Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few people talking about experience - my two pence worth is this. It's what you get out of the experience, not how much. I work full time and have three kids, I used pretty much all my annual leave doing my 16 days experience, I am hoping that shows my desire to want to teach, rather than I lack the experience. Believe me, I would love to have enough time to volunteer my time for a day a week for a year in a school, but I have too many commitments to do so. Get what experience you can, make it count. Hand on heart, I felt the last few days of my experience was the least helpful in terms of I was often observing the same class given by the teachers and finding it hard to observe anything new to put down in my application. From what I can see, your experience and personal statements are mainly hurdles to jump to get you in the race, not the race itself. They can of course if they are not good enough leave you without a chance (when I first graduate 8 years ago I put a pretty rubbish application in with no school experience), but ultimately it's going to be the interviews that make the difference.

ReputationRep:
    When we write about work experience in our personal statement do we have to write the name of the school? Or can this just go in the work experience section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    When we write about work experience in our personal statement do we have to write the name of the school? Or can this just go in the work experience section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Put any specific details in the exp section, the PS characters are too valuable. You might put something about in your placement in year 2 or similar, but I wouldn't add any more detail than that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if our references can see our application details, like personal statement etc.

Also, I don't really understand how the bursaries work. I thought their aim was to attract to teachers to shortage subjects, yet English and history and the two most over subscribed secondary PGCEs, so it just doesn't make sense.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend what revision books to use to practice for the skills test? Should I use a GCSE revision guide or skills test revision guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Can someone tell me if our references can see our application details, like personal statement etc.

Also, I don't really understand how the bursaries work. I thought their aim was to attract to teachers to shortage subjects, yet English and history and the two most over subscribed secondary PGCEs, so it just doesn't make sense.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    To my knowledge, no.
    Generally the bursaries always go to the traditional core subjects, hence why English and history get one. They increase if they need more teachers in that subject. So a shortage subject such as maths with get 3x the amount of money as an English teacher as they need to offer more incentive for maths graduates to get into teaching. Whilst English is competitive, it is also a subject that will always need teachers, hence the bursary to keep attracting them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    To my knowledge, no.
    Generally the bursaries always go to the traditional core subjects, hence why English and history get one. They increase if they need more teachers in that subject. So a shortage subject such as maths with get 3x the amount of money as an English teacher as they need to offer more incentive for maths graduates to get into teaching. Whilst English is competitive, it is also a subject that will always need teachers, hence the bursary to keep attracting them.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I am surprised to see Latin and Greek included int he MFL bracket this year. That's a lot of money! I've never heard of those subjects even being taught in a state school.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, we had Latin GCSE at my state school. Although it's not technically a modern foreign language so I know what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amul1992)
    Yep, we had Latin GCSE at my state school. Although it's not technically a modern foreign language so I know what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, I see. It just seems so weird to give so much money for a language that isn't used anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please recommend a kind of structure to how we can talk about our work experience in the personal statement. I think it's hard cos I've got so much to say but I can't get it out in words.. Just if anyone can please recommend precise questions, that would be great thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Put any specific details in the exp section, the PS characters are too valuable. You might put something about in your placement in year 2 or similar, but I wouldn't add any more detail than that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! That's a relief because some of the school names are quite long lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's about numbers for subjects like English, it's about quality. They want to keep attracting the top graduates so they offer high bursaries.

On a side note, I just submitted my application for my one and only PGCE course and my degree is not even directly relevant so I hope a miracle happens...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I am surprised to see Latin and Greek included int he MFL bracket this year. That's a lot of money! I've never heard of those subjects even being taught in a state school.
    I would assume the government wants to bring the study of them back. Though to do that they'd also need to create more pgce courses for it, something that seems to have been overlooked!

ReputationRep:
    Our university did a talk about applying to PGCEs yesterday, based off information they were given at a training day on Friday. As a university that offers PGCEs in both early years and general primary, they were trying to give us an idea of what to expect...

Except they weren't aware that the date had changed from 1st Nov to 21st Nov, and even argued with my friends when they mentioned it. It wasn't until one of them looked it up online that they accepted the change in dates. Now they're really irritated because they've based their interview dates around 1st Nov and hadn't been informed that they'd need to rejig them...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is... this whole thing is a mess. Even the institutions themselves aren't being told the correct information. My university didn't even know whether you could book skills tests yet. It seems they're being kept in the dark as much as we are. So maybe don't expect things to run smoothly even when applications open up.

It might also be worth noting that if you're applying to a school-based training route (such as SCITT), many institutions that offer this are not prepared to receive applications for November, according to some people my university spoke to at the training day. So you might be waiting around a while for those to open up.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I don't have much advice, so I'm sorry about that, but I do sympathise. I study politics, and am desperate to get into secondary teaching. Like psychology, it's not the easiest way in due to it's absence on the curriculum. I am applying for R.E and hoping I can blag it's relevance!

I take it you're not interested in primary? Your degree would be well suited for that. But I know how it is to much prefer secondary. What did you do for A-Level/grades? Teach First offers a way in if you have an A (it may be a B actually) in one of their listed subjects.
    Thanks for the reply! I know, I really don't know what to do. I definitely prefer secondary, I feel I relate to the students more and would enjoy teaching at a higher level. I also have a lot of experience within secondary schools, both mainstream and special. However, I have never had any experience within a primary school therefore I might look into doing some volunteering in my local area and see what I think. I studied Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care at A2 and Religion and Ethics at AS - achieved grade B in all, they aren't particularly curriculum subjects neither?! Do you have any relevant A-Level subjects? I will have to look into Teach First, thank you! Hope your application goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halliefest)
    Thanks for the reply! I know, I really don't know what to do. I definitely prefer secondary, I feel I relate to the students more and would enjoy teaching at a higher level. I also have a lot of experience within secondary schools, both mainstream and special. However, I have never had any experience within a primary school therefore I might look into doing some volunteering in my local area and see what I think. I studied Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care at A2 and Religion and Ethics at AS - achieved grade B in all, they aren't particularly curriculum subjects neither?! Do you have any relevant A-Level subjects? I will have to look into Teach First, thank you! Hope your application goes well!
    Ah, like you, I don't have any relevant a-levels so teach first hasn't been an option for me either. I did psychology, law and economics. So my only option is to blag that I could teach r.e. I did a subject knowledge enhancement over the summer so hopefully that will help.

I know what you mean about primary though. It's never appealed to me. I just prefer the higher age group.

Sorry I can't help more. I just know how frustrating it is! I wish I wanted to teach when I first applied to uni because I'd have studied a national curriculum subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a pace at Newcastle university would it be better to do 4 A-Levels or a children's play, learning and development level 3 course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was thinking to apply for a PGCE 2014 and wanted to know when the best time is to make an application?

I still need to arrange work experience in schools and wanted to know if I could start applying in November and arrange work experience later? Is this possible?

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    Hey

I was thinking to apply for a PGCE 2014 and wanted to know when the best time is to make an application?

I still need to arrange work experience in schools and wanted to know if I could start applying in November and arrange work experience later? Is this possible?

Cxx
    Yes, but you app would be stronger if you'd started it/completed it. It doesn't mean it would be automatically rejected though. It depends what subject you're apply for really. Secondary subjects such as history, p.e., English and also primary teaching are very competitive so you should apply ASAP. Shortage subjects such as science or maths are less so and you could get away with waiting to submit until you had your exp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Yes, but you app would be stronger if you'd started it/completed it. It doesn't mean it would be automatically rejected though. It depends what subject you're apply for really. Secondary subjects such as history, p.e., English and also primary teaching are very competitive so you should apply ASAP. Shortage subjects such as science or maths are less so and you could get away with waiting to submit until you had your exp.
    I want to teach German as I have a degree in German and International Relations but don't have any teaching experience per se. So, I was really confused about the application process and deadlines because I want to get as much experience as possible to increase my chances of getting a place.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.