The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am sneaking in for a cup of coffee. Interesting range of bills you are debating in the last few weeks of this parliament.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People on daily politics choosing between green and UKIP or green and torys really weird.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
People on daily politics choosing between green and UKIP or green and torys really weird.
NIMBY's.

Judging by the Ashcroft marginal polling it looks like Ukip are a busted flush..

"The most notable movement across the board in this round of polling was a move towards the two main parties at the expense of UKIP, something I also found in the Liberal Democrat battleground last week. In this group of ten seats, the UKIP share had fallen significantly – by up to ten points – in nine of the ten seats polled."
Tactical voting coming into play in marginals?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
NIMBY's.

Judging by the Ashcroft marginal polling it looks like Ukip are a busted flush..
That's good, by the looks of it farrage won't win South Thanet also. So if he quits UKIP dies.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

Tactical voting coming into play in marginals?
We can but hope. Voting for UKIP helps nobody.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's good, by the looks of it farrage won't win South Thanet also. So if he quits UKIP dies.
As I've said before, it's a funny mix of dilapidated seaside town (Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs - which were presumably the reason Labour had the seat pre-2010) and a wealthier, Conservative, inland area.

It's complicated by the fact Labour and the Tories are fairly close so it's somewhat of a 3-way marginal. This means then normal tactical voting to keep out Farage kind of goes out of the window.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
As I've said before, it's a funny mix of dilapidated seaside town (Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs - which were presumably the reason Labour had the seat pre-2010) and a wealthier, Conservative, inland area.

It's complicated by the fact Labour and the Tories are fairly close so it's somewhat of a 3-way marginal. This means then normal tactical voting to keep out Farage kind of goes out of the window.
Margate isn't in South Thanet it's Thanet North. But it is mainly old people there.

and yes, but the polls all suggest a Tory win and the place feels quite Tory.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Margate isn't in South Thanet it's Thanet North. But it is mainly old people there.

and yes, but the polls all suggest a Tory win and the place feels quite Tory.
Is it? I thought it kind of straddled the two, hence the UKIP conference at the Winter Gardens there?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Is it? I thought it kind of straddled the two, hence the UKIP conference at the Winter Gardens there?
Mope, it's Thanet North, there is a but between St. Peter's and margate which staples the two which I fail to recal the name of but margate is Thanet North. But sandwich is Thanet South. That's a really nice place but lots of one way streets.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Mope, it's Thanet North, there is a but between St. Peter's and margate which staples the two which I fail to recal the name of but margate is Thanet North. But sandwich is Thanet South. That's a really nice place but lots of one way streets.
Here's a map of Thanet South, complete with the affiliation of the local councillors. There's more red than I expected, mostly in Ramsgate.

Also (in Thanet North) the town which shares its name with our dear Speaker. I was there last Easter, and it was quite nice.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Here's a map of Thanet South, complete with the affiliation of the local councillors. There's more red than I expected, mostly in Ramsgate.

Also (in Thanet North) the town which shares its name with our dear Speaker. I was there last Easter, and it was quite nice.
That looks about right, other then ramsgate which I would've staked my life on it being blue.

Oh? I haven't had the pleasure of being there for any length of time, just traveling though often late at night.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That looks about right, other then ramsgate which I would've staked my life on it being blue.

Oh? I haven't had the pleasure of being there for any length of time, just traveling though often late at night.
It was alright. It's part of the Costa Geriatrica but compared to most of the seaside towns in North Kent, Birchington is pretty OK. Went for a walk up the beach from there to Reculver in the glorious southern sunshine at the end of last April.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
It was alright. It's part of the Costa Geriatrica but compared to most of the seaside towns in North Kent, Birchington is pretty OK. Went for a walk up the beach from there to Reculver in the glorious southern sunshine at the end of last April.
Ohh then I have been there, I go to reculver often, I as a child crashed into the barbed wire protecting the caravans just as you head back, that wasn't fun.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ohh then I have been there, I go to reculver often, I as a child crashed into the barbed wire protecting the caravans just as you head back, that wasn't fun.
Sounds nasty.

I've been to Reculver twice, once in Year 2 on a school trip and once last Easter.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Sounds nasty.

I've been to Reculver twice, once in Year 2 on a school trip and once last Easter.
it was:sad: though that was years ago.

there isn't that much to see there though, I'm not even sure what it's used for.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I am sneaking in for a cup of coffee. Interesting range of bills you are debating in the last few weeks of this parliament.
Are you still trying to resurrect the MRLP?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
it was:sad: though that was years ago.

there isn't that much to see there though, I'm not even sure what it's used for.
It's a very large caravan park with some Roman towers and a beach.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Are you still trying to resurrect the MRLP?
Looking at a lifetime membership?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Looking at a lifetime membership?
It'll be a long wait yet...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
It's a very large caravan park with some Roman towers and a beach.
There's a beach??? I don't remember that
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads