Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    I think in reality LMH, Somerville, St Hughes and St Hildas are all cool places to be. The architecture might not be as ancient, but that's it. Any fans out there?
    LMH is really beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I wouldn't really call the six weeks off at Christmas and Easter a holiday :lol:
    Why wouldn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evazilber57)
    Why wouldn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because doing some work over the vacations is (almost) inevitable I don't think I've ever had a proper holiday in the sense of doing absolutely no work except the holiday after my first set of examinations.

From my experience, I'm usually trying to catch up on work that I didn't manage to complete during the term and revising for collections (pre-term mock examinations that you do in 0th week on last term's work). The importance of collections varies depending on tutor and college (eg some don't really care how you fare, others will make you resit if you're below a certain mark), although I imagine you wouldn't want to give your tutors a bad impression since you'd probably need to ask them for references at some point ... Obviously, the more ground you can cover, the easier it will be once it comes to revising for exams.

Closer to exams, you'd obviously be spending quite a lot of time studying and consolidating as well. Most people I know pretty much spent the whole (or majority) of 3rd year Easter vac preparing for Finals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rifleboy123)
    CS offer holder here Oxford emphasize that they're looking at your mathematical and logical ability more than any CS knowledge. People can get a place without ever having coded before as long as they display the potential and ability required. However, make sure that they can see your genuine interest in the subject. Reading a couple of books is always a good start, though don't expect a huge chunk of your PS to appear at interview.

To give yourself the best chance I'd start looking at MAT past papers (the hardest one ever was this year and last year so good luck with your one XD) and familiarise yourself with its content and structure. With regards to the CS (mostly logical) questions in the MAT, I found What is the Name of this Book? to be particularly interesting and helpful.
    I am extremely curious about how hard the 2015 MAT will be. 2013 was hard, 2014 was even harder, hopefully 2015 will be slightly easier.

ReputationRep:
    My ucas track updated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sgk286)
    My ucas track updated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was just about to post this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fanticipation)
    Was just about to post this!
    Well now our worries are gone. We know it is official. Now, the question is can we obtain the grades so that the offer becomes unconditional😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just got my update as well Woohoo!

ReputationRep:
    For the firm choice, it will definitely be Oxford for me. However, for the insurance, i'll give it time to select from Sheffield or Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Track just updated! Gonna firm right now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Track just updated! Just waiting on LSE before I firm Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sgk286)
    My ucas track updated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    bet the summers are lovely. Do you go to LMH clh hilary?
    No. But it's right next to my department.

ReputationRep:
    are u a scientist?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm an offer holder to read physics at St Anne's and I'm from India. So, I'll be applying for the Reach Oxford Scholarship. ( It's the only scholarship available for Indians... ) So, any other buddies applying for the same ? ( specially from India )

I would like to platform across you guys to...

Do post in !

ReputationRep:
    Ahh track finally updated, it wasn't a mistake (I know that sounds stupid, but I was genuinely starting to doubt) and I can make my choices - still deciding on insurance so I'll leave it a while.

ReputationRep:
    Weeeey, UCAS updated...it's NOT a dream!

ReputationRep:
    Offer has come through on track but sixth form policy says I can't firm it until the heads of year have seen my mock results and think I can realistically meet the offer 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemoriarty)
    Thanks! I was interviewed at Mansfield and Somerville -- the Mansfield interview was kind of alright, but I thought the Somerville one went terribly I'm not too worried about my A Levels, I think the A* will be alright to get in Maths, but I've just got to hope I can get the A in Physics because I find the papers quite difficult to score highly on >_> Starting at Oxford, I'm just worried about the work load! And just hoping it won't be massively difficult But looking forward to the sixteen week summer and six week holidays for christmas and easter :awesome:

Haha yes *high fives*
    I think the first interview seemed better because it was more personal and you got the settle into it rather than just go straight in with questions. I just found it soo intense! I think you're in a good position knowing that the A* is sorted, less work will be needed to ensure the A in physics. For me it's opposite, I feel better about the prospect of an A* in physics.
    HA I'm so disorganised I'm barely coping with A levels but I'm hoping when I get to Uni, enjoying the course and being in that environment will motivate me.
    The holiday lengths sound like heaven hehe x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So weird seeing the offer on Track...

(Original post by simba_n)
    Offer has come through on track but sixth form policy says I can't firm it until the heads of year have seen my mock results and think I can realistically meet the offer
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    ...What a stupid rule? Your school doesn't get any say in the matter!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.