Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Problem 110*

Prove that \displaystyle (\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}{b_k})^  2 \leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 for all real numbers \displaystyle a_k, b_k with using Cauchy-Schwartz.
    Solution 110

Consider the quadratic equation:

\big{(}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{  \infty}a_{k}^2\big{)}x^2 + 2\big{(}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^  {\infty}a_{k}b_{k}\big{)} x + \big{(}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{  \infty}b_{k}^2\big{)} = 0

which one can verify is the same as  \displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}  (a_kx+b_k)^2 = 0, which is why the above quadratic is non-negative.

Since the equation is non-negative, this equation can have at most 1 root in \mathBB{R} (hopefully obvious) and this implies  b^2 - 4ac \leq 0 (discriminant test for no. of roots), from which the result follows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    Solution 110

Consider the quadratic equation:

\big{(}\dfrac{1}{4}\displaystyle  \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^2\big{)  }x^2 + \big{(}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{  \infty}a_{k}b_{k}\big{)}^2 x + \big{(}\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{  \infty}b_{k}^2\big{)} = 0

Since all terms are non-negative, this equation can have at most 1 root in \mathBB{R} The this implies  b^2 - 4ac \leq 0 , from which the result follows.
    Your result implies  \displaystyle (\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}{b_k})^  4 \leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 which is simply not true.

Also, why is it that all the coefficients being non-negative implies b^2 \leq 4ac? Consider x^2+x+1=0 etc... (perhaps i have misunderstood you. If so I apologise.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Your result implies  \displaystyle (\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}{b_k})^  4 \leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}{a_k}^2 which is simply not true.

Also, why is it that all the coefficients being non-negative implies b^2 \leq 4ac? Consider x^2+x+1=0 etc... (perhaps i have misunderstood you. If so I apologise.)
    Wrote very badly/lazy.. to the point of making factual errors out of a lack of thinking.. but hopefully the corrections/additions should be sufficient now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    Wrote very badly/lazy.. to the point of making factual errors out of a lack of thinking.. but hopefully the corrections/additions should be sufficient now!
    Well the infinite series I have presented are not necessarily bounded so are you able to justify the use of the discriminant in the quadratic equation and perhaps even the validity of forming a quadratic equation in the cases where the coefficients are infinite? (It may be correct, but you'll need to justify this assumption either way.)

Note that a very straightforward solution exists whereby the considerations of infinity are trivial (if it turns out your method is false.)

ReputationRep:
    Subbing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixir)
    We have f(xy)=f(x)f(y) and f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y\in \mathbb{R^{+}}.

How did you get these?
    Can someone tell me how he got that implication, it's driving me nuts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixir)
    Can someone tell me how he got that implication, it's driving me nuts!

f(z)^{f(xy)}=f(z^{xy})=f(z^{x})^  f(y)=f(z)^{f(x)f(y)}.
    f(z)^{f(x+y)}=f(z^{x+y})=f(z)^{f  (x)}f(z)^{f(y)}.

Solution 111

There are two possibilities:
    If, \lambda = p^{5}, we have \min(a+b) = p^{2}+p.
    If, \lambda = p_{1}p_{2}^{2}, then \min(a+b) = p_{1}p_{2}+p_{1}^{2}p_{2}.

A quick question to Lord of the Flies:
    Are you sure about problem 104? For example, the right-handed side is not defined when x=0, whereas the left-handed side is.

(Original post by Jkn)
    Hahahaa, did you figure out why? :rolleyes:
    Nope, I cannot think of anything that impels you to put such restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mladenov)
    f(z)^{f(xy)}=f(z^{xy})=f(z^{x})^  f(y)=f(z)^{f(x)f(y)}.
    f(z)^{f(x+y)}=f(z^{x+y})=f(z)^{f  (x)}f(z)^{f(y)}.

Solution 111

There are two possibilities:
    If, \lambda = p^{5}, we have \min(a+b) = p^{2}+p.
    If, \lambda = p_{1}p_{2}^{2}, then \min(a+b) = p_{1}p_{2}+p_{1}^{2}p_{2}.

A quick question to Lord of the Flies:
    Are you sure about problem 104? For example, the right-handed side is not defined when x=0, whereas the left-handed side is.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I cannot think of anything that impels you to put such restrictions.
    I found it when I looked at the Bulgarian Olympiads hahaha!

----------

Everyone who doing/is interested in STEP, check out the new thread I made: "STEP Mathematics Problem Solving Society"

I'm basically hoping to create something just like this but for STEP questions! :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    Typo, it is [-1,1]\to\mathbb{R}

ReputationRep:
    Problem 112*** difficult..

Evaluate \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} x \ln(\tan x)dx.

Problem 113*** I cannot resist posting number theory!

Let p be a prime number and m,n - positive integers. We have \displaystyle \sum_{i \equiv 0 \pmod p} (-1)^{i} \dbinom{n}{i} i^{m} \equiv 0 \pmod {p^{\left[\frac{n-m-1}{p-1}\right]}}.

(Original post by Jkn)
    I found it when I looked at the Bulgarian Olympiads hahaha!
    It is given on the third round, right?
    It is too easy for the fourth round; I have solved negligible number of questions of our third round.

(Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Typo, it is [-1,1]\to\mathbb{R}
    Well. I am gonna ace it now.

ReputationRep:
    It is given on the third round, right?
    It is too easy for the fourth round; I have solved negligible number of questions of our third round.
    That's right! Hahaaha! We can't all be Bulgarian geniuses :rolleyes:. Come do some STEP on my thread! It's really empty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    We can't all be Bulgarian geniuses :rolleyes:.
    I know right :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I was feeling smug about having solved someone's quantum mechanics problem. Then I returned here....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    I know right :rolleyes:
    Fortunately though, we can be English geniuses :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    Fortunately though, we can be English geniuses :rolleyes:
    You can! I can be hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    You can! I can be hopeful.
    We will work on it next year! Big up Emmanuel 2K13!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkn)
    We will work on it next year! Big up Emmanuel 2K13!
    I think you and all the other freshers will think I'm some kind of social retard. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I think you and all the other freshers will think I'm some kind of social retard. :lol:
    Hahahahahaha, **** it uni's a time to reinvent yourself

I will teach you some drinking games :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Solution 112

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x\ln \tan x\,dx &=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x\ln \sin x\,dx-\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x\ln \cos x\,dx \\&=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}2x\ln \sin x\,dx-\frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{  2}}\ln \sin x\,dx \\&=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}2x\ln \sin x\,dx+\frac{\pi^2}{4}\ln 2\end{aligned}

Using standard formulae:

\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n \sin 2kz =\frac{1}{2\sin z} \Big( \cos z-\cos (2n+1)z\Big) which upon integration with 0<x<\frac{\pi}{2} gives:

\displaystyle \int_x^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos (2n+1) z}{\sin z}\,dz=\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{\cos 2k x}{k}+\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}+\ln \sin x

Note that \displaystyle \int_x^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos (2n+1) z}{\sin z}\,dz=\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{2n+1}+\frac{\sin (2n+1) x}{(2n+1)\sin x}- \int_x^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin (2n+1) z\cos z}{(2n+1)\sin^2 z}\,dz

Which \to 0 as n\to\infty. Hence we obtain the relation: \displaystyle \ln \sin x= -\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos 2k x}{k}-\ln 2

\displaystyle \begin{aligned}\int_0^{\frac{\pi  }{2}}2x\ln \sin x\,dx &=-\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sum_{k=1}  ^{\infty} \frac{2x\cos 2k x}{k}+2x\ln 2\,dx \\&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\int_0^{ \frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\sin 2kx}{k^2}\,dx-\frac{\pi^2}{4}\ln 2\\&=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2k}\left[\frac{1-\cos k\pi}{k^2}\right]-\frac{\pi^2}{4}\ln 2\\&=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}  {(2m+1)^3}-\frac{\pi^2}{4}\ln 2

Hence:

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}x\ln \tan x\,dx &= \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(2m+  1)^3}\\&=\sum_{q=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{q^3}-\sum_{q=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(2q)  ^3}\\&= \frac{7}{8} \sum_{q=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{q^3}  \\&= \frac{7}{8}\zeta (3)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.