Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    was going to put both but it said only 1 condition so ijust put alcoholic. im sure both will be right too though
    I just wrote aqueous 😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarly9)
    Very nearly it was ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c (ch3)2 (oh)
    That is a tertiary alcohol and wouldn't turn a potassium dichromate solution green.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent R5)
    I put that but its wrong, that gives you a tertiary alcohol and it doesn't form a green ppt
    Think we can stilll get marks for the workings if it cant we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    I think this is what I put:

KCN ethanolic aqueous solution

then

LiAlH4 ether
    Agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    I agree. The only thing affecting Kc is temperature - thus rate will only depend on the differing ratio of propanone to protons.

Don't worry, others said they found it hard, I suspect 120 UMS will be no higher than 90.
    Out of all the past papers from our spec the lowest that 120 UMS has ever been is 92 so I wouldn't bank on less than that

(Original post by High Stakes)
    Step 3 was a substitution question to go from Br to a CN group. So I said KCN aqueous and alcohol.

The final step was reduction, so Hydrogen & Nickel Catalyst.
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    I think this is what I put:

KCN ethanolic aqueous solution

then

LiAlH4 ether
    (Original post by Joxnna_)
    ethanolic KCN and AlLiH4 in ether (or hydrogen with nickel catalyst)
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizem.Tekin)
    Please someone say that exam was hard for them too... I started having a panic attack in there... It went horribly and I revised so much for this exam
    that sucks mann, i didn't think it was that hard compared to previous years, personally i did quite well(aiming for a*, gotta do well in chem 5 too for that) i think in general there will be fairly high boundries, 2-3 up from last year.

ReputationRep:
    What were the orders of reaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fibsy)
    Oh, you again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you so much for posting this :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarly9)
    Very nearly it was ch3-o-ch2-ch2-c (ch3)2 (oh)
    No because that is a tertiary alcohol which won't turn Acidified Potassium Dichromate green.

ReputationRep:
    Any one doing core 3 tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2Cr2O7)
    For the Lidocaine, did anyone put that it could be dissolved in water so it is able to be injected into a specific area (as it was a local anaesthetic) and that a solid tablet would not focus on a specific area ?
    Lidocaine Hydrochloride is soluble in water whereas Lidocaine freebase is an insoluble oil

The HCL can be dissolved in your blood the freebase can not

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a nucleophilic addition? The O:- accepts a proton to form a hydroxyl group.
    That's what I put aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Well that was f**king brutal

ReputationRep:
    i thought this exam would be hard but doable but no im effed up add that to the fact that chem 5 is coming up only god knows how hard thats going to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boundless_x)
    Hey everyone, I'm heading to school now and I just wanted to wish everyone GOOD LUCK! Even if there are things you keep forgetting, don't panic, it will come to you once you're in the exam! See you guys after the exam....
    No amount of luck could help anyone in that exam! I actually want to cry 😰

ReputationRep:
    I hope so :/

When I say 'wasn't too bad', I mean, compared to the potato in AQA physics last year, not too bad.
    ah I see. I found it so bad D:

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I thought the exam was pretty straight foward. They tried to make it over complicated to f*** people over by adding like 25 benzenes to a question and making some spooky rate calculations and stuff. The last question I got a tertiary alcohol which sucks. Grade boundaries will probabaly be lower since I think it was harder than other papers.

ReputationRep:
    for the very first ph question, I got 1.42?

everyone else is saying around 2 something but from a past paper with a similar question it said '25cm3 sample of 0.0850 HCl' placed in a beaker and 100cm3 water added . The mark scheme wanted you to do 25 +100 = 125 then 125/25 = 5 then 0.0850/5 then log this answer.

and the first question was basically the same as it started with 100cm3 and 50cm3 added so 150/50 = 3 so I divided my answer by 3 and logged it.
    I only remembered that because I went over it this morning
    did anyone else get 1.42?

ReputationRep:
    Rate equation no longer has propanone in it because it's concentration is now so large it is considered a constant,

I got the last question wrong do you think i will get any marks I got

CH3 O CH2CH2C(CH3)2OH yes it's a tertiary alcohol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.