The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 1 PHYA1 20th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
I heard some people start as late as 3.30, is that not embargo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tuya
I heard some people start as late as 3.30, is that not embargo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We start at 2:30pm ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeneralOJB
Do you not need to consider the kinetic energy of the particle and anti particle before collision though? For energy conservation.

Doesn't the extra kinetic energy go to the gamma radiation ? & give it higher frequency (E=hf)

But I don't think you should worry too much about it.... they may ask why colliding 2 protons together may produce more than 2 protons. That would be due to extra KE
Original post by sheepshap
Do we need to know definitions?

Of course! Mainly for electricity I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeneralOJB
Will you need to do calculations for annihilation? If the particle and anti particle have kinetic energy, will that mean the photon energy is the rest energies + kinetic energies divided by 2?

No. In annihilation, E[photon produced]=E0[particle/antiparticle annihilated]. The rest of the energy (kinetic energy) of the particle and antiparticle may cause more photons to be produced than just the standard 2.

In pair production, E[photon required]=2*E0[particle/antiparticle produced]. Any extra energy the photon has goes into KE for these two particles.

(And, as they usually like to ask, the antiparticle will likely go on to annihilate with a particle, to produce more photons.)
Original post by westarmy
How do you hate me when I say...
I got an A in January but I am resitting! Because I want full UMS...
A douche yes?

HAHA! Me too
Original post by sheepshap
Do we need to know definitions?

Look through past papers. They will only generally ask for definitions of photoelectric emission/effect, or isotopes. All others tend to be equation related, such as current (Q/t) therefore rate of flow of charge, or voltage (W/Q) therefore work done per unit charge.

If it involves an equation, it will most likely be (top per unit bottom) as shown in the second example.
Night all :smile:
Let's create an unofficial mark scheme after the exam??
Original post by mastermdc
Let's create an unofficial mark scheme after the exam??

YES!
Someone help me please! I can't seem to find May 2009 PHYA1 mark scheme anywhere ???????? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Original post by posthumus
Someone help me please! I can't seem to find May 2009 PHYA1 mark scheme anywhere ???????? :confused:

Thanks in advance

This what you're looking for? http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_1/Tests/AQA-PHYA1-W-MS-JUN09.pdf
Reply 772
How many sig figs do we give the calculation answers to?

Thank you !! :colondollar:

Original post by Mnms

You should typically give it to atleast 2 decimal places... or how many they've given the values in the question to. Don't worry about it too much... as long as your sensible with your sig figs you should be fine :smile:
Original post by westarmy
Perhaps.... :colone:

Are you doing this exam?

Nope- just stalking to see if there was any mention of unit 2 stuff. How about you? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 775
Can somebody send me the link to the May 09 paper please :smile:
do we need to know details of an experiment for diffraction?!
Original post by Mnms

Significant figures do not matter, EXCEPT for one question or part-question which says otherwise. To get this mark, use the same number of significant figures as the question to be sure. For example, if the question asked you to find de broglie's wavelength, h is used to three significant figures, so your answer would also be given to three significant figures :smile: You can only lose a maximum of one mark though, only on the designated question :smile:
Original post by BenChard
do we need to know details of an experiment for diffraction?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electron diffraction experimentation isnt on the syllabus :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending