Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    About 95k a year
    I never knew ice cream man/woman gets 95k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qr95)
    I never knew ice cream man/woman gets 95k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh of course some do

ReputationRep:
    I currently earn around 22k, but who cares? I'd like to earn multiple x that but I don't really deserve it. I'd take less for a 9 to 5, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumbeale)
    I currently earn around 22k, but who cares? I'd like to earn multiple x that but I don't really deserve it. I'd take less for a 9 to 5, too.
    Hope you didn't suck from the higher education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krek)
    I'm aiming for 27-30k , I've set my sights on working with the MI5 straight out of uni.
    Haha, the stupidity of this post...

ReputationRep:
    Wow alot of posters here seem really optimistic. As a biologist I probably expect to earn 18-19k after I graduate, which is peanuts if I decide to do a masters/phd.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally I'd like a job where I'm earning over £20k to live comfortably.

At the moment I'm on £12k (working in retail full time)

Been looking at teaching which is about £21-£30k a year.

Either that or continue to work in retail and become freelance, not really sure how much I'd make.

ReputationRep:
    Well at the moment Being a Newly Qualified Nurse at the bottom of my pay band it's around £21,500 which will go up to around nearly £28,000 as long as i pass all the competencies for the next increment because the government sure isn't raising wages. That is of course as long as i stay and don't decided to go into Clinical Photography instead which is the same pay band but i could travel with both so realistically i'm happy at the moment but wouldn't mind around 30-40K but then job enjoyment drives me more than money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tahtahspo)
    Wow alot of posters here seem really optimistic. As a biologist I probably expect to earn 18-19k after I graduate, which is peanuts if I decide to do a masters/phd.
    Straight into a typical job I reckon that's probably somewhat accurate. I'm a chemist so uh slightly different, but equally, if you try for a grad scheme I reckon you can easily top another 5k on that. I'm just starting my final year so i've been looking, and ... pleasantly surprised? I expected more like 22-24k for most grad schemes, but actually i've seen a lot much dithering around the 28k mark. Some of the most competitive are more like 30-35k but yeah, surprised me actually there's a bit more out there when you really start to look. Mainly at this time of year though as many of them do close autumn/winter time. I suspect it's all going to be grossly competitive though, so I probably shouldn't get too used to the idea

I saw a job a few months ago, in an area I think I might like to work in, and it was paying 18k. Kick in the face, personally, given my housemate got 19k on her placement before she even has a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx-Samantha-xx)
    Well at the moment Being a Newly Qualified Nurse at the bottom of my pay band it's around £21,500 which will go up to around nearly £28,000 as long as i pass all the competencies for the next increment because the government sure isn't raising wages. That is of course as long as i stay and don't decided to go into Clinical Photography instead which is the same pay band but i could travel with both so realistically i'm happy at the moment but wouldn't mind around 30-40K but then job enjoyment drives me more than money.
    Sure sounds like a pay rise

A 30% one at that...

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a consultant, so if I stay in the UK circa £100,000 a year. If I go to the states then the sky is the proverbial limit! That is, if I actually get somewhere in Medicine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sure sounds like a pay rise

A 30% one at that...
    It doesn't come all in one go and it performance/competency related there's about 8 increment points within the pay band.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't come all in one go and it performance/competency related there's about 8 increment points within the pay band.
    So about 3.7% a year pay rises unless you're at the top of the band or in Scotland or get promotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So about 3.7% a year pay rises unless you're at the top of the band or in Scotland or get promotion.
    Looks good when you put it like that i have to admit, it's mainly the way the government/media stated that it was an easy pay rise as it's apparently based on how long you had been there, when its not, that annoyed me at the time. At the end of the day i appreciate that i'm in a job that i like and on a decent wage for my age when people the same age are struggling to get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good when you put it like that i have to admit, it's mainly the way the government/media stated that it was an easy pay rise as it's apparently based on how long you had been there, when its not, that annoyed me at the time. At the end of the day i appreciate that i'm in a job that i like and on a decent wage for my age when people the same age are struggling to get jobs.
    + rep

Nursing unions (and teachers) made it sound like like individuals living standards were getting worse as pay growth was running under inflation.

That annoyed me as someone in the public service without incremental progression pay. Like you I was just glad to have a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Straight into a typical job I reckon that's probably somewhat accurate. I'm a chemist so uh slightly different, but equally, if you try for a grad scheme I reckon you can easily top another 5k on that. I'm just starting my final year so i've been looking, and ... pleasantly surprised? I expected more like 22-24k for most grad schemes, but actually i've seen a lot much dithering around the 28k mark. Some of the most competitive are more like 30-35k but yeah, surprised me actually there's a bit more out there when you really start to look. Mainly at this time of year though as many of them do close autumn/winter time. I suspect it's all going to be grossly competitive though, so I probably shouldn't get too used to the idea

I saw a job a few months ago, in an area I think I might like to work in, and it was paying 18k. Kick in the face, personally, given my housemate got 19k on her placement before she even has a degree.
    That sounds quite promising actually but I've read that a chemistry degree is far more employable than a standard biology degree (and that a chem eng degree is even more ?? ) so the odds aren't exactly in my favour haha. Call me cynical but I'd be very happy if I got a starting salary of more than 20k.

ReputationRep:
    Musician- 60-70k per annum?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Musician- 60-70k per annum?
    For a musician? You're optimistic. When my parents left the professional orchestra they played in they were earning 35-40k each. And that was after 30 years' employment with one leading a section. And they were considered incredibly lucky.

ReputationRep:
    About £10000 a year and ill go from there, gotta finish uni degree first

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    For a musician? You're optimistic. When my parents left the professional orchestra they played in they were earning 35-40k each. And that was after 30 years' employment with one leading a section. And they were considered incredibly lucky.
    Trust me, I know the business If you're a conductor u can earn, idk, 40k per concert. It obviously varies from orchestra to orchestra e.g. the principal oboist in Berlin earns 8k per month

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.