Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I find that the FT weekender is brilliant, I don't read it during the week. I've been told so many times that an economics interview is essentially a maths interview so I'm going over STEP 1, AEA, Oxford MAT, Common maths interview Qs, ect ect. Really have no guidance.

The reason why I am preparing now before I even get an interview is that on the off chance that I do get an interview in say a months time, I would want more time to prepare. If I don't get one, so be it, at least I am more knowledgeable because of this preparation :/
    If I were you I'd practice graph sketching of complex functions. You need to be able to break the steps up i.e. even/odd functions, limits and stuff. I've seen the MAT and that seems like good practice but haven't really seen the other 2. STEP 1 maybe a bit too much imo, AEA i've heard is easier but still good preparation. I think learning C3-4 would be quite good preparation too, to get yourself more comfortable with maths. Reading TE/FT would be sufficient preparation for the macro side.

IIRC your UMS is v high so you'll definitely get an interview. It's better to be prepared and not get an interview than unprepared and getting an interview. Plus, the reading you do will really benefit you for A2 economics. I think someone a few years ago got 93+ but didn't get an interview and he/she rang them up and it was a clerical error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    If I were you I'd practice graph sketching of complex functions. You need to be able to break the steps up i.e. even/odd functions, limits and stuff. I've seen the MAT and that seems like good practice but haven't really seen the other 2. STEP 1 maybe a bit too much imo, AEA i've heard is easier but still good preparation. I think learning C3-4 would be quite good preparation too, to get yourself more comfortable with maths. Reading TE/FT would be sufficient preparation for the macro side.

IIRC your UMS is v high so you'll definitely get an interview. It's better to be prepared and not get an interview than unprepared and getting an interview. Plus, the reading you do will really benefit you for A2 economics. I think someone a few years ago got 93+ but didn't get an interview and he/she rang them up and it was a clerical error.
    Ok great, I'll definitely do that. STEP 1 doesn't seem as bad as I once thought, obviously I still find it hard but it seems logical enough. I just don't want to be in a situation where I have not even learnt the part of maths that they are talking about. So I'll do AEA, MAT, C3-C4, Common interview Qs and keep reading.

Seems all a bit annoying that it is only a 20minute interview...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got an offer for straight Econ at Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohan202)
    Anyone else got an offer for straight Econ at Nottingham?
    I do! You got any other offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like? Also when did you submit your application and get an offer? Thanks a lot!

I've got an offer from Manchester so far, waiting for more news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrypotterfan6)
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like? Also when did you submit your application and get an offer? Thanks a lot!

I've got an offer from Manchester so far, waiting for more news!
    Erm gcses 9A*s and an A
    AS 4As and a B
    A2 prediction 4A*s

I submitted my application on the 3rd October, and got an aaa offer from leeds last Wednesday and a*abb offer from notts on fri but track was offline so I didn't get to see it until today aha

Where else have you applied? Manchester's a really good uni, bit too close to home for me though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm gcses 9A*s and an A
    AS 4As and a B
    A2 prediction 4A*s

I submitted my application on the 3rd October, and got an aaa offer from leeds last Wednesday and a*abb offer from notts on fri but track was offline so I didn't get to see it until today aha

Where else have you applied? Manchester's a really good uni, bit too close to home for me though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxford, LSE, Nott and Warwick!
    Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Anyone else applying for Economics and Politics? I have offers from Bristol and Manchester so far
    Gongrats on the offers! Im also applying for that course at Bristol. How long did it take for them to respond and what were your predicted grades? If you dont mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrypotterfan6)
    Oxford, LSE, Nott and Warwick!
    Good luck with your application!
    you too! I'm sure if you're applying to oxford and lse you'll get into notts I'm personally just really hoping for a warwick offer atm, their campus is beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YNWA)
    Gongrats on the offers! Im also applying for that course at Bristol. How long did it take for them to respond and what were your predicted grades? If you dont mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They replied in 6 days, my predicted grades are AAA in maths, history, and business studies. What are you predicted grades and where else are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know how long UCL/Warwick take to reply?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nottingham and Manchester, still waiting for hear from Warwick, Bristol and Oxford. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohan202)
    Nottingham and Manchester, still waiting for hear from Warwick, Bristol and Oxford. Wbu?
    I've got nottingham and leeds, waiting for warwick durham and cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got nottingham and leeds, waiting for warwick durham and cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what happened on your track this morning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnetic19)
    what happened on your track this morning?
    Track reopened last night so I managed to see my notts offer then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Track reopened last night so I managed to see my notts offer then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know how long Warwick and UCL take to decide on applications sent around the time of the oxbridge deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnetic19)
    congrats!!
    Thanks! Nottingham has such a nice campus, I'm just happy I can have a firm and an insurance now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sat here having applied to Cambridge lse Warwick Exeter and ucl and I've hear nothing

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for economics and econometrics ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.