The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dannywaughman
I sent off in late November, I wasn't sure whether they just leave it late or something but it's bugging me 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compared to my other choices they took quite a while, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you applied with realistic grades
Reply 761
Original post by WillB639
Im going to the UCL day tomorrow, when I went to book it was only showing me the 11th as available. ill update you tomorrow evening :smile:

How did it go, and what was the interview like?
Reply 762
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I received a letter in the post from Nottingham today regarding my application. They said they will be making me an offer for a place to study MSci Physics there, but they have not specified the grades yet.

Thet mentioned that their standard offer is A*AA and also said ''we believe it is important to treat your application individually to ensure that the offer we make is right for you, matched to your personal background and circumstances.'' I was invited to attend a visit day, which includes and informal chat with a member of academic staff about my application, and my offer will be confirmed at this meeting?

I should mention that I'm a mature student (24), and self-studying my A-levels. I find it hard to believe I'll receive a lower offer, seeing as I have standard offers from Bristol, Leicester, and Loughborough. Is this common with Nottingham?

I got the same letter, went to the visit day on Wednesday. Basically, if you firm them you get AAB but if you don't the offers A*AA. They said its to remove some uncertainty from the process. That's what they said to everyone there on wednesday, anyway.
Original post by wmavfc
I got the same letter, went to the visit day on Wednesday. Basically, if you firm them you get AAB but if you don't the offers A*AA. They said its to remove some uncertainty from the process. That's what they said to everyone there on wednesday, anyway.

That's just made my life 100x harder if that's what they offer me... :s-smilie:
Reply 764
Original post by Tibbz2
That's just made my life 100x harder if that's what they offer me... :s-smilie:

Why's that?
Original post by wmavfc
Why's that?

Because I was stuck between Durham and Nottingham, but both on the same offer I was going to go with Durham, but if Nottingham are that much lower it brings the decision back again :tongue:
Original post by wmavfc

They offered you ****ing AAB?!
Original post by Anaris
How did it go, and what was the interview like?

Went really well, definitely my first choice uni. The interview was alright, They asked why I wanted to study physics, why at UCL, areas of physics I'm interested in and then questions about things i wrote on my PS, and then they tell you about research that they're currently involved in. There's enough academic staff that everyone in our group of about 15 was interviewed at once in one of the research labs so quite a relaxed atmosphere, good luck!
Original post by wmavfc

Btw what did they talk about with you in the 1 on 1?
Does Manchester do any nuclear fusion research? They have a history in nuclear physics so I would've thought that they did but I can't find any info on it (I know Durham, Cambridge, Imperial etc do it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 770
They offered you ****ing AAB?!

A*AA, AAB if I firm. They said the same to everyone on the visit day, then got it in a letter.

Original post by Tibbz2
Because I was stuck between Durham and Nottingham, but both on the same offer I was going to go with Durham, but if Nottingham are that much lower it brings the decision back again :tongue:

Ah I'm stuck between Exeter & Nottingham, both AAB. No idea which to choose!!

The interview was literally just a chat. First he mentioned one thing off my personal statement, asked me what area of physics I'm interested in and then if I had any questions.
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Does Manchester do any nuclear fusion research? They have a history in nuclear physics so I would've thought that they did but I can't find any info on it (I know Durham, Cambridge, Imperial etc do it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's not on their research page then they don't research it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanRigg96#
If it's not on their research page then they don't research it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it worth rejecting a uni for undergraduate study on the basis that they don't do research in a field you're interested in (since it might not be important at UG level)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it worth rejecting a uni for undergraduate study on the basis that they don't do research in a field you're interested in (since it might not be important at UG level)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might find they don't offer UG modules on it, unlike say York who do a lot of Fusion Research,
I imagine doing a PHD in Nuclear Fusion is difficult without UG study of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might find they don't offer UG modules on it, unlike say York who do a lot of Fusion Research,
I imagine doing a PHD in Nuclear Fusion is difficult without UG study of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They seem to do a module/option on nuclear fusion but I don't think they do research on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
They seem to do a module/option on nuclear fusion but I don't think they do research on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say if you definitely know you want to do research in Fusion then go to a uni that researches it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say if you definitely know you want to do research in Fusion then go to a uni that researches it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, cheers :smile: also, if I complete UG at a uni, then apply to do a PhD at the same uni, am I given priority over someone from another uni or is everyone treated equally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright, cheers :smile: also, if I complete UG at a uni, then apply to do a PhD at the same uni, am I given priority over someone from another uni or is everyone treated equally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beats me 😂
Original post by wmavfc
A*AA, AAB if I firm. They said the same to everyone on the visit day, then got it in a letter.

Why do they give these offers to certain applicants? I read some people on here go straight A*AA offers from Nottingham.

From deprived areas, maybe?
Reply 779
Why do they give these offers to certain applicants? I read some people on here go straight A*AA offers from Nottingham.

From deprived areas, maybe?

They didn't mention anything to do with that on the visit day. Was all about how they want to remove the uncertainty for applicants who choose them as their firm choice. I'm surprised if all offer holders weren't given that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending