Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I heard some people start as late as 3.30, is that not embargo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    I heard some people start as late as 3.30, is that not embargo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We start at 2:30pm ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    Do you not need to consider the kinetic energy of the particle and anti particle before collision though? For energy conservation.
    Doesn't the extra kinetic energy go to the gamma radiation ? & give it higher frequency (E=hf)

But I don't think you should worry too much about it.... they may ask why colliding 2 protons together may produce more than 2 protons. That would be due to extra KE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepshap)
    Do we need to know definitions?
    Of course! Mainly for electricity I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    Will you need to do calculations for annihilation? If the particle and anti particle have kinetic energy, will that mean the photon energy is the rest energies + kinetic energies divided by 2?
    No. In annihilation, E[photon produced]=E0[particle/antiparticle annihilated]. The rest of the energy (kinetic energy) of the particle and antiparticle may cause more photons to be produced than just the standard 2.

In pair production, E[photon required]=2*E0[particle/antiparticle produced]. Any extra energy the photon has goes into KE for these two particles.

(And, as they usually like to ask, the antiparticle will likely go on to annihilate with a particle, to produce more photons.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westarmy)
    How do you hate me when I say...
    I got an A in January but I am resitting! Because I want full UMS...
    A douche yes?
    HAHA! Me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepshap)
    Do we need to know definitions?
    Look through past papers. They will only generally ask for definitions of photoelectric emission/effect, or isotopes. All others tend to be equation related, such as current (Q/t) therefore rate of flow of charge, or voltage (W/Q) therefore work done per unit charge.

If it involves an equation, it will most likely be (top per unit bottom) as shown in the second example.

ReputationRep:
    Night all

ReputationRep:
    Let's create an unofficial mark scheme after the exam??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermdc)
    Let's create an unofficial mark scheme after the exam??
    YES!

ReputationRep:
    Someone help me please! I can't seem to find May 2009 PHYA1 mark scheme anywhere ???????? :confused:

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Someone help me please! I can't seem to find May 2009 PHYA1 mark scheme anywhere ???????? :confused:

Thanks in advance
    This what you're looking for? http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/...W-MS-JUN09.pdf

ReputationRep:
    How many sig figs do we give the calculation answers to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackb1234)
    This what you're looking for? http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/...W-MS-JUN09.pdf
    Thank you !!

(Original post by Mnms)
    You should typically give it to atleast 2 decimal places... or how many they've given the values in the question to. Don't worry about it too much... as long as your sensible with your sig figs you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westarmy)
    Perhaps....

Are you doing this exam?
    Nope- just stalking to see if there was any mention of unit 2 stuff. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody send me the link to the May 09 paper please

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know details of an experiment for diffraction?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mnms)
    Significant figures do not matter, EXCEPT for one question or part-question which says otherwise. To get this mark, use the same number of significant figures as the question to be sure. For example, if the question asked you to find de broglie's wavelength, h is used to three significant figures, so your answer would also be given to three significant figures You can only lose a maximum of one mark though, only on the designated question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zozzy)
    Can somebody send me the link to the May 09 paper please
    http://web.archive.org/web/201009230...W-QP-JUN09.PDF
    http://web.archive.org/web/201009230...W-MS-JUN09.PDF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenChard)
    do we need to know details of an experiment for diffraction?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electron diffraction experimentation isnt on the syllabus

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.