Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    16th over: England 150-3 (Morgan 37, Buttler 48)

19th over: England 171 all out.

ReputationRep:
    A day after Brendan's knock, ABdV's knock was awesome to watch. Like commentary noted, they took a chance to prepare for the World T20 by getting the chunk of the runs in the first powerplay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England need to realise that days like this will happen - but their players, particularly in the field, need to develop a brain cell.

I actually felt Topley rebounded from the disappointment of the first T20 pretty well, but Jordan and Rashid were poor, and Moeen doesn't seem to know which end of the bat to hold right now.

Morgan's mishap for the run-out was so unfortunate and poor decision making from him, while Roy's overt aggression at his dismissal will surely mean he's reprimanded by the authorities.

I think Topley was issued with a fine for his knocking over of the stumps at the end of the first T20 when he fumbled the run-out chance.

It was a real thumping at the hands of SA today. A shame England's tour has had to end with five consecutive defeats, because it has been so entertaining and they are an exciting side who have developed plenty in the limited over/white ball arena since last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Anybody tipping anybody other than India for the World T20?

Posted from TSR Mobile

everyone is a good contender, even the west indies have a shot.

ReputationRep:
    NZ need a Williamson special.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    NZ need a Williamson special.
    They certainly do. He's been quiet all tour up until now.

Wagner deployed the short and bounce technique really well, to be honest, but NZ are too often caught behind. Their first few batsman have a penchant for getting knicks and caught in the slips, or by the keeper.

McCullum went out with a flurry and that last shot - a great take from Warner in the field - was typical B-Mac: aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    They certainly do. He's been quiet all tour up until now.

Wagner deployed the short and bounce technique really well, to be honest, but NZ are too often caught behind. Their first few batsman have a penchant for getting knicks and caught in the slips, or by the keeper.

McCullum went out with a flurry and that last shot - a great take from Warner in the field - was typical B-Mac: aggressive.
    I don't think Williamson often goes a whole series without getting a score, so am hoping that he shows some fight along with their lower middle order.

Still need to watch the highlights of McCullum's first innings century. NZ need to bat for the whole of the 4th day to give themselves a chance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think Williamson often goes a whole series without getting a score, so am hoping that he shows some fight along with their lower middle order.

Still need to watch the highlights of McCullum's first innings century. NZ need to bat for the whole of the 4th day to give themselves a chance.
    McCullum famously loves the Hagley Oval.

After the earthquake devastated it and it reopened in 2014, he smashed the fastest Test hundred by a NZ player against SL.

ReputationRep:
    For the WT20, I think most teams have a decent chance:

India - firm favourites as it is at home, and we generally play well under pressure and in tournaments. We have most bases covered, although there is still a question about our middle order as they haven't had much of a chance recently. Bowling wise, spin is going to be important, and I believe we have a strong attack with both Ashwin and Jadeja.

Pakistan - Haven't really seen Pakistan play T20 cricket for some time so can't really talk a lot about them, but they have often struggled chasing big totals and so their batting will be under pressure. Bowling wise, they are a strong unit, although with Yasir Shah banned, they may struggle.

Sri Lanka - SL are always strong contenders in tournaments, and in sub continental conditions, I don't think this will be any different. Will be interesting to see how they do without Sanga and Jayawardena, though.

Bangladesh - Again, haven't seen much of them in T20 cricket recently, but they have become a much improved side recently, and they have some chance. They will be fairly dependent on Shakib, in my opinion. I just realised that Bangladesh aren't automatically in the WT20 and have to qualify.

England - Conditions in India are vastly different to SA, but how they deal with spin will be the most important. I don't see them winning the tournament.

South Africa - A lot of their success will depend on the top 3 (Amla, ABDV and De Kock), will be interesting to see how they perform if these three fail. Am not sure if they can go on to win the tournament, but have high hopes for them to get to the semis, at least.

Australia - Despite getting whitewashed against India recently, I feel like they are always strong contenders in tournaments and this is no different. They have firepower at the top and in the middle order. A lot might come down to their spinning options (or lack of).

New Zealand - With Brendon McCullum retiring before the WT20, I cannot really see them winning the tournament, but there should be no surprise if they get far.

West Indies - A few of their top players have opted out of the WT20, so I am not really sure what impact they will have. They have always been quite a strong T20 side, so I can't rule them out, just yet.

Associates - The two associate sides have still not been decided, but lets hope, whoever they are, they can produce some good and close games.

I know it is still quite early before the WT20 and there is still cricket to be played, like the Asia Cup, but these are my thoughts, at the moment. They are likely to change as we get closer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For the WT20, I think most teams have a decent chance:

England - Conditions in India are vastly different to SA, but how they deal with spin will be the most important. I don't see them winning the tournament.
    Great post. I'll post my thoughts on Australia/SA/NZ later.

England will not win it - but hopefully we'll show our brand of aggressive cricket and our players will have enjoyed their well-earned break post-SA.

A month ago, we looked in a really strong position. Sadly, I think the players are burned out and ending the tour in SA with five consecutive losses is hardly inspiring form.

Stokes needs to learn how to make an impact across an entire innings, and we need to stop relying on Root/Hales.

Morgan needs more choices in the attack, but we shouldn't be telling our side to disregard their free, attacking nature. That's the right philosophy to have.

ReputationRep:
    McCullum famously loves the Hagley Oval.

After the earthquake devastated it and it reopened in 2014, he smashed the fastest Test hundred by a NZ player against SL.
    Not meaning to be pedantic, but the Hagley Oval was never used for test or ODI cricket before the earthquake and was very rarely even used for first class cricket. The Jade Stadium to the southeast of the city was where international matches were played but the earthquake made it structurally unsound and it can't be used any more. It was a real shame too as it had not long been upgraded with new stands. I would however say that having been to watch international matches at both the Jade (England in 2008) and the Hagley Oval (Sri Lanka 2014), the Hagley is the more cricket feeling ground as the Jade was a typical NZ Rugby/Cricket hybrid that don't really work for either purpose.

The current set up at Hagley is fairly temporary but it is going to be properly developed now as the home of cricket in Christchurch going forward, but as I understand it will maintain its traditional NZ boutique ground feel thankfully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gavin_1980)
    Not meaning to be pedantic, but the Hagley Oval was never used for test or ODI cricket before the earthquake and was very rarely even used for first class cricket. The Jade Stadium to the southeast of the city was where international matches were played but the earthquake made it structurally unsound and it can't be used any more. It was a real shame too as it had not long been upgraded with new stands. I would however say that having been to watch international matches at both the Jade (England in 2008) and the Hagley Oval (Sri Lanka 2014), the Hagley is the more cricket feeling ground as the Jade was a typical NZ Rugby/Cricket hybrid that don't really work for either purpose.

The current set up at Hagley is fairly temporary but it is going to be properly developed now as the home of cricket in Christchurch going forward, but as I understand it will maintain its traditional NZ boutique ground feel thankfully!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't realise that. Thanks for the clarification.

I really want to get to the Hagley Oval one day, and Wanderers/Newlands in SA.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say Morgan when he hits the middle of the bat makes a beautiful sound! He gets brilliant distance on his sixes - it seems he may have made an error going for the extra batsman but tournament competition is where he will be judged.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Australia 70-1 at stumps on day four and require 131 to win series and seal top ranking on day five.

This is Warner's first ever Test series without a half-century or ton, by the way.

I thought Jackson Bird bowled well, but Watling and Henry were at the heart of the NZ fight back and batted superbly to allow the hosts to clock up a decent total.

These Aussies aren't half short-tempered. Hazlewood and Smith fumed at the umpires, and the former can expect a ban after pleading guilty to the ICC.

ReputationRep:
    Islamabad United (led by Misbah and including Haddin, Russell, Smith) beat Quetta Gladiators (led by Sarfaraz including KP, Ahmed Shehzad, Sangakkara) in the final of the PSL. TBF, it has been a good tournament and plans to nudge it up next time by attempting to have the first and last match of the tournament in Pakistan but that's for another day - was sceptical PCB would deliver but credit to them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really rate India in the T20 format, obviously, but I do worry about their batting line-up - particularly between numbers four and seven. They are key positions, but the players there - particularly Dhoni and Yuvraj - often play with fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Islamabad United (led by Misbah and including Haddin, Russell, Smith) beat Quetta Gladiators (led by Sarfaraz including KP, Ahmed Shehzad, Sangakkara) in the final of the PSL. TBF, it has been a good tournament and plans to nudge it up next time by attempting to have the first and last match of the tournament in Pakistan but that's for another day - was sceptical PCB would deliver but credit to them.
    I was delighted with the result. The final was a good match. Sanga was classy as ever. Haddin did extremely well. KP was poor throughout the whole tournament. No wonder England have moved on from him. He is past his prime.

ReputationRep:
    india is getting rekt by bangladesh!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bye bye B-Mac. He goes out after firing the quickest Test century, but it's a testament to the man that he's probably disappointed NZ didn't tie the series.

They didn't bowl anywhere near enough to trouble Australia - aside from Wagner, who consistently looked to ruffle the Aussies feathers with short balls and bouncers.

Australia are now the best Test side in the world - but Smith is right. He needs to learn from McCullum on how to lead, and how to make his side likeable.

ReputationRep:
    Great post. I'll post my thoughts on Australia/SA/NZ later.

England will not win it - but hopefully we'll show our brand of aggressive cricket and our players will have enjoyed their well-earned break post-SA.

A month ago, we looked in a really strong position. Sadly, I think the players are burned out and ending the tour in SA with five consecutive losses is hardly inspiring form.

Stokes needs to learn how to make an impact across an entire innings, and we need to stop relying on Root/Hales.

Morgan needs more choices in the attack, but we shouldn't be telling our side to disregard their free, attacking nature. That's the right philosophy to have.
    I have no doubt that you will continue to play your aggressive style, especially under Eoin Morgan. The players have a month or so break until the WT20 which should be enough. It is obviously disappointing that you ended up losing the ODI series and then the T20 series, but there are, surely, some positives for England to take from it.

I really rate India in the T20 format, obviously, but I do worry about their batting line-up - particularly between numbers four and seven. They are key positions, but the players there - particularly Dhoni and Yuvraj - often play with fear.
    I get what you mean. The biggest problem has been that they haven't had thaaaat much of an opportunity recently. Yuvraj has just come back into the Indian side and so he will definitely take time to get back into it and I actually think that Dhoni has been a lot more explosive recently. So often, he takes such a long time to settle down and then go big, but recently we have seen him come in and get sixes from the beginning.

I don't have any issues with our bowling attack, surprisingly.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.