Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel S2 exam?
    Very hard
    14.71%
    Hard
    33.57%
    Normal
    29.72%
    Easy
    15.42%
    Very easy
    6.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exclamationmark)
    How did people get 225? I ended up solving the quadratic p^2 + 0.7p - 55.5 <0 something like that 🙈
    It was n and sqrt(n) so the roots of the quadratic are equal to the sqrt of n and then you square the positive one as sqrt(x)≥0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj99)
    I just put 225 in the whole thing and it worked out to get the probability they showed, my friend put both in when u find the z values, and said you get negative z for 342.25 i think? you didn't really have to say why you picked what?
    Yeah I subbed back in and you do get -Z, somehow didn't think to take the other root :/ hoping I get 6/8 or so for method marks

ReputationRep:
    I just put 225 in the whole thing and it worked out to get the probability they showed, my friend put both in when u find the z values, and said you get negative z for 342.25 i think? you didn't really have to say why you picked what?
    Basically 342.25 would have worked if you took the negative square root at the bottom but idk

I think and hope it's 225 cause that worked flawlessly when i plugged it back in and it only asked for 1 value

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain what I did wrong as I can't see it! I got n=271!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  457.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecupcakes1997)
    [5,9]
    I did 5^2pi = 25pi and 9^2pi = 81pi
    Then i wrote [25pi,81pi]
    E(X) = 1/2(25pi+81pi)
    = 53pi
    That's exactly what I did, pretty sure we were wrong though :/ Oh well, hopefully at least 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameofthrones1)

You expanded (55.5 - 0.2n)^2 incorrectly

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys for the 8 mark question i got n=62 which i know is wrong, but i want to know how much marks you think i could get, because i made a mistake when squarerooting 0.16n so i didnt do the quadratic equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apzoe)
    Guys what values did you get for a, b and k?
    What did you get

I only did k and b , b is 8 as given and k is 1/9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You've written 1.75 then changed it to 1.45

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exclamationmark)
    How did people get 225? I ended up solving the quadratic p^2 + 0.7p - 55.5 <0 something like that 🙈
    You get 555-2p=7sqrtp and if you square all of that then you got 4p^2 -2269p + 555^2 =0 and then if you solve it using the quadratic function you get two answers 225 and something else with a point 25 in and as you were finding n it had to be a whole number so 225 was the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamelessPersona)
    How many marks out of 8 do you think this would score, i made the same mistake :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasamin3)
    Hey guys for the 8 mark question i got n=62 which i know is wrong, but i want to know how much marks you think i could get, because i made a mistake when squarerooting 0.16n so i didnt do the quadratic equation
    I would say 4, an M1 for using normal approx, an A1 for half cc, and an M1 and A1 for getting to 55.5-0.2n = 1.75*sqrt(0.16n)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iipebblesii)
    You've written 1.75 then changed it to 1.45
    My handwriting is quite bad, its 1.75 still haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S14151)
    How many marks out of 8 do you think this would score, i made the same mistake :/
    I'd say at least 4 look at my previous post

ReputationRep:
    I would say 4, an M1 for using normal approx, an A1 for half cc, and an M1 and A1 for getting to 55.5-0.2n = 1.75*sqrt(0.16n)
    Not too bad, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Did I? I thought we didn't have to treat them as bracketed?

ReputationRep:
    I got 342 too! is it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Did I? I thought we didn't have to treat them as bracketed?
    If you square both sides you treat it as a bracket

ReputationRep:
    how many marks out of 8 just for not appling the continuity correction? everything else was correct just my quadratic was -55 not -55.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran1119)
    You get 555-2p=7sqrtp and if you square all of that then you got 4p^2 -2269p + 555^2 =0 and then if you solve it using the quadratic function you get two answers 225 and something else with a point 25 in and as you were finding n it had to be a whole number so 225 was the answer
    Ah thank you, sorry, but how was the 2n derived? As I thought 1.75 (z value) = (55.5 - n) / (0.16n)^0.5

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.