply 767
Original post by kettlechips
Question 6 was 14 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

asdlajsd

thanks, now I know for sure I've immediately dropped 10 marks laughsob

hopefully they'll give me a few method marks...
Original post by bananarama2
I think that's what I got too....although for the first bit didn't it ask for the coordinates so it was 1.5 something?

i asked for the x coordinate, i double checked :smile:
Original post by milliezhao
i asked for the x coordinate, i double checked :smile:

Yes..so it was 1.5 then...
Probably the worst exam i have ever done. Im expecting my first D, if that.
About the boundaries, I've noticed that m3 in the recent years has only had two types of boundaries, one is the one that you need 63 for 90% and the other is the one that you need 70 for 90%. I'm not an expert obviously, but I think sadly this one will be one of those that you need 70 for 90%. Obviously it's just a guess. No offence intended.
Original post by mashmammad
About the boundaries, I've noticed that m3 in the recent years has only had two types of boundaries, one is the one that you need 63 for 90% and the other is the one that you need 70 for 90%. I'm not an expert obviously, but I think sadly this one will be one of those that you need 70 for 90%. Obviously it's just a guess. No offence intended.

Yeah it seems quite arbitrary. I don't really see much difference in difficulty between a 63marks for 90UMS and a 69-70marks for 90UMS paper. This paper seemed a lot like any other one so it's anybody's guess really. Judging from the fact that most people found it difficult maybe we'll get low boundaries? I dunno.
Reply 773
For anyone who wants to check solutions i posted some i think on page 37. Pretty simple paper i would go for grade boundaries being:
75- 100
70/69 - 90
64/63 - 80
Reply 774
Original post by MAD Phil
I'll start work on both of them as soon as Graham puts them on the Emporium. They are not there yet - maybe he's stuck in traffic!

Has he uploaded it? I would just want to see a few of the questions in the international one. For the international one, it is really hard and one of the questions ask candidates to use integration to prove CG of a sector from each of the 2 straight edges.(7 marks) (I don't know if it is a hard question for students from UK, but many of us found it to be out of expectation.)

I would like to know if this paper would have a low 90UMS boundary.
Reply 775
I liked this paper as it played to my strengths but I think the people suggesting they finished it in 45 mins are just wanting a bit of attention and want someone to acknowledge they exist. Don't waste your time on them people!

In my school, most people struggled so I think the boundaries will be lower than 69/75 for 90 UMS.

We had 9 people doing it. 3 including myself thought it went well, the other 6 said it went terribly.

I thought it was harder than June 12 so I'm expecting 65 to be 90 UMS.

Q7c would have been hard if you were rushed for time. I had 20 minutes just on that so I ended up getting it.
can someone post the answer for the last question please?
Reply 777
Original post by goodkwong
Has he uploaded it? I would just want to see a few of the questions in the international one. For the international one, it is really hard and one of the questions ask candidates to use integration to prove CG of a sector from each of the 2 straight edges.(7 marks) (I don't know if it is a hard question for students from UK, but many of us found it to be out of expectation.)

I would like to know if this paper would have a low 90UMS boundary.

They have appeared now. I've done the UK one (see below). I'm just starting the international one.

For the UK one, I think I agree with Idknow on everything except 7(c), where you needed to get the answers in terms of a, g and t only.

It got pretty tough towards the end, didn't it?

EDIT: Thanks for people's corrections. I've altered my answers as needed by corrections as notified by about 1 p.m., today, Wednesday the 12th.

EDIT, 31 July: I've now added versions checked against the official markschemes. The only difference in the M3R paper is correcting a slip in the arithmetic in Q2. In the M3 paper, I've reinstated the integration in the centres of mass question, as it was clearly asked for and was needed for full marks. But I've pointed out how you can keep the workload down by going to the calculator as soon as you have a numerical expression to evaluate.

Best use the "CHECKED" versions from now on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 778
They have appeared now. I've done the UK one (see below). I'm just starting the international one.

For the UK one, I think I agree with Idknow on everything except 7(c), where you needed to get the answers in terms of a, g and t only.

Could you simply upload the questions(or with solution) of the international one since I would like to know if I had got Q3 and Q4 correct(which I forget what are them about).

Do you find the international one hard and tough? How is it comparing with the UK one?
Reply 779

I couldn't be bothered to sub in the value of v since it would take effort to do without any tools and still make it clear, btw any chance you could possibly determine how many marks i would of lost for the stupid mistake on question 5 COM? it was 13 marks and i think i would lose 8 at worse but just want to get a better idea i guess
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending